Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sitting here browsing the web and notice my GPUs start getting very loud, which is odd considering I'm idling at the desktop... I check MSi Afterburner and sure enough, the GPUs are at high temperatures and usage keeps spiking up. This just started today and I haven't a clue why. Haven't really downloaded anything new lately. Specs are in the sig rig.

Any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,280 Posts
"Close ALL superfluous apps, i.e. everything that you know might be consuming RAM and/or CPU. There is NO WAY that something utilizing 90% of your GPU will not also be using SIGNIFICANT amounts of system RAM and CPU cycles. Scroll through the processes in Task Manager as I detailed in my previous post, and find the process that is utilizing anything >1% of CPU (a truly idle system should have near 0% CPU utilization).

After using Process Explorer I found an svchost.exe that seemed to be using up quite a bit of my GPU. I killed it and now the usage is at 0% with spikes anywhere from 14-60% every few seconds or so. CPU/RAM usage are the same."

this just about sums it up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulwrath View Post

"Close ALL superfluous apps, i.e. everything that you know might be consuming RAM and/or CPU. There is NO WAY that something utilizing 90% of your GPU will not also be using SIGNIFICANT amounts of system RAM and CPU cycles. Scroll through the processes in Task Manager as I detailed in my previous post, and find the process that is utilizing anything >1% of CPU (a truly idle system should have near 0% CPU utilization).

After using Process Explorer I found an svchost.exe that seemed to be using up quite a bit of my GPU. I killed it and now the usage is at 0% with spikes anywhere from 14-60% every few seconds or so. CPU/RAM usage are the same."

this just about sums it up
The only processes using significant amounts of RAM/CPU are chrome and MSi Afterburner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
Have you updated drivers or anything?

Did a little digging and found this:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33987765

What is your monitor polling set to? IF it's set too low, set it to around 1000 or 2000ms.

If this helped please give some rep! Trying to get into the marketplace.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just checked startup programs, Windows processes, recently installed programs, etc... I see nothing fishy whatsoever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masters View Post

Have you updated drivers or anything?

Did a little digging and found this:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33987765

What is your monitor polling set to? IF it's set too low, set it to around 1000 or 2000ms.

If this helped please give some rep! Trying to get into the marketplace.
Well, GPU usage is no longer spiking up, but fan speed is stuck at 50% for whatever reason.

Also, my polling rate was 200 ms. So this may have been my problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masters View Post

Is the GPU/TEMP spiking for long periods of time or just for a second or two? Also how frequently?
Well, now my GPU is spiking up to 50% usage repeatedly and fan speed is locked at 84%.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
When it spikes, if you look at the task manager, is any app spiking in usage at the same time?

Two things I can think of are:

1) Drivers are corrupt, try completely uinstalling all drivers/software and reinstalling.

2) Could be a virus. Try running a scan. New spyware turns computers into bitminers and transfers the bitcoins to the virus author.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masters View Post

When it spikes, if you look at the task manager, is any app spiking in usage at the same time?

Two things I can think of are:

1) Drivers are corrupt, try completely uinstalling all drivers/software and reinstalling.

2) Could be a virus. Try running a scan. New spyware turns computers into bitminers and transfers the bitcoins to the virus author.
Full scan yielded no threats. Now GPU usage is keeping nearly constantly at 100%.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masters View Post

Any programs also maxing out CPU usage at the same time?
None. The only programs that are even utilizing the CPU are Chrome and Skype.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
Try downloading process explorer:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Click View > Select Columns > GPU and check the boxes next to whatever you'd like to watch: GPU Usage, GPU Private Data, GPU Committed Bytes, or GPU Shared Bytes. Sort processes by GPU usage.

This should tell you what exactly is using the GPU.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masters View Post

Try downloading process explorer:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Click View > Select Columns > GPU and check the boxes next to whatever you'd like to watch: GPU Usage, GPU Private Data, GPU Committed Bytes, or GPU Shared Bytes. Sort processes by GPU usage.

This should tell you what exactly is using the GPU.
Well, GPU usage is currently at low levels and nothing is using it. However, just a few minutes ago it was staying at 80-100%. I'll keep a wary eye on it and reinstall drivers in the meantime.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is strange. The program you had me download is not spiking in GPU usage nor is it showing any unfamiliar programs utilizing the GPU. However, in MSi Afterburner, GPU usage is spiking and fans are ramping up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
So process explorer doesn't show anything, but afterburner does?

Are your fans actually ramping up or does it just say they are in afterburner?

One thing I can think of it maybe try the card in a different computer. Would tell us if it's the card, or something on your computer.

Also forgot to ask what kind of card?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masters View Post

So process explorer doesn't show anything, but afterburner does?

Are your fans actually ramping up or does it just say they are in afterburner?

One thing I can think of it maybe try the card in a different computer. Would tell us if it's the card, or something on your computer.

Also forgot to ask what kind of card?
Fans and usage rev up, and computer gets loud. I might try that; I have a 5670 in my room. I have CF 7950/7970.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top