Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Asus Xonar Phoebus card and a Modmic 4.0.

It works perfectly but when I start playing games the microphone gets lots of interference. I have read that it is from the graphics card, so I tried using my internal audio and it worked better. But now the microphone sounds EXTREMELY bad. But there is at least no interference, just lots and lots of background noise. But it is always the same.
I have positioned the cards as far away from each other as possible, and my sound card even has a shield but I still get lots of noise.

Is there some PCI-E dummy card I put in between to separate them or something? Is there any way to stop this?

EDIT:
This only affects the microphone, the rest of my sound is perfect.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costcosaurus View Post

Have you tried altering the recording settings for the mic?

Reduce the microphone boost and see if that helps.
I just realized the thread title is "Hi" (facepalm)

And microphone boost is turned off and I have tried altering it. I am nearly 100% sure it is a noise issue. As I said, when I play games I get more interference.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Try testing the microphone in Steam voice chat settings and see if you get the same result.

If it's the same, I would consider contacting AntLion and see if they can send you a replacement.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costcosaurus View Post

Try testing the microphone in Steam voice chat settings and see if you get the same result.

If it's the same, I would consider contacting AntLion and see if they can send you a replacement.
I tried it in steam voice. The same thing. But it works perfectly on my laptop with an even worse sound card...

·
Windows 10 is good
4,310 Posts
Hi!
wink.gif
(sorry, I had to because of the thread title!)

Is the noise you're hearing mixed in a humming or hissing type sound, or is it just static type interference? If it's a hum/hiss, using a ground loop isolator from amazon between the microphone and your sound card's input may very well fix it. I've been using this one for my speaker output, personally: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EAQTRI/. Not too bad on price either
smile.gif
. While I'm not completely sure it'll fix your issue, I would give it very high odds of doing so.

·
Registered
607 Posts
hi... sorry couldn't resist:

ok so that card seems to require power 6pin PCI-E how are you powering it using the molex to PCI-E adapter included or using a PCI-E connector from your power supply?

if it was me I'd try switching however i have been powering it (if possible) (using the adapters if not previously or pci-e from power supply instead of the adapter if possible). Additionally I'd take a look at cable routing and try to get any and all cables as far away from the graphics card as possible. you could try putting ferrite chokes on the power cable to the audio cable as well i guess.

I realize you say you have the audio card as far away as possible but have you experimented with having it in a different slot, if the one that it is in now is having issues... can you try a different mic also?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by atarione View Post

hi... sorry couldn't resist:

ok so that card seems to require power 6pin PCI-E how are you powering it using the molex to PCI-E adapter included or using a PCI-E connector from your power supply?

if it was me I'd try switching however i have been powering it (if possible) (using the adapters if not previously or pci-e from power supply instead of the adapter if possible). Additionally I'd take a look at cable routing and try to get any and all cables as far away from the graphics card as possible. you could try putting ferrite chokes on the power cable to the audio cable as well i guess.

I realize you say you have the audio card as far away as possible but have you experimented with having it in a different slot, if the one that it is in now is having issues... can you try a different mic also?
I have tried all PCI-E slots, but I'll try using the molex converter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts