Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, looking to find a good PC-centric community, google has brought me here plenty of times, for my questions and such, so I figure why not join.

My current PC is an AMD A8-3870k based machine, I originally planned to add in a 6670 for Hybrid Crossfire, but I found a 6950 on eBay for $125 so I'm now running that, unlocked shaders and overclocked. Eight gigs of RAM at 1866, Hyper 212 Plus CPU cooler, my APU is OC'd to about 3.4GHZ. Looking to get another 69xx card for Crossfire, but I'm sure my APU will be bottlenecking the cards.

Also I'm into music, I play drums and guitar (and I guess bass by default), been a Nintendo fan for probably fifteen years now, and I enjoy learning anything I can.
 

·
r/madlads
Joined
·
8,705 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can push the APU way further than that with the Hyper 212+

But anyway
biggrin.gif
I'm also into music and thrash metal and metalcore is my 2 highest ranked loved genres
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only added the cooler a few weeks ago, haven't pushed it much. Ran it at 34 x 100 and got a blue screen, so I'm now at 31 x 110 at stock voltages. Any tips? My only OC'ing experience is with this APU, mostly on the stock cooler so I didn't do much.
 

·
Leader of the #1 [email protected] Team
Joined
·
5,006 Posts
You might have to lower something on the CPU or RAM, or up the Vcore some. Not a big fan of APU's, the Buit in GPU i have been told doesn't make OCing as easy as a PII or FX.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,207 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I was originally aiming at a budget gaming system, but now I just want more power. Sort of biased towards AMD, I like underdogs, and my case is the Thermaltake V3 AMD edition, so I'm limiting my CPU upgrade to AMD. Been looking at the FX-6300, which obviously entails buying a new motherboard as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,207 Posts
Its a small letter L. Btw enjoy your stay
biggrin.gif
 

·
Leader of the #1 [email protected] Team
Joined
·
5,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanlan View Post

Yeah, I was originally aiming at a budget gaming system, but now I just want more power. Sort of biased towards AMD, I like underdogs, and my case is the Thermaltake V3 AMD edition, so I'm limiting my CPU upgrade to AMD. Been looking at the FX-6300, which obviously entails buying a new motherboard as well.
If you gonna go AMD, get a FX-6300 and OC to 4.5Ghz+ I would say get a FX-8350, but their only 4 cores with 8 Threads, so a 6300 vs a 6 "core" 8350, the 6300 would win.

Here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113286

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514

$280 Total not including S/H and your on the Edge of PC Performance again
smile.gif
Pair that with a HD 7970 OC/ 6950 CF and your set
thumb.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpSkyline View Post

If you gonna go AMD, get a FX-6300 and OC to 4.5Ghz+ I would say get a FX-8350, but their only 4 cores with 8 Threads, so a 6300 vs a 6 "core" 8350, the 6300 would win.

Here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113286

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514

$280 Total not including S/H and your on the Edge of PC Performance again
smile.gif
Pair that with a HD 7970 OC/ 6950 CF and your set
thumb.gif
I'm kinda set on the 69xx Crossfire, I got the 6950 for only $125, so unless I can sell it for a nice profit, adding another would be the most cost-effective solution for me I think.
 

·
r/madlads
Joined
·
8,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpSkyline View Post

If you gonna go AMD, get a FX-6300 and OC to 4.5Ghz+ I would say get a FX-8350, but their only 4 cores with 8 Threads, so a 6300 vs a 6 "core" 8350, the 6300 would win.

Are you kidding me? By your logic the 6300 would be a 3-core with HT
It just isn't.
 

·
Leader of the #1 [email protected] Team
Joined
·
5,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLT View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpSkyline View Post

If you gonna go AMD, get a FX-6300 and OC to 4.5Ghz+ I would say get a FX-8350, but their only 4 cores with 8 Threads, so a 6300 vs a 6 "core" 8350, the 6300 would win.

Are you kidding me? By your logic the 6300 would be a 3-core with HT
It just isn't.
Face-Palm.... The 8350 is a 4 core 8 thread CPU, the 6300 however is a 6 core 6 thread CPU. Look it up sir
wink.gif
 

·
r/madlads
Joined
·
8,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpSkyline View Post

Face-Palm.... The 8350 is a 4 core 8 thread CPU, the 6300 however is a 6 core 6 thread CPU. Look it up sir
wink.gif
Look up, where?
You've got to be kidding me son. 8350 is a 4 module 8 thread CPU not a damn 4 core CPU and the 6300 a 3 module with 1 module laser'd off
That kind of logic of yours makes me feel like i'm on a Intel thread with the 8350 coming from intel and 6300 from AMD

And if you say the 6300 will win, really? A 1 module disabled 8350 is FAR ahead of the 6300
 

·
Leader of the #1 [email protected] Team
Joined
·
5,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLT View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpSkyline View Post

Face-Palm.... The 8350 is a 4 core 8 thread CPU, the 6300 however is a 6 core 6 thread CPU. Look it up sir
wink.gif
Look up, where?
You've got to be kidding me son. 8350 is a 4 module 8 thread CPU not a damn 4 core CPU and the 6300 a 3 module with 1 module laser'd off
That kind of logic of yours makes me feel like i'm on a Intel thread with the 8350 coming from intel and 6300 from AMD

And if you say the 6300 will win, really? A 1 module disabled 8350 is FAR ahead of the 6300
Oh God... 6300 and 8350 is the same PD Architecture. A 6300 has 6 REAL cores. A 8350 is a 4 core or Module CPU that shoves 2 Threads down each Module or core which equals 8 "cores" displaying on your Task Manger.

Intel uses HT to Double cores, AMD uses Modules to do a less effective but similar job. I speak the truth. Or my Sources are ******ed.
 

·
r/madlads
Joined
·
8,705 Posts
YOUR sources are utterly ******ed.
PD architecture is module based none of the real core thing
If really a 4 core 8 thread AMD thing you claim AMD is doing then the 8350 will be very near a 6300 or probably even lose to it
because fact of a matter is, Intel HT doesn't work as well as we think it does and it only yields a little bit of extra speed like what feels like merely a extra core, something on the other of a 5th core
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by d6bmg View Post

Your 3870K is good enough not to bottleneck your graphics card. (i.e. HD6950).
It's doing fine for one card, but I plan to add a second. That's where I feel the bottlenecking will occur.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top