Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,934 Posts
Yeah this is normal and safe. Heat rises.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah thanks. Found if I manually ramp my top GPU fan speed up to 50% I can get temps to match at around 28-30C.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbach View Post

Hi
After installing a 2nd GPU (GTX 1080) I'm noticing rather high idle temps (fluctuates from 39 to 45C) on my first GPU (Titan XP).

Should I be concerned at all?

On average my 2nd GPU runs 10C cooler both when idle and under full load.

Some pics of my setup
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...9jOTFKSmRVWWZR
Put a fan in the back side of pci slot covers : YT video

·
Premium Member
27,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

Yeah this is normal and safe. Heat rises.
HEAT DOES NOT RISE!
HEAT RADIATES!
With no other variables involved warm air will rise above cool air .. simply because as air warm it expands and becomes less dense.
Key words are 'no other variables involved' .. like a fan even running a very low speed is way more powerful than warm lighter air.

The reason the GPU above another in a tower cooler runs warmer is the same reason it will run just as warm if case is on it's side ..
BECASUE ONE GPU HAS OPEN SPACE FOR IT'S FANS TO DRAW AIR FROM WHILE ONE HAS OTHER GPU BLOCKING IT'S AIRFLOW .. COMBINED WITH THE HEATED AIR COMING OUT OF ONE BLOCKING AIRFLOW TO OTHER IS ALSO THE AIR THE OTHER GETS TO USE.
Warmer air into cooler means component has higher temps!.

I think you know all of this, so no idea why you posted what you did.
biggrin.gif

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

HEAT DOES NOT RISE!
HEAT RADIATES!
With no other variables involved warm air will rise above cool air .. simply because as air warm it expands and becomes less dense.
Key words are 'no other variables involved' .. like a fan even running a very low speed is way more powerful than warm lighter air.

The reason the GPU above another in a tower cooler runs warmer is the same reason it will run just as warm if case is on it's side ..
BECASUE ONE GPU HAS OPEN SPACE FOR IT'S FANS TO DRAW AIR FROM WHILE ONE HAS OTHER GPU BLOCKING IT'S AIRFLOW .. COMBINED WITH THE HEATED AIR COMING OUT OF ONE BLOCKING AIRFLOW TO OTHER IS ALSO THE AIR THE OTHER GETS TO USE.
Warmer air into cooler means component has higher temps!.

I think you know all of this, so no idea why you posted what you did.
biggrin.gif
Well....I would have put it more gently (who am I kidding....when have I ever been gentle stating the obvious?)...but, yeah, this is exactly what is going on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts