Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Completed

This project could also be called, friends don't let friends buy Macs. This build is for my brother and sister-in-law. She basically wanted a iMac because of its simplicity and how there was not extra tower or case anywhere. After talking with her about it I figured, I can make this with a little time and effort.

Basic idea is to mount this CASE to this MONITOR using this MOUNT.

Here are the Components.

CPU - i5 750
Mobo - MSI P55M-GD45
Mem - Corsair XMS3 4GB
GPU - MSI R5570-MD1G Radeon HD 5570 1GB
HDD - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
DVDRW - LITEON
FAN - Enermax UC-8EB (stock case fan is weak and loud)

Case comes with a 450w PSU which I do not care for but I don't know where else to find a 5"x4"x2.5" PSU that would fit in there.

Will be sleeving the psu, installing a window and a LED strip to add a little back glow to the monitor.

Agenda / Checklist

1.) Take out PSU for cable organization (2) (3)
2.) Disassemble case for paint / paint
3.) Cut panel for window install
4.) Create bracket for mount reinforcement (2)
5.) Install bracket and mount to back wall of case.
6.) Re assemble case.
7.) Sleeve psu (MDPC =))
8.) Install Components.
9.) Attach Case to Monitor
10.) Yey done (Completed Pics)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Case unboxing

The Cables coming out of the PSU must have been done by a blind man. I opened the chassis and organized them some and then temp taped them till my sleeving comes in.

More to come when later.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Little update from last night, made cuts for the window. Need to get a file today for the edges but came out pretty good.

Prepped with painters tape.

I started every side with the dremel and finished with the jig.

I drilled out all the rivets in the case and it is totally apart. When I get home today I will prep it for primer and and start with the paint. Also cut the cross braces to size to help displace the weight of the case across the case instead of the 4 anchor points. When I put it back together will use black rivets so nothing stands out too much. Whole point of this mod is to not see the case unless you want to
!

·
Registered
430 Posts

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,228 Posts
Subbed. This looks like it is going to be interesting.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunkler
View Post

I gotta be honest. I have always wanted to do something like this. Be my Yoda

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Xeb
View Post

Subbed. This looks like it is going to be interesting.

Thanks guys, hope I can perform up to your expectations. Should be getting the funds later on today to actually buy the components. Will hopefully order them tomorrow and have them by next Wednesday. Case should be back in one piece by then. Also just ordered a 1ft HDMI and 1ft USB male A to male B (webcam). Should be a perfect fit from back of case to the monitor for a minimal amount of exposed cables. About to order the LED strip and window uchannel. Need to order the plexi as well but i keep forgetting to measure for it(on todays to do list.) Place I order from will cut down your plexi for free, they just keep the scraps So there is one less head ache.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,228 Posts
I have pretty high expectations but this is just going to be an interesting build and I think you can do it. Take your time and do it right.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most of this update took place last week but I was out of town till last night.
Took it all apart and got it set for paint. Drilled out a few rivets and took out a few screws. Basically if it is natural metal, it shall be black.

These are the mounting bars I am adding to help with weigh distribution once I put the mount on the case. They will act like a spine running up and down.

Now for paint. Strung up all the parts that will be painted. A raised garage door makes for a good rack. Put on 1 coat of primer and 3 coats of black paint then let it sit in the oven that FL makes the garage become for about 48 hours. Turned out pretty good. Mostly painted it because the back portion where the i/o shield will be as well as the card slots would have been an eye sore. The rest of the unpainted parts would barely be seen.

At this point I am playing the waiting game. Waiting on basically everything to come in. Also waiting on the bank to pass a check to order the components with. I will start putting the case back together when I get the black rivets in. I am hoping everything for the case will be in by Wednesday and the components by Thursday.

·
Registered
430 Posts
This is gonna be a nice build. Are you going to run the DVI cord through a hole between the mounting brackets? How will you power both of PC and LCD at the same time without 2 power cords? Also How do you plan on keeping the plug end of the dvi cord inside the case for a cleaner "Mac" look?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

View Post

This is gonna be a nice build. Are you going to run the DVI cord through a hole between the mounting brackets? How will you power both of PC and LCD at the same time without 2 power cords? Also How do you plan on keeping the plug end of the dvi cord inside the case for a cleaner "Mac" look?

Well because they are separate entities, I don't have a means of connecting them seamlessly. I ordered two 1ft cables (DVI and USB) so there will be very little if any slack. I may try to sleeve those together if i can as well so they seem as one. I also have PC power cable that has two ends on it which I may try to use as well. Otherwise, I will more than likely bind the two together somehow so it is not messy/cluttered.

**UPDATE** Rivets should be at my door so should be able to put the case back together as well as put the mount on. Rest of the parts look to be coming in on Wednesday/Thursday.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by omaryunus
View Post

awesome stuff dude... i would definitely rename this project to:

[Project] Hide and Sleek

Hehe, thanks man. I like that. May have to change it
. Ill wait to see if it all comes together nicely before I get a cocky name for it lol.

·
Registered
430 Posts
This is your build and you are gonna do it the way you see best. If I can provide any helpful input would you mind? I dont know all the details for how this could work, but I made some crude drawings of how I see it going in my mind. I have posted them below for your viewing pleasure... or displeasure

The way I figure it, the LCD is much larger than your case. So it will have to be bracketed above center if you want the case to stand upright. Also, as you can see by my crude drawings you could sleeve the dvi and power cord together and run them through the bracket into a hole behind the LCD in the side of the case. Also, once you got the cords into the case maybe you could splice the power cord from the monitor into the psu somehow? I dont know if thats an accident looking for a place to happen or what, but surely it could work? I am still trying to figure out how you could keep the DVI cable inside the case and still have it display. Are dvi cables fiber optic or regular metal pin s that can be soldered? Anyway... if this is way off, just ignore me. I am excited for this build though.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,228 Posts
You are going to want to make sure you can strengthen that side panel as much as you can because that is a LOT of weight you will have on there.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Big Update, Lots of pics.

yey presents.

Rivets and Short USB

First, centered and drilled holes for bracket.

Next, I placed the support struts in and used rivets to connect everything.

On the back side I used washers with small diameter holes so the rivets would anchor.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
With the bracket and braces installed I fastened the Mobo tray back into the case.

I was really happy with the paint, also LOVE the black rivets. You hardly even realize they are there and blend in so well.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

View Post

This is your build and you are gonna do it the way you see best. If I can provide any helpful input would you mind? I dont know all the details for how this could work, but I made some crude drawings of how I see it going in my mind. I have posted them below for your viewing pleasure... or displeasure

The way I figure it, the LCD is much larger than your case. So it will have to be bracketed above center if you want the case to stand upright. Also, as you can see by my crude drawings you could sleeve the dvi and power cord together and run them through the bracket into a hole behind the LCD in the side of the case. Also, once you got the cords into the case maybe you could splice the power cord from the monitor into the psu somehow? I dont know if thats an accident looking for a place to happen or what, but surely it could work? I am still trying to figure out how you could keep the DVI cable inside the case and still have it display. Are dvi cables fiber optic or regular metal pin s that can be soldered? Anyway... if this is way off, just ignore me. I am excited for this build though.

There is virtually no room to run cables between the mobo tray and back panel in that case. The struts pretty much fit flush. The bracket it is on is adjustable as well as 2 pieces so I can be removed and placed either up right or parallel to the monitor. With out some how dissecting the video cards, Not sure of how else to keep the cable internal but it will run between the case and monitor so will not be an eyesore. I was thinking very much on the same page as you though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Xeb
View Post

You are going to want to make sure you can strengthen that side panel as much as you can because that is a LOT of weight you will have on there.

Those aluminum braces I put in there made that back piece go from flimsy to rigid. Since they are running up and down they are going to support where the weight is going to be pulling and also spreading it out. Once the case was re assembled it felt pretty solid. I guess we will see.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.