Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
PC Evangelist
46,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this laptop which uses A12-9800 and for some reason the CPU usage is very high. This is not just 1 or 2 rouge apps. Everything is using the CPU and system is very slow and unresponsive. It has 16GB DDR4-2133 and 256GB SSD. Have similar laptop what my brother uses and runs fine. I did a Windows 10 reset but still same problem.

·
Registered
224 Posts
check task manager, and look what process use cpu or disk, surely something in the background taking all your cpu / disk usage

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
A better app might be Process Explorer or Process Monitor from Sysinternals...

·
PC Evangelist
46,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
check task manager, and look what process use cpu or disk, surely something in the background taking all your cpu / disk usage
It is always something different. Usage is always high. 40%+ at idle and even the smallest load goes to 80-100% and just gets slow.

·
Registered
224 Posts
ok so you need to check what is the process which use all your ressources, or maybe check your driver chipset, sata ... are you sure your cpu run at normal clock?

·
High Clocker
3,439 Posts
A virus that keeps changing its process name maybe?

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I'd harvest any data you need and clean install as I'd never figure out the actual problem.
You have an SSD and if you use a fast flash drive you can be up and running in under an hour.
Let it update 100% then use O&O shut up to kill Windows services you don't want such as the one that downloads bloatware when you uninstall it. After that you can remove the factory bloat with CLeaner and it won't come back until you enable that "feature".

·
Registered
224 Posts
A virus that keeps changing its process name maybe?

right. a virus can do it too, 2 month before, i had a bitcoinminer on my computer which was using my gpu ressources to mine! incredible ! after a malwarebytes scan all was clean

·
RGB Rainbow Vomit!
990 Posts
As this is on an APU, there could be a process running which is trying to utilise your GPU causing the CPU to show as under load in task manager. Install AMD Overdrive and monitor all of your APU cores/threads and see if any are being utilised.
My daughters PC uses a similar APU and would max the CPU at 100% when running Minecraft (Windows 10 Edition on an SSD with 8Gb RAM). This was rectified by installing a discrete GPU.

Do you have an external monitor connected?
Is the power profile set to max performance?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Or the CPU could just be idling at a low speed, which would cause a higher relative CPU usage. If its idling at 800MHz @ 40% usage, thats more like 8.4% usage at full speed, which isnt terrible.

or maybe it's scanning for windows updates since you said you just reinstalled.

·
PC Evangelist
46,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Or the CPU could just be idling at a low speed, which would cause a higher relative CPU usage. If its idling at 800MHz @ 40% usage, thats more like 8.4% usage at full speed, which isnt terrible.

or maybe it's scanning for windows updates since you said you just reinstalled.
Most of the times its 1.8Ghz and have seen it 2.8Ghz+. This almost seems like a hardware problem. Could be Power Management Unit.

·
Registered
224 Posts
try disable all energie saver in bios like c-state, p-state, coolnquiet ... and check if you have same problem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts