Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
ASUs fan
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just joined this forum, seemed the right thing to do.
First got into rig building in the 80’s had to give up and support the family!
Anyway built a rig a few years ago ASUs M8E, i7 6700k Oc 4.7ghz, gtx 980ti, 16gb GSkill 3400hzs,next kraken x62, super rig have had some great fun with it and still use it but decided last year to build a beast, so after careful research built this one in jan/feb this year,,,
ASUs Rampage Vi extreme
Intel i9 7980xe delided tgLm,24/7 oc 4.6ghz EKwb monoblock, D5 pump/res loop
Titan V full EKwb block D5 pump/res loop. Tglm on die.
GSkill quad Chanel rgb ddr4 64gb 3600hzs set at 15,15,15,35
Corsair ax 1200i psu.
Corsair obsidian 900 case
Samsung nvme m2 250gb
Samsung 970 nvme m2 500gb
Intel nvme Optane 280 gab
Seagate 2tb hdd.
In the process of rebuilding due to a faulty bios on th r6e so will be doing theshunt mod on the Titan, using silver pen so as to avoid degradation of the solder, this should help stabilise the Oc.
Also have a chiller to hook up, I’ve had this for a few months now just not got round to hooking it into system yet,
Hoping to boost my scores after th rebuild, time spy,fire strike, sky diver, cinibench and benchmark,,,,as ‘rob w’ and ‘camielleon’.
Titan v is a beast in itself, and it can go further I’m sure!
Anyways Hi to all.

·
2,457 Posts
Welcome!

That sounds like a nice build you have going there. You should share some pictures, I would love to see your build :)

Its also very cool that you are doing things with water loop chillers and running some benchmarks like firestrike. Have you considered doing any 2D benching with programs such as Cinebench R15, or Geekbench 3? If you find that you like running benchmark programs and you want to compare your times, you should join the OCN hwbot.org team (if you haven't already).

Cheers!

·
Robotic Chemist
3,010 Posts
My earliest overclock was a 486 DX2 from 50 to 66 MHz, but it wasn't very stable.

I don't think a silver pen will work for the shunt mod, it didn't for me on my Titan X (Pascal). :(

·
Banned
720 Posts
Back in the 80's I worked for a company that offered "upgrades" for the IBM XT. I had a full time job replacing ram and clock crystals in the good old IBMs. It made a huge performance difference. That was my first "overclocking" experience.

Welcome back Rob!

·
ASUs fan
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
A few results I’ve had ...
CinibenchR15
4395 multi core
207 single core
254.77 FPS
3Dmark
Time spy 13th
Fire strike 13th
Sky diver 6th
Unigine superposition
14470, 3rd just behind Jpmboy
Realbench score 282282
Registered with hwbot but not joined any team as such, yet, will check out ocn team.
Looking at the spec on the silver pen MG chemicals 842AR-P it rates it 0.001ohm per cm, so I’m thinking 3 or 4 runs over the shunt should be enough to reduce the power throttle and make things more stable. The chiller should sort any thermals,:)

·
Robotic Chemist
3,010 Posts
Looking at the spec on the silver pen MG chemicals 842AR-P it rates it 0.001ohm per cm, so I’m thinking 3 or 4 runs over the shunt should be enough to reduce the power throttle and make things more stable. The chiller should sort any thermals,:)
That is the one I used. I tried applying it twice, the second time I put on as much as I could with no effect. :(

If you do get it to work please let us know! :)

·
ASUs fan
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is the one I used. I tried applying it twice, the second time I put on as much as I could with no effect. :(

If you do get it to work please let us know! :)
Ok did the mod can’t upload photo of it for some reason, cleaned the shunts with isopropanol and completely covered thetops of four of them with the silver ink .(thickly)
All looked good, ran superposition, time spy, cinibench and realbench,
Result, I feel this is a fail and will be undoing the mod ( and think again ).
The tests I ran at oc, the card seemed more unstable at higher Oc, as previously I could get the card to core 2100 but now I struggle to get into the 2000mhz stable, temps are much higher also, 32deg in 3Dmark and 56deg in superposition, generally it seems worse to me, definitely runs hotter, so I’m not sure if its power throttling or temp throttling or both?
Not sure how to get pics posted here yet but will put some on when I figure it out.
Personal conclusion = doesn’t work.:)

·
Robotic Chemist
3,010 Posts
The way I tested it was monitoring the % power usage in Afterburner, I had exactly the same % power with the same settings and load before and after the mod. Also the power limit would still trigger under the same loads. I did not get or expect any change in OC, only bypassing the power limit, but there seemed to be no impact on the power system.

Maybe we need to sand the shunts or something to get good contact with the silver ink, I also simply cleaned with IPA and applied as much as I could. Liquid metal is pretty aggressive chemically so maybe it eats through some oxide barrier or something. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts