Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been playing the Battlefield 3 beta. And i've noticed some laag. FPS laag that is. I'm managing 30FPS average on a 6950 TOXIC 2GB... So I'm wondering what's holding me back. Is it my CPU? If so. Would getting a full 1080p monitor make my game worse? I plan to redo the guts of my rig sometime during the holidays/newyear but I'm just wondering before BF3 comes out. Getting a monitor would be a bad move?

PS: My monitor currently is a nice Samsung <3 But it's max is 1600 x 900. Which doesn't necessarily look so nice xD In about two weeks a little before BF3 comes out Ill have around 200$ to blow. So I'm thinking of getting the monitor... Just don't know if it will make my game MUCH worse...
confused.gif

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's a safe amount to OC it too. I have water cooling on it. So I guess that helps a lot... I just really don't want to screw my computer up or take any huge risks, as I don't have a lot of money right now to buy a whole new setup inside. It'l have to wait till probably new years.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseidon;15237341
At 2.3 GHz, your CPU is almost certainly bottlenecking your video card.
So what exactly does that mean? Does that sorta mean that. My GPU is doing great and putting out high FPS but my CPU can't process it all?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by INF1NIT3;15237385
What's a safe amount to OC it too. I have water cooling on it. So I guess that helps a lot... I just really don't want to screw my computer up or take any huge risks, as I don't have a lot of money right now to buy a whole new setup inside. It'l have to wait till probably new years.
Truth be told. I have... Never overclocked.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by INF1NIT3;15237394
So what exactly does that mean? Does that sorta mean that. My GPU is doing great and putting out high FPS but my CPU can't process it all?
Yep. It means your GPU is cranking out good framerates but you CPU can't keep up with it. Your CPU is the weak link in the chain, if you will
wink.gif

EDIT:

It varies from chip to chip, but I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to take the clock on your CPU up to at least 3GHz.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay good to know it's my CPU/DDR2 4GB... But I don't think I'm going to overclock just yet. I think I'm going to wait a few days before I get off school for winter holidays. Probly try it out a week or so before I get my new cpu. I just really don't wanna risk frying, or screwing my CPU up majorly before I even have the money to replace it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts