Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Athlon 64 2800+ on a DFI LanParty UT NF3 250 Gb. My CPU temp reads about 38C non-overclocked under minimal load, and up to 49C under high load. From what I understand, that's pretty high. However, I actually undid the case and felt along the CPU heatsink and felt no excessive heat. It didn't even feel hot when I felt along the back side of the Mobo PCB and it felt room temp. The only thing that felt a little warm was the NF3 Chipset (which has only a small heatsink and no fan) and the power supply feels a little warm. My case has a fan on the side, and one on the top, one sucking and one blowing. It also has a 92mm fan sucking from the back. The CPU heatsink is stock, but 64 stock 64 heatsinks are supposed to be sufficient from what I understand, and it feels like it's no more than 28C anyway. Is anyone else having this same problem on the LanParty UT? I'm getting a new heatsink with fan for the chipset and I'm upgrading the rear fan to a 120 mm. Anyway, could this just be that the comp reading the wrong temp? The temp display on my front panel shows 71F which is about 21.6C. So what's the deal?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by blob

49C is ok... But the Stock heatsinks... arent that great

Did you use Arctic Silver 5?

Ooops, I posted this in the wrong forum. Mods, can you move this please? Anyway, I'm not sure what the Arctic Silver 5 is. Is that a heatsink/fan combo, or is it a program?

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
arctic silver is the best thermalpaste you can get. u did use some kind of thermal paste on your cpu, right?

·
Registered
39 Posts
hey dude have u made sure ur heat sink is attached all the way!?!?!??! this happened to me when i switched cases, my heat sink wasnt making good contact with processor and couldnt draw enough heat away so try that

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Hi, I moved ya

49c Isnt bad, but it is aproaching the border line. A little AC5 and a good heat sink should fix you up.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by U R Slain

hey dude have u made sure ur heat sink is attached all the way!?!?!??! this happened to me when i switched cases, my heat sink wasnt making good contact with processor and couldnt draw enough heat away so try that

If your using a stock CPU fan they really suck. Invest in something good and youll see a significant drop in temps. I had similar temps with my 2800+ on idle but load does seem a bit high.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
I just thought I would add some heatsink suggestions if you're planning to upgrade.

Themalright XP120/High CFM 120mm Fan
Thermaltake Tower 112 (aka Copper block
)

Thermalright XP90/High CFM 90/92mm fan

Thermaltake Venus 12

I listed all of them from most performance to the lowest (IMO). I know some people would argue the Tower 112 is better than the XP120... But oh well, they're pretty close, it's all preference. And the last one, venus 12 is the cheapest out of all of them ( around 30 dollars) it's not as good but if you're on a budget is about the best you can get.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

I just thought I would add some heatsink suggestions if you're planning to upgrade.

Themalright XP120/High CFM 120mm Fan
Thermaltake Tower 112 (aka Copper block
)

Thermalright XP90/High CFM 90/92mm fan

Thermaltake Venus 12

I listed all of them from most performance to the lowest (IMO). I know some people would argue the Tower 112 is better than the XP120... But oh well, they're pretty close, it's all preference. And the last one, venus 12 is the cheapest out of all of them ( around 30 dollars) it's not as good but if you're on a budget is about the best you can get.

You have about the same system as I do. I see you're using liquid cooling. I'll probably use that when I rebuild my own computer, but not for my fiancee's. I just bought the Venus 12 at newegg.com, and I bought the Arctic Silver 5 compound as well. Hopefully, when this is all said and done, I'll have a relatively cool machine. With the 120mm fan blowing out the back, the new chipset heatsink w/fan, and the Venus 12 with the AC5, I should have a very cool machine. Then I can overclock with confidence.

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tractrpl

I have an Athlon 64 2800+ on a DFI LanParty UT NF3 250 Gb. My CPU temp reads about 38C non-overclocked under minimal load, and up to 49C under high load. From what I understand, that's pretty high. However, I actually undid the case and felt along the CPU heatsink and felt no excessive heat. It didn't even feel hot when I felt along the back side of the Mobo PCB and it felt room temp. The only thing that felt a little warm was the NF3 Chipset (which has only a small heatsink and no fan) and the power supply feels a little warm. My case has a fan on the side, and one on the top, one sucking and one blowing. It also has a 92mm fan sucking from the back. The CPU heatsink is stock, but 64 stock 64 heatsinks are supposed to be sufficient from what I understand, and it feels like it's no more than 28C anyway. Is anyone else having this same problem on the LanParty UT? I'm getting a new heatsink with fan for the chipset and I'm upgrading the rear fan to a 120 mm. Anyway, could this just be that the comp reading the wrong temp? The temp display on my front panel shows 71F which is about 21.6C. So what's the deal?

the fact that ur heatsink was not warm says to my either too much,too little,too c**p or no thermal paste

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, I got some AC5, and a Venus 12 CPU cooler for my system. It runs at about 34-37C at idle and I've never really seen it go above 47C under full load while overclocked at 2107 MHz. I have the fan set on automatic mode. It's max RPM is 5500, but I've never seen it go above 2800RPM even at 47C. Apparently, to keep things more quite, it won't go at full speed until it hits 55C, which it never has. I guess this is acceptable, though. I shouldn't be trying to keep it below 40C, it should be ok even at 47C.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts