Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey whats up?

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if i can unlock my bios setting on my PC?
When i went to my bios to overclock my PC i could not access the proper settings... so i did some research and i found out that my bios might be locked or even worse that im SOL and i might not be able to overclock at all.
So if anyone can help me or give me some advise on how to unlock/bypass my bios or distinguish if i can or cant overclock it would be much appreciated.

Thanx

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
If you have a oem pc like dell and hp the chances are that it's locked. However you can use software like setfsb but i would advise against it as it may be more harm than good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just want to overclock my processor to 2.8~3.0 GHz. do any of you think thats possible with the stuff i am working with now?
-and what are the draw backs of setfsb that might do more harm than good?

Thanx for the replies.

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Litehiser View Post
I just want to overclock my processor to 2.8~3.0 GHz. do any of you think thats possible with the stuff i am working with now?
-and what are the draw backs of setfsb that might do more harm than good?

Thanx for the replies.
BIOS OC > Software OC.

Also, if you aren't running an aftermarket cooler, temperatures could get bad... and is it really worth possibly damaging your machine for 400 mhz?

It's an HP.

If I were you, I would just buy a board that would accommodate your CPU/Ram, get a PSU and new case, and voila, you have a new overclockable machine. What difference are you expecting to see with such a tiny increase in clock speed?

also, there's a downloadable BIOS for that board, if you're willing to chance bricking it:
http://mxdtr.com/pegatron-m2n78-la-m...river-drivers/

Google > no google.

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
With setfsb the software may increase the voltages to what it thinks is necessary but not actual and overvolt your system (chip) and with that comes heat which is a thing all overclockers avoid.

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1ForFrags View Post
You already made a thread about this.....

http://www.overclock.net/amd-motherb...p-xd-bios.html
Lol, he didn't get the answer he wanted the first time... an hour ago... in a different thread. Maybe this would be different?

Wait, still can't overclock OEM machines? That answer isn't really gonna change much.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Litehiser
View Post

Lol Thanks for the advise trogalicious and everyone else who replied. I really appreciate the help ^^.

~If anyone else has more/different advise please share.
Thanx Again

I know it is a bummer man. I have been in your shoes. It doesn't matter how many threads you start about this you are just out of luck at this point and the answer is going to be the same.

At least you have learned something about your computer and I am sure on your next one you know what to look for

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
Definitely should go and sell yoru PC, and rebuild from scratch =)~

Get a mobo that CAN overclock.

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Lol Thanks for the advise trogalicious and everyone else who replied. I really appreciate the help ^^.

~If anyone else has more/different advise please share.
Thanx Again

No worries man. You have a decent start though.. if you already have the 8gb of ram, a Phenom x4 9750, some hard drives, etc... you're already on your way. Pick up an inexpensive case (CM 330, antec 300, refurb'd CM690), get a decent PSU and aftermarket cooling, then upgrade the GPU later... at least that would get you running on an overclocked machine.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Your title is misleading. I was hoping to read about something awesome.

But yes, OEM pc's are only made to do what the manufacturer wanted. I got one with a Q6600, put it in a new mobo, and still couldn't squeeze anything out of the CPU. I have a feeling OEM's don't get the best chips either.

Newegg is a great place for parts, for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Can Someone give me a good website to buy computers,hardware,software ect.
My friend told me newegg.com was good, but if there's a better please share the wealth ^^

newegg is the benchmark for finding general stuff. If you get into extreme modding, watercooling, and other stuff like that, there are other stores.

Newegg will get you the basics that you need.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.