Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

Kind people in previous threads helped me get some better cooling for my CPU because my CPU temps were way too high (70-80-90 degrees celcius).

I bought a H100 Water Cooler and a new case (NZXT Phantom) to stimulate airflow etc. I currently have 6 fans inside the case. The airflow within the case is perfect.

The problem is, the temperature of my CPU is still 41-42 on idle (just running windows). Which is way too high for a H100 liquid cooler. My brother (who is sitting next to me) also has a phantom nzxt and pretty much the same airflow. However, he has an intel stock cooler. His temperatures are around 20-30 when playing World of Warcraft... I just don't get it!

My CPU is overclocked from 3.2 to 3.6. I tried "unclocking" it but the temperature was about the same (maybe 3 degrees difference).

Anyone that could help?

Is it possible that my CPU "Broke" because my temperatures were too high in my previous case? Should I contact intel for a new one?

//Choco

·
Registered
524 Posts
most probably you didnt install the block properly..make sure it sits well on the cpu so it makes good contact..also make sure u didnt add too little or too much thermal paste..a rice drop would suffice..

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worple;15289143
On any watercooled system its not the idle temps you worry about. Its the load temps what are they getting up to?
How could I test that? I have Prime95 (not sure if it's called like that) but have no idea how to use it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoCake;15289229
How could I test that? I have Prime95 (not sure if it's called like that) but have no idea how to use it.
That is what I would use. Simply start it up, select the "test only mode", select 4 threads.. and le click run! Be sure to monitor your temp's during this, because its going to max all 4 cores!

Cheers,
GA

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandArchitect;15289256
That is what I would use. Simply start it up, select the "test only mode", select 4 threads.. and le click run! Be sure to monitor your temp's during this, because its going to max all 4 cores!

Cheers,
GA
Where can I find "Test only mode"?

Do you mean "Test..." under the "Advanced" category? And then select 4 "Workers"? Thanks a lot for your help so far.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Check your load temps as others have stated, idle temps don't matter much anyways maybe a reseat is in order.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoCake;15289287
Where can I find "Test only mode"?

Do you mean "Test..." under the "Advanced" category? And then select 4 "Workers"? Thanks a lot for your help so far.
That works.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilDSM;15289304
That works.
Sorry to bother you with this but... It's *****ing about some number I have to put in.

Could you tell me how I can get to that "Test Mode" feature you were talking about?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Think I found it, it's called a "Torture test". I can select threads there. I just dont know which option to take:

Small FFTs
In-Place large FFTs
Blend

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have an h100 with GT AP15s running my i7 at 4ghz 1.2vcore. I idle at 43 and load at 68. Perfectly normal.

What voltages are you using at 3.8ghz? If you have them set to auto, that would be why your load temps are off the charts.

Prime 95 is simple, you open it and click run...
headscratch.gif

No one is running an i7 on stock cooling and playing wow at only 30C. Something is wrong here.

Did I just get trolled, idk.
headscratch.gif

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
definitely seems high. See what it does under load though
I just installed the H80 and saw significant improvement over the H50 I had
same test:
PRime 95
H50 temp shot to 85c in minutes
H80 never went above 72c and stayed mainly in the 60's

same oc, same tests, same volts.

definitely isn't seated right or you have the fans fighting each other
btw idle temp is 24-26c

·
Registered
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoCake;15289319
Think I found it, it's called a "Torture test". I can select threads there. I just dont know which option to take:

Small FFTs
In-Place large FFTs
Blend
Go for blend, I'm sure it should do the job.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Having too much thermal paste would only increase degrees by 1-3 degrees MAX. As you mount the cooler it'll push extra thermal paste to the sides anyway. Plus the h100 comes with TIM pre-applied.

I would double check your mounts. Also can you feel the pump, or listen to it. Does it feel/sound like its working? Also make sure its not sputtering.

Also how do you have your fans setup on the h100? Make sure they are moving air from outside the case through the radiator. The air temp inside the case is warm, you want cool air from out side the case going across the radiator.

Quote:
Is it possible that my CPU "Broke" because my temperatures were too high in my previous case? Should I contact intel for a new one?
Anything is possible, although I don't think I've ever heard/seen this happen.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingNugget;15289320
I have an h100 with GT AP15s running my i7 at 4ghz 1.2vcore. I idle at 43 and load at 68. Perfectly normal.

What voltages are you using at 3.8ghz? If you have them set to auto, that would be why your load temps are off the charts.

headscratch.gif

No one is running an i7 on stock cooling and playing wow at only 30C. Something is wrong here.

headscratch.gif
I can take a picture of it... I'm not lying. He is playing WoW, having some applications running (like Spotify etc) and his temperature is: 26-30.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandArchitect;15289331
Yeah, that's what you're looking for, select "Blend".

GOod luck!

-GA
I selected 4 threads, the "load" (on RealTemp) says 54% and the temperature is 55-60.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingNugget;15289320

headscratch.gif

headscratch.gif
I'm running wow, 10 tabs open on chrome, steam, and a bot right now on my second monitor with the H100 and my temps are hovering at 32C on AI suite II...

=D

·
Registered
153 Posts
Weren't you the one that replaced both your case & cooler? If so, I think you're having an issue unrelated to cooling. I had this awhile back where my i7 would load at completely ridiculous temperatures. Try resetting cmos or waiting a couple days. It took me a few tries but it eventually worked, and I had normal load temps again. Your idle temps are pretty normal btw.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts