Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this is the incorrect place to post this.

I'm going to be doing a bit of kamikaze runs this Wednesday and I was wondering if putting a very high VRM frequency and a extremely high CPU voltage if it could possibly damage my mobo at all.

I've still yet to RMA this board for a new B3 model so I thought I'd have some fun with it before I get a new one.

As always, thank you in advanced.

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
no not really. 500khz isn't a high vrm frequency.

Do you even know what switching frequency is? maybe i can explain for you, its how many times a second each phase is turned on, each of your phases will be turned on for 500,000 times a second, each time they are on they will each output a certain current at a certain voltage, then a inductors will store the energy/power in an electromagnetic field, then the capcitors will sotre teh energy and then discharge when all teh capcitors are filled to teh same amount. You are increasing teh amount of energy per second or really how fast voltage changes to your CPU. increasing swtiching frequency will decrease ripple, but it will increase heat, a lot. Just use a fan and you will be fine.

Bottom line is that you will put a LOT of strain on your VRM pushing it to like 1.7v and 500khz, it will hurt your CPU, your components on your mobo wil llikley survive.

Sorry spelling.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the informative reply. I'm hoping that the most I do to my cpu is degrade it horribly and not kill it.

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
yea, stay under 1.63-1.65v you should be ok. I wouldn't recommend it on air though, the CPu will just throttle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts