Corsair H110i GT
Asus Maximus VIII Gene Intel Z170
GSKILL Trident Z 32GB (2X16GB) 3200Mhz DDR4 CL15
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2
Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 7200 RPM HDD
Seasonic 620W Modular PSU
Aerocool Xpredator Cube Black Edition Case
GPU: TBD

Hi, I'm a semi-pro videographer and gamer. Wanted to build a rock solid RIG for ages but never had cash or time for it until now. So I'll be posting my progress right here.

Purpose of the Build
I work for a video agency and my job is to shoot and edit videos for several YouTube channels about various topics. I also do gaming in my leftover time (mainly Dota 2 and Rust). I used to work on a gaming laptop but its CPU was throttling in Premiere so it was inefficient for my job, GPU also got dangerously hot while gaming (90C). The purpose of this RIG is to do video editing in Adobe Suite (Premiere Pro, After Effects, Audition) without any compromise so I sold my laptop, added some cash over and started buying parts.

Why small form factor?
I live in a small flat and my workspace is not the greatest. Also I'm fond of small and yet powerful techy stuff. So instead of going mighty full tower, I decided to buy a cube case and m-ATX board for it. Aerocool Xpredator's flat motherboard orientation looks great. It has ample cooling, provides enough space for long and fat high end GPUs, supports 1x 280mm radiator and 1x140mm raditor. So I can't go wrong with it.

If you want to do video editing, don't you think the LGA2011 and 6 core CPUs would be a better option?
Yes and No..My college in the company owns a killer 5830k, gtx 970 rig with custom water cooling loop. I used his PC and noticed it also struggles to play or responds late to my commands while working on a video with lots of effects applied. We use various video plug-ins for Adobe Premiere and they are sometimes demanding, especially when applied all together. It requires high IPC and does not rely on multitasking. Multitasking is only useful in parallel workloads such as encoding/decoding/rendering processes and the difference between Skylake and Haswell-E in that department is negligable. Since I want the absolute snappines, responsiveness while I'm working in Premiere, I decided to go Skylake and overclock the hell out of it for maximum IPC.

Why haven't you bought any GPUs?
Well my budget didn't allow me so I'll use Intel integrated graphics for a while. Planning to switch to dedicated GPU next month, I'll update this thread when I do. GTX 970 seems to be it (again, budget reasons).Nvidia CUDA plays nicely with Adobe software and I always used nvidia for my job. Sure, Adobe claims to support AMD hardware via OpenCL but I haven't tested it and I don't want any suprises.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just arrived:

Have concerns about clearance. In pictures of case I can see 2x 140mm fan holes on top and dimensions look to be OK but this radiator is huge and anything can happen.

Another thing: On web page it's written in product description that H110i GT supports 1151p socket but in user manual it doesn't mention 1151. I guess that's because 1151 came out after h110i gt, right?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts