Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Invalid Media
6,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...When wanting to game at 4K (and at times 1440p) with decent framerates, it doesn't always have to be the absolute latest CPU and GPU generation, IMO. To that end, below are some select comparisons for three AMD CPU generations - a 2950X, a 3950X and a 5950X, paired with 2x 2080 Tis, a 6900XT and a 3090. These three systems have different functions for my work and play, and all three are fully custom water-cooled.

I recently upgraded everything to 4K monitors/TVs (40 inch, 48 inch, 55 inch) and compared these setups - the 2950X / 2x 2080 Ti combo was built in late 2018, while the other two stem from 2021...I was a bit surprised how well the older 2950X combo held up. While it can clearly not compete with the latest gens in terms of absolute 'peak' numbers, it is often more than enough to afford reasonably smooth gameplay, even with ray tracing. As it is connected to a 4K 60 Hz tv, the minimum requirements re. the rest of the system are not as demanding as for example the setup that serves a 48 inch 120Hz OLED.

Please note that these are not meant as a hardcore benchmark comparison; GPU clocks used are game stable (rather than full bench mode) and temps remain low. The purpose is to see whether 'last gen' tech in terms of CPU and GPU can still deliver decent 4K (and 1440p). While not included below, the original test bench for the 3090 acquisition was actually an Intel i7 5960X 8c/16t Haswell-E setup from 2014...even that then-seven-year old system managed to break 15,000 with a stock air-cooled (now water-cooled) 3090. Generally speaking and from my subjective perspective, those wishing to game (mostly) at 4K and who have a decent 8c/16t processor with good 32GB of RAM are better off spending their money on a good GPU rather than the latest CPUs and mobos, especially with an eye on upcoming next-gen CPU releases. Single-core performance does of course also matter a lot in gaming, and in my opinion, a 8 core CPU which can manage at least a single thread score of 480 and up in CPUz should be good enough when paired with a GPU that will run 4K easy...after all, at the higher resolutions, CPU performance is relatively less of an issue.

Finally, a quick note on the 2080 Ti SLI/NVLink system include below....surely, folks will groan that 'SLI is dead', and support for it in new games has clearly been waning. Nevertheless, a surprisingly large number of games (DX11, even DX12 RTX/DLSS) I play still work very well in SLI/NVLink, especially at 4K. Wherever possible, I use an undocumented driver feature that allows for SLI-CFR ('checker board') which doesn't do micro-stutter, for example, though the relevant drivers are getting a bit long in the tooth...

With that in mind, here are the setups and select DX11 and DX12 bench results...

Font Engineering Machine Electronic device Electric blue

Font Screenshot Software Technology Multimedia

Atmosphere Ecoregion Plant Nature Sky

Photograph Light Biome Screenshot Font

ED.: ...Superposition 8K:
Product Font Material property Gas Machine

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
nice to see and head to head comparison... not ideal, but gives you a picture what you can expect from what... Thanks for sharing :)

• Rep+
Reactions: J7SC

·
Expert pin bender
2,949 Posts
Pretty sure SLI up to RTX 2xxx is legacy(dx11/12/etc)where as RTX 3xxx it's extremely limited to dx12 if I recall.

Makes it a bit murky in the sense of comparing apples and oranges.

Still interesting to me though, I always like mGPU and older platforms. I find new hardware a bit boring these days. I think gaming as a whole though has been stagnant for a really long time on the hardware side. Which is where I like mGPU/SLI/CF because customizing hardware is more fringe now than ever. Today is just console like and a basic system.

·
Invalid Media
6,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pretty sure SLI up to RTX 2xxx is legacy(dx11/12/etc)where as RTX 3xxx it's extremely limited to dx12 if I recall.

Makes it a bit murky in the sense of comparing apples and oranges.

Still interesting to me though, I always like mGPU and older platforms. I find new hardware a bit boring these days. I think gaming as a whole though has been stagnant for a really long time on the hardware side. Which is where I like mGPU/SLI/CF because customizing hardware is more fringe now than ever. Today is just console like and a basic system.
...per intro, this wasn't really meant as a full-on GPU comparison, given the different underlying system platforms - more like 'what's still good enough for most 4K'. As to RTX3x series in SLI/NVL, I couldn't comment re. regular gaming, but there clearly are driver differences between those gens...the aforementioned SLI/NVL-CFR only worked on RTX2x, afaik.

...up until last year, every system I had built since 2011 was at least SLI - I kind of miss the visual 'symmetry'. Alas, the 6900XT has sooo many different customizing options via MPT etc, it keeps me busy fiddling :D.

·
PC Evangelist
48,444 Posts
Crazy how fast SLI is when it works. You basically had almost 2 gen ahead of performance.

·
Expert pin bender
2,949 Posts
Crazy how fast SLI is when it works. You basically had almost 2 gen ahead of performance.
It's always been this way, when it works. For instance my fastest 3dmark runs are still held by my old 4way FuryX crossfire. I still can't beat them even with a single 6900xt.

It never got widely accepted though and was always poorly implemented. The multi-gpu route was really superior by leaps and bounds. It just failed on the software side. Really really sucks.

·
Invalid Media
6,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...I still enjoy using it SLI/NVLwhere applicable. The 2x2080 Ti almost 'need' 4K+ to really wake up...the dark side is that combined, they suck back 760W on their own at full song :LOL:. Add in an oc'ed Threadripper at 320W+ in that system and you have a great supplemental heater for the winter...

It's always been this way, when it works. For instance my fastest 3dmark runs are still held by my old 4way FuryX crossfire. I still can't beat them even with a single 6900xt.

It never got widely accepted though and was always poorly implemented. The multi-gpu route was really superior by leaps and bounds. It just failed on the software side. Really really sucks.
SLI/NVL works surprisingly often even when no support is officially advertised, but overall, yes, the support was never truly broad enough. As mentioned above, the SLI 'CFR' option was even better (little/no micro-stutter etc) than the regular SLI AFR but wasn't supported officially, either. I guess NVidia/AMD a.) don't want the hassle re. driver profiles with SLI / Crossfire, and b.) rather sell you a new $$$GPU. All that said, future gens are likely to bring back mGPU ('tiles') but will appear as a single GPU to the system/driver...

·
Registered
127 Posts
...I still enjoy using it SLI/NVLwhere applicable. The 2x2080 Ti almost 'need' 4K+ to really wake up...the dark side is that combined, they suck back 760W on their own at full song :LOL:. Add in an oc'ed Threadripper at 320W+ in that system and you have a great supplemental heater for the winter...

SLI/NVL works surprisingly often even when no support is officially advertised, but overall, yes, the support was never truly broad enough. As mentioned above, the SLI 'CFR' option was even better (little/no micro-stutter etc) than the regular SLI AFR but wasn't supported officially, either. I guess NVidia/AMD a.) don't want the hassle re. driver profiles with SLI / Crossfire, and b.) rather sell you a new $$$GPU. All that said, future gens are likely to bring back mGPU ('tiles') but will appear as a single GPU to the system/driver...
Oh yes,
I have no heater in this room with my rig equipped with a R9 3950X and two RTX 2080 ti's with eight 4TB hard disk drives, keeps me warm even when I am not gaming.

Brown Rectangle Wood Font Gas

As for sli, it all depends on what games you play.
My favourite games all happen to be sli compatible....

Apex Legends
Arma 3
Battlefield 1
Battlefield 4
Battlefield V
Battlefield Hard Line
Call of Duty: WW2
Crysis Remastered
Crysis 2 Remastered
Crysis 3 Remastered
CS: GO
Destiny 2
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Dirt Rally 2
Escape from Tarkov
Far Cry 5
Ghost Recon: Wildlands
GTA 5
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Medal of Honour: Warfighter
Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain
Metro 2033/Exodus
Need For Speed 2015/Payback/Heat
Red Dead Redemption 2
Sniper: Ghost Warrior Contracts
Sniper: Ghost Warrior Contracts 2
Spec Ops: The Line
Star Wars: Battlefront 2
Strange Brigade
The Outer Worlds
Titanfall 1
Titanfall 2
Warface international
Watch Dogs 2

• Rep+
Reactions: J7SC

·
Invalid Media
6,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yes,
I have no heater in this room with my rig equipped with a R9 3950X and two RTX 2080 ti's with eight 4TB hard disk drives, keeps me warm even when I am not gaming.

View attachment 2562042
As for sli, it all depends on what games you play.
My favourite games all happen to be sli compatible....

Apex Legends
Arma 3
Battlefield 1
Battlefield 4
Battlefield V
Battlefield Hard Line
Call of Duty: WW2
Crysis Remastered
Crysis 2 Remastered
Crysis 3 Remastered
CS: GO
Destiny 2
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Dirt Rally 2
Escape from Tarkov
Far Cry 5
Ghost Recon: Wildlands
GTA 5
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Medal of Honour: Warfighter
Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain
Metro 2033/Exodus
Need For Speed 2015/Payback/Heat
Red Dead Redemption 2
Sniper: Ghost Warrior Contracts
Sniper: Ghost Warrior Contracts 2
Spec Ops: The Line
Star Wars: Battlefront 2
Strange Brigade
The Outer Worlds
Titanfall 1
Titanfall 2
Warface international
Watch Dogs 2
...just 'exercised' the 2x2080Ti w/full-on Wattskies - ambient before the run started was 24C, afterwards...extra cozy ! CPU and GPU w-cooling was working overtime😁
Household hardware Font Gas Cylinder Parallel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts