Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

In the last few days my PC started making a high pitch noise which is driving me crazy! It all started when i installed two new Samsung F3 1TB drives. I already had two of them before but i needed extra space. The noise is still there even if i unplug the new drives. The noise appears only when the windows sreen shows up, so it's possible that it's the graphics card?

The noise is even stronger with one of the new drives running. I don't know if it's because both new F3 hard drives sound louder than the old two and they also produce some high whistle noise, not like the other high pitch im talking about but it's also annoying and they maybe become stronger together.

How on the earth can, both new Samsung F3 sound so different to my old two. Old two are from 03.2011, new from 09.2011, such a small difference and yet the new sound terrible compared to the old two.

I also hear a high pitch noise from my Corsair AX750 psu when the PC is turned off but the psu is still under power, if i take away the power from the psu with it's power button, then the noise dissapears but this noise is a bi different from the other one. It's constant and not changing and i can't hear it when the pc is running. The other noise that annoys me is constantly changing the sound, it's louder, then more silent or almost disappears. I really don't know where exactyl does it come from, but it sounds near the gpu and cpu but it could also be the motherboard, it's hard to locate it.

It's so frustrating not to know which componente is causing this because i really can't listen to this noise anymore, it's hurthing my ears. My PC is very silent so every weird sound becomes annoying very fast
sadsmiley.gif

I bought my PC in the middle of 2011 and the specs are listen in my profile.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Selectively remove components and then run the PC. When it stops it was the last component. Sounds like your PSU to me.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
It is possible the caps, in the PSU. This is quite common under load. If your hearing it at idle in from your comp then your PSU could be bad. Also note that other components like your video card and motherboard could also produce this noise.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Only starts when you are at the windows screen. :S have you stopped each fan at a time to check if its the fans? possibly turn off all of your fans and have a listen and attempt to pinpoint the source of the noise just by listening right up to the inside of your case. it shouldn't be that hard.

On the PSU note I have literally no idea why it makes that whining noise. Hopefully someone more experienced and knowledgeable can come and help you, I will stick with this thread to see what the problem was when u get it fixed.

On a side note I want to get 4 F1's sooner or later and I was just wondering how is the performance increase from going to 4 from 2?
thumb.gif

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried a few things, stoped all fans, nothing changed, swaped the graphics card, still the same. I think it's not psu, the sound doesn't come from it, it's near the cpu and motherbaord. I think that it's the motherboard which is the worst of all
sadsmiley.gif
I don't want to exchange the motherboard just because of this, too much work, especially with the thermalright cpu cooler
sadsmiley.gif
but the high pitch is really annoying, especially because it's changing so much and it's really high, a pain for the ears. I also disconected everyting from the usb and network ports, erven tried to connect the hard drives to different sata ports, noting changed the pitch was still there.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Capacitors on motherboards can make this sound. It happened to me on my current Gigabyte motherboard. After researching this, I was able to quiet it only by disabling certain power management and overclocking features in the bios one at a time. I don't remember exactly which ones I had to disable but people report that changing the sleep mode can also affect this. Sorry I can't be more specific, just don't remember the exact BIOS settings.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatalrip View Post

Grab a long straw and hold it to your ear,you can then explore where the sound is coming from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by decapitor View Post

Capacitors on motherboards can make this sound. It happened to me on my current Gigabyte motherboard. After researching this, I was able to quiet it only by disabling certain power management and overclocking features in the bios one at a time. I don't remember exactly which ones I had to disable but people report that changing the sleep mode can also affect this. Sorry I can't be more specific, just don't remember the exact BIOS settings.
Thanks everyone, will try out this things tommorow.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
My last motherboard used to have squealing caps, but it went away after a few weeks of usage, and served me for three years

Now sits in my wardbrobe
rolleyes.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts