Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyway to "hide" your windows password, like if someone uses a password finding software the password will be blocked or blank? Thnx

·
Registered
824 Posts
Hide it where? From what?

Windows hashes the hell out of passwords. Of course, you should:
- Use strong passwords
- Change them frequently

You trying to protect against a "repair" hack or something? If someone has local access to your system, barring encryption of crap you care about, you are pretty much screwed if they really want to get to the data.

Edit:
If you are talking about "saving your password" in applications or site access.. all bets are off if someone has local access.

If you wear a tinfoil hat, also make sure you dump your page file in shutdown or reboot (get ready for some long shutdowns and reboots...)

·
Banned
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i mean like hide your password as in hiding it from password finding programs. for example, my friend has an IBM laptop and password finding software can't display his password. So, is that integrated security of is there a software to downlaod?

·
Registered
824 Posts
If you can log in to Windows to run a password finding tool...

You can just mount the damn thing as a slave and go to town anyway.

This a laptop?

Edit:
And yes, IBM does use some firmware.. but that also has its own problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I believe he is talking about keyloggers. Malicious programs that run as a hidden task and record all key presses. Although their main use isn't for passwords, but for credit card numbers.
saints, the only thing i've come across that lets you do what you want is built into my anti-virus software, Pc-cillin Internet Security 12, although I would assume other popular brands would do something similar. I enter my private information into that and it does something to protect it. Haven't bothered using it before. Don't think it works with windows passwords, you will just need a good firewall and antispyware software installed to stop keyloggers.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Well sure. But you need local access.
And once you have that, passwords on *any* OS don't matter. Unless you encrypted your data.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by satansmurf

Well sure. But you need local access.

No....Not at all - there's about 4 ways to skin that cat - but thats all I've got to say about that.
Local access at the same level as the user you attack wont do you any good - you need to be tiered above or an Admin - but thats just too easy.

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
He must be talking about password crackers like ERD commander, but you do need local access to pop in the cd.

... I think its safe to say that if you are being confronted with this problem you might do just as well to get a locked cabinet to put your computer in but then there is no defense against the good ole crowbar...

...I think its safe to say youre pretty much screwed... lol... j/k

1 - 10 of 10 Posts