Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3894/s...clash-dellr815

Quote:
Servers with the newest Intel six-core Xeon hit the market in April. The fastest six-cores Xeons were able to offer up to twice the performance of six-core Opteron “Istanbulâ€. The reason for this was that the age of the integer core in AMD's Opteron was starting to show. While the floating point part got a significant overhaul in 2007 with the AMD "Barcelona" quad-core chip, the integer part was a tuned version of the K8, launched back in 2003. This was partly compensated by large improvements in the multi-core performance scaling departement: HT-assist, faster CPU interconnects, larger L3 caches, and so on.

To counter this lower per-core performance, AMD's efforts focused on the "Magny-Cours" MCMs that scaled even better thanks to HT 3.0 and four DDR3 memory controllers. AMD’s twelve-core processors were launched at the end of March 2010, but servers based on these “Magny-Cours†Opterons were hard to find. So for a few months, Intel dominated the midrange and high-end server market. HP and Dell informed us that they would launch the "Magny-Cours" servers in June 2010. That is history now, and server buyers have an alternative again for the ubiquitous Xeon Servers.
I've been contemplating getting a Dell R815, looks like I might go through with it after all!

·
Premium Member
14,325 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by frickfrock99 View Post
Well possibly, but I live in Chicago, owning a car here would end up costing more than it's worth in parking and storage.

But honestly? What would you need a $14,000 server for? Candy bar website?

·
Premium Member
14,325 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dieanotherday View Post
guys

please tell me why servers need to be so powerful...

arn't servers simply a meeting point between people on the internet?

#1 to run virtual machines accessed by hundreds of users.

#2 to handle all the requests of the users, storage, accessing files on the storage

#3 To predict weather, and predict outcomes (usually super computers not servers though)

etc...

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Quote:

guys

I own a web hosting company. Our servers are all i7 980, 12-24GB of DDR3 Ram and at least 4TB. Our servers need to be this powerful, since we are hosting many website on them. They need to be split into individual VPS's (virtual machines) and be able to handle the bandwidth that we offer (upwards of 30TB monthly). There is a lot of things happening on the servers, so I need as much power as possible. At some point we will be upgrading to dual socket i7 systems.

My Exchange server alone uses 16GB of ram.....

·
Banned
5,000 Posts
K the DL585 is NOT high end. Try a Gen. 7 DL980. Two Nehalem-EX chips, and you can stack up to 4 of those boards in a rack with HP's custom engineered hardware. 8 processors. 2TB memory max.

Look what this freight carrier did to this $32,000 DL980 server! They skimmed off the bottom of the box with careless forklift activity... so what is the answer? WRAP IT IN LETTUCE BOXES! LOL

Quote:

please do explain more about these servers =d
They host applications... what else would they do?

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dieanotherday
View Post

guys

The company I work for, several of are clients own R910 servers... several of them each.

For example: one client has 3 R910 servers and a huge SAN... The reasoning: They are an ambulance service and there call center needs 100% uptime. They have the R910 servers setup in a active-active cluster so if one fails the others will pick up nearly instantly. These servers run all of there critical programs along with their website.

The r910 is an absolutely ridiculous piece of machinery though. Seeing 24 cores in taskmgr is very jaw dropping.

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
I've got some DL380s coming in the next week or so with X5650s and 72GB RAM in them. I will get many, many VMs on these bad boys.

I must I dispute Anand's complaint about the HPs essentially having "too many options". The level of configurability is a strength to business, not a weakness. Now the flip side of that is that trying to decipher an HP annual maintenance contract to figure out what you're actually paying for is like trying to learn how to speak Latin...by reading a textbook written for Hebrew speakers...written by a guy whose primary language is Arabic.

I also find fault with them calling any of these servers "mid-range" (much less high end). A mid-range server is a very specific class of machine likely to cost into six figures, not one of which these fall into. In fact, mid-range occupies the gap between commodity servers like these and mainframe scale computing (yes, mainframes still exist).

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieanotherday
View Post

guys

Oh my...methinks you need to spend a little time with Google or Wikipedia!

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Quote:

guys

No sir they are not. I bought 3 of the Dell R905s with 4 6 core AMD cpus each and 128GB of RAM per box. These are used for a VM cluster just for one Oracle Database with one mirrored database. These servers are at about 60% cpu usage right now. So in another 3 years we will most likely be ready to upgrade again like we planned. There are tons of uses for servers that for someone that has never been in the field would never know about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KusH View Post
The company I work for, several of are clients own R910 servers... several of them each.

For example: one client has 3 R910 servers and a huge SAN... The reasoning: They are an ambulance service and there call center needs 100% uptime. They have the R910 servers setup in a active-active cluster so if one fails the others will pick up nearly instantly. These servers run all of there critical programs along with their website.

The r910 is an absolutely ridiculous piece of machinery though. Seeing 24 cores in taskmgr is very jaw dropping.
vmotion ftw ;P

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Luke2
View Post

vmotion ftw ;P

Well, VMotion is not really for that use-case, it's a load balancing mechanism. If the host server running that call center app's VM were to crash, there is no instananeous failover to another host; the VM has to reboot on another host. A small delay, but still a delay that some apps (such as an ambulance call center!) may not be able to accept.

Now VMWare Fault Tolerance absolutely does achieve that same instant failover as a cluster, at the cost of the resources for additional lockstepped VMs on multiple host servers. But even this may be worse than a cluster, since the lockstepped VM is essentially just a standby copy; it cannot produce/perform work of its own. Generally when I think "cluster", I think of all nodes being capable of producing their own work product, but also working together to share resources when needed and to absorb the workload of any failed nodes. Think of the difference between an Oracle Data Guard (standby database) vs. an Oracle RAC cluster.

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
We actually have them setup using hyper-v clustering. Now we do have the load split between 2 of the 3 servers but if anyone of those servers fails, there is enough resources for all the vm's to be hosted on a single server.

·
Pew Pew
1,102 Posts
Note to self be very careful at work when handling the servers... I install Power Edge R710's and 900's all the time. I knew they were expensive but damn.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts