Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Over the past couple of months we have had a few boards pass through the office from major manufacturers which have featured the Lucid Hydra chipset and all have failed to make it to the stage of having a review published. Why? Well it's not pretty and that's the point of this article...

Essentially, given our experience with boards featuring Lucid Hydra tech we feel that it has no place on consumer motherboards. It is a waste of resources, time and money but before we go into the details we should explain what Lucid Hydra is.
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/articl...?articleid=147

·
Registered
498 Posts
Interesting. I must say I haven't heard anything about Hydra since it was released practically and now I know why. Anyone with a Hydra board can attest to this?

·
Banned
3,749 Posts
I dumped it because it wouldn't let me run SLI. Also, it's really an unecessary technology. Sure, the concept is cool, but when it all boils down it's just plain silly. Also, Lucid Hydra absolutely kills your minimum FPS. Just look at the Lucid Hydra benchmarks in my sig and review the results.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The technology needs time to improve.

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
Basically, Hydra just completely failed to deliver on its promise of 100% scaling across GPUs, with no noticeable overhead. Because it hasn't delivered on that, there is no reason to buy it. On top of that, it is clear in the article's tests at least, that it is actually worse than standard SLI/CF.

·
Registered
593 Posts
guys, do you remember how bad SLI was when it first released?? Hydra just like other technologies need a bit of time to mature.

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1ForFrags View Post
I dumped it because it wouldn't let me run SLI. Also, it's really an unecessary technology. Sure, the concept is cool, but when it all boils down it's just plain silly. Also, Lucid Hydra absolutely kills your minimum FPS. Just look at the Lucid Hydra benchmarks in my sig and review the results.
I don't know about unnecessary.

The number of AM3 socket motherboards that support SLi outright sucks. And currently none of those in the wild have USB3 or new SATA. Maybe with Bulldozer Nvidia will release a new nForce revision and they simply skipped worrying about AMD800 level chips....but maybe not.

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by smash_mouth01 View Post
What would be the point of them worrying about the 800 series chipset?

They know that there largest market is INTEL and their chipsets. So why waste time on a company that doesn't want to pay to use SLI when they CrossfireX is an Open standard and costs them nothing to use.
I was not looking into the business side, I was speaking as a consumer. I'd much rather run Nvidias than ATi GPUs any day of the week.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Is there more to that article that I'm missing? 1 graph, and one game? If you're going to slam something like this, make it a 10 page article and show me why.

While what he says could be true, do some work and make a half decent article about it.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Interesting article, I would have assumed it would scale better. Oh well, the tech will come sooner or later.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skripka
View Post

I was not looking into the business side, I was speaking as a consumer. I'd much rather run Nvidias than ATi GPUs any day of the week.

Well then we can both hope that a new Nforce comes out soon. (improbable but not impossible)

Or you can get go Intel and have both, or there is this option Asus M4N98TD EVO.

Even though it doesn't have USB3 or SATA 6.0Gb/s.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Horsemama1956 View Post
Is there more to that article that I'm missing? 1 graph, and one game? If you're going to slam something like this, make it a 10 page article and show me why.

While what he says could be true, do some work and make a half decent article about it.
same. i thought this review/article was worthless. what cards were they using in those charts? what was their test system?

it sounded like someone was butthurt.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Horsemama1956 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by dracotonisamond View Post
same. i thought this review/article was worthless. what cards were they using in those charts? what was their test system?

it sounded like someone was butthurt.
Glad im not the only one who thought this was a half assed attempt to bash somthing. im sorry but its new tech and needs time to get better, look at quad SLi for example, some games the performance is wose with 4 cards and better with 3 but i don't see any bashing of that.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Yea, I would love to know what settings or what cards it took to get such terrible numbers. My stand alone 5770 OCed got better numbers than that @ 1080p with 4xAA. .

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Hmm. That site was loaded with AMD and ATI advertising. Looks like an AMD supported site all the way.

They are also forgetting the real world application of this tech by gamers. Nobody would pair a 5850 with a GTX 460 because if they already had a 5850, they would get another 5850 or sell the 5850 and get 2 GTX 460. What I see is someone pairing a 4850 with a GTX 470 or an 8800GT with a 5870. In these real scenarios, they'll see some benefit. Basically pairing old cards that have no value with new cards coming out today.

·
Registered
489 Posts
So let me get this straight.
1. You dont post your exact setups and most importantly the drivers used.
2. You dont compare Non-Hydra results with Hyrda results (in both SLI and Xfire cases).
3. You dont say which GPU's you're using. (Could be 8600 GTs for all we know)
4. You use 1 game, and a game notoriously poor at multi-GPU scaling at that.
5. The article is filled with random and fringe potshots at NVIDIA.
6. There are full page ATI AD's on the page.

Bias at its worst, someone sign this guy up as a writer for SA.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daegameth
View Post

Lol +rep for awesomeness.

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daegameth
View Post

So let me get this straight.
1. You dont post your exact setups and most importantly the drivers used.
2. You dont compare Non-Hydra results with Hyrda results (in both SLI and Xfire cases).
3. You dont say which GPU's you're using. (Could be 8600 GTs for all we know)
4. You use 1 game, and a game notoriously poor at multi-GPU scaling at that.
5. The article is filled with random and fringe potshots at NVIDIA.
6. There are full page ATI AD's on the page.

Agreed on every point. This article is a joke.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts