Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Just thought i would introduce myself on the AMD part of the forum.

Just recently upgraded and came accross the site when looking for overclocking tips, which i will sit and go through soon enough.

after 6 long years i thought it was time to upgrade from the intel e6600 which has never let me down, mixed with a modest 3gb ram and a silect xfx 7950gt later upgradeto a 9800gtx

anyway my new build build was done on a midrange budget and pretty much everything was bought on offer.

AMD fx8120
Asrock extream 3 990fx
8gb corsair ddr3
be quiet aftermarket cpu cooler
60gb OCZ SSD
backup using a 500gb samsung 7200rpm SATA
MSI 6850 1gb OC i was after a 6870 but at £76.99 the 6850 was too good to pass.

that is pretty much it, i am hoping to do some amature overclocking as the software that came with the mobo seems pretty straight forward.

im going to have a little nosey round and see what information i can gain
biggrin.gif

Regards

Chris

·
Registered
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calv View Post

Hey,
Just thought i would introduce myself on the AMD part of the forum.
Just recently upgraded and came accross the site when looking for overclocking tips, which i will sit and go through soon enough.
after 6 long years i thought it was time to upgrade from the intel e6600 which has never let me down, mixed with a modest 3gb ram and a silect xfx 7950gt later upgradeto a 9800gtx
anyway my new build build was done on a midrange budget and pretty much everything was bought on offer.
AMD fx8120
Asrock extream 3 990fx
8gb corsair ddr3
be quiet aftermarket cpu cooler
60gb OCZ SSD
backup using a 500gb samsung 7200rpm SATA
MSI 6850 1gb OC i was after a 6870 but at £76.99 the 6850 was too good to pass.
that is pretty much it, i am hoping to do some amature overclocking as the software that came with the mobo seems pretty straight forward.
im going to have a little nosey round and see what information i can gain
biggrin.gif

Regards
Chris
First off nice build, I wish i could of afforded an 8120+6800 Series combo or mid range 7000 series, but nonetheless can't beat it for $500 i spent on all mine. How much was yours? Everything looks pretty solid though, most FX chips clock to 4.0GHZ On stock Volts, sometimes 4.2GHZ. Just PLEASE DO NOT USE SOFTWARE programs to do your overclock. Only use AMD overdrive to disable APM, and go into your bios to disable Turbo/ c1e/c6 and CnQ till you get a stable overclock on your chip then put them back on( Cause everyone likes a low power bill right?) But those are some tips i can give, and most of the newer batches of 6850's unlock to 6870's Shader/memory clocks! So go ahead and give a try at overclocking the GX as well if your trying to be modest. Lastly, Try to keep temperatures below 50C* on the CPU, and not above 70C* from i've seen on the GPU. Going over is fine to an extent you don't destroy your Chip/GX, but max Temps for the 8120 are 61C*, and i'm not too sure on the 6850's thermal desgin so you'll need to research that. Best of luck to you, and welcome to OCN!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome.

I had a budget of around £300GBP to do a basic upgrade keeping in mind that i was going to stay with the 9800gtx

the CPU was on offer for £130gbp the ram was about £40 the motherboard was £80GBP approx. it was the little additional bits that i didnt calculate for i.e the SSD the big CPU cooler new case and i was expecting to pay £60 for a new PSU.

i think all in all im looking at £600GBP and ive had to hide the invoices from the misses
biggrin.gif
she would hang me up by my man bits if she knew lol.

so say i just plan on doing some light overclocking, is using the motherboard software not a good idea? i am really knew to this and the only other bit of overclocking i have done was messing round in the bios of my old rig and i got the e6600 running at 2.9ghz.

thans again

·
Registered
83 Posts
Aim for a 4Ghz+Overclock, try to get it stable around 4ghz on stock volts it may need one up in voltage. Overclocking your Northbridge is a nice performance boost also. Mine won't work past 2700+ so i keep it at 2615, Most people can get 2400-2800 [email protected] 1.225 or 1.2350volts, 4.5Ghz-4.7Ghz with 1.4volts- 1.48volts needed on the CPU, and upping your RAM can have some added benefits in benchmarks but not too much on performance. i run 1904Mhz @ 1.68Volts 9-11-11-29-40 Timings, Shoot for 1600Mhz on auto then set your timings manually before you reboot your system into windows. You can overclock it to 1866 or 2000Mh, but i dont know what your Rams binned at so i'd just shoot for 1600MHZ for now until you provide that. Lastly, You can overclock your CPU either Multiplier or FSB, A mix of both is the best performance boost, But don't push your FSB too hard, Cause it Raises Ram/Cpu/ HTT/ and Northbridge Speeds. It's all about playing around with these chips, but keep in mind, ALL CHIPS ARE DIFFERENT, so when mine may need 1.45Volts @ 4.6ghz, yours may need 1.48Volts @ 4.5ghz. All food for thought, ask the forums questions we'll all be glad to help you out!

Edit: As you raise FSB, or Ram/Htt/northbridge you may need to raise your CPU-NB volts a little bit. Keep it under 1.45Volts cause you risk blowing a capacitor or killing your hardware. Most people don't recommend past 1.4Volts but it can vary.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks,

you have gone into some nice detail there, its something i can work with quite easily. my ram is 1600mhz stock it is the corsair vengeance (spell check) so it has some nice big cooling on it.

i will do a little bit this afternoon after installing some updates etc. . .

the one thing i did notice was after i gave it a benchmark on futuremark 11 my cpu hit 61c which is something i didnt expect considering the cooler i have on there is recomended for overclocking and is 3or4 times the size of the stock cooler. this has made me a bit weary about clocking it a noticable amount.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well thank you, And what kind of cooler did you buy for your overclocking adventures? I would recommend reseating your cooler, Spreading the thermal paste over the coolers copper plate, Not too much, about A dime size worth of a blotch and spread it all over it. Then Make sure you have it firmly down onto the CPU. 61C* is the max temps for the CPU to reach, BUT What monitoring program are you using? I would recommond Hardware Monitor 1.13, And THRM + TMPIN1 will be the readings you wanna go off of. Core temps can be pretty off reading until the CPU's under full load. As for your RAM, i say you can overclock it to 1866+, but you'll need to probably loosen your timings a little or overvolt your RAM like i did, but i trust my Nice big heatsinks on my RIPJAWS, they stay kinda warm, but not enough to frighten me. Just report back with what you come up with, and i'll help you as best as i can, or someone else might jump onboard to give more advice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the CPU cooler has won a couple of awards and is recommended as a very good upgrade link below

well i tried a little bit of OC'ing but taking the FSB up past 233mhz it just doesnt want to know and it blue screens! i even notched the voltage up just a little but it didnt have any of it.

so then i had a little play around with the asrock software, i know you said dont but i was just testing. and again anythin past 233mhz and it just doesnt play ball. strange :s

oh sorry ive been using the asrock software to test the CPU temps, this went upto 69c after putting it through prime95 which im guessing isnt a good thing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Have you tried playing around with the CPU-NB Volts? Along with Actual bump the NB up one volt. On top of bumping up the CPU Vcore? I'd still try reseating the Heatsink you bought, cause it might be off center, and then the CPU will get Hot underload cause it has nothing to Dissipate the massive amount of heat the Bulldozers put out.... ( Bulldozer's are power hungry, and Put out alot of heat if you haven't noticed). I'd Also try a small multiplier overclocking, With FSB mix, Like a 19x Multi + 215 Fsb Would lead a almost 4.1Ghz overclock.( If you do this, I'd Recommend 1.35Volts or 1.36/ 1.30-1.32 Cpu NB/ And one bump in NB voltage) And have you tried Overclocking your NB to 2400-2800? It gives a noticeable difference in Overall system performance. Also, is their any LLC on your Board? Or Presets VIA bios Software overclocking, Like in the actual bios? My Biostar came with a overclock engine on it, that can succesfully do 4.2Ghz on Stock Volts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The below are my default settings, the whole NB and voltage increase is entirely new to me so its going to take me a while to get used to it. 'TURBO' mode is currently enabled.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Once again, it's highly advised you don't use Overclocking Software too many problems can occur, From registry errors, Disks error, Volt problems, Etc. Its best you go into your Bios Manually set everything and get used to how it works before you go any further. On a last note, Take my earlier posts and apply them to your overclocking and you'll see your Performance go through the Roof. Just Don't push your Hardware any farther then you think it can, But if you think it can do more, Just come back and post your settings and the trouble your having! Most People Settle on 4.4Ghz-4.8GHz overclocks, 2400-2800 Northbridge Speeds, And As high as you can possibly take your Ram Speeds with the tightest timings possible. But if your content with your 4.0Ghz overclock and it does everything you ask it too with Ease, Leave it were it's at, Cause as you Slowly Reach 1.4Volts+ and higher NB Volts+Ram volts, etc, your Power Draw is going to Skyrocket and put a hurting on your pocket. best of luck to you, And google some Diagrams on How The motherboard Distributes Voltages, Like Northbridge, Southbridge, Ram Modules, CPU controller, Cpu-nb, And HTT are just a start so you get a feel for were the Volts are needed if you desire to Take your Fx-8120 to higher clocks!
thumb.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts