Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to ask if it is normal to get "High" temperatures even on a delidded i7 7820x CPU? The CPU was bought delidded from caseking so it should have been done right. I'll add a Picture collage of the temps as attachement.
Settings:
-VRIN = 1.9V
-LLC= Normal(on a gigabyte x299 gaming 7)
-Vcore = 1.278V
-Multiplier=49
-BCLK=100mhz
-Mesh= 3GHZ
-Power limit set to 400W
Those were meassured at a room temperature of 22 degrees and the water temperature was between 26 and 28 deegres but after running it for an hour it would raise to like 30.
In videogames the CPU has around 50 degrees, which is a bit high depending on the 30% usage but that doesn't bother me. But those Prime and CPU-z temps keep me from raising the voltage

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
You're running eight cores at 4.9 GHz and the CPU alone if pulling >340W. I can't say those temperatures are unexpected.

Are these temperatures form AVX-enabled loads, or normal loads?

For reference, my delidded i7-7820X paired with a Noctua NH-D15S will hit up to 97°C if I'm at 4.8 GHz/1.25V, and that's only pulling ~275W. I backed the overclock down to 4.6 GHz because it runs at 1.1V and doesn't even break 200W power draw.

·
Premium Member
5,380 Posts
I have yet to delid my 7820X and it also runs hot. 4.8 @1.25V=97-99C, 4.7 @1.2V=84-91C, 4.6 @1.160V=70-79C, finally 4.5 @1.1V=59-67C.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
you are running 400w bro 400w are 400w did i said 400w>?

delid would great help you but dont expect miracles from a cpu thats pulling 350-400 watts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is already delidded. And yes the 340W are with prime 95 at 4.6GHZ for AVX. But the normale temps with other benchmarks bother me. I have a HEATKILLER® CPU REV3.0 would a ekwb monoblock be an upgrade?

·
Robotic Chemist
3,016 Posts
That is exactly what I would expect given those voltages and cooler. You simply cannot keep Skylake X cold enough at 4.9 GHz without subambiant cooling.

I did find increasing the flow rate of my loop helped lower my CPU temps a few degrees but my flow rate was pretty low before (~0.5GPM doubled to ~1GPM). My CPU still hits run away temperatures at 1.25V and 4.8 GHz, it is nasty how fast temps go up trying to get those last 100 or 200 MHz. Voltage hurts temps a lot and 1.278V is simply too high to cool.

I am using the EK Asus R6E/Apex monoblock and my water temp does not go above 33°C.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Okey interessting seems like i have to up my pump i'll try. My flow sensor says i'am running 2L per minute so arround 0.53Gallons as long as the online converter is right XD. I'll try to speed up my pump a bit maybe it helps.
EDIT:
I just set my aquastream xt to 100hz from 80 but it didnt really help. The flow rised around 0.2l/min so not even worth mentioning.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
It is already delidded. And yes the 340W are with prime 95 at 4.6GHZ for AVX. But the normale temps with other benchmarks bother me. I have a HEATKILLER? CPU REV3.0 would a ekwb monoblock be an upgrade?
Monoblocks are a bargain on perf as it will raise your water temp even more and you probably get higher temps as its getting dump inside loop.

Its better for whole system overall and ur vrms would be better cooled and ur case but all that heat isnnow inside those rads

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The thing is i don't worry about the rads or the water because they are low temperature. I worry about the heat connnection between cpu and Water. I'am thinking about using Liquid metal between the heatspreader and the Cooler

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
The thing is i don't worry about the rads or the water because they are low temperature. I worry about the heat connnection between cpu and Water. I'am thinking about using Liquid metal between the heatspreader and the Cooler
I only use liquid metal between ihs and die and ihs and block good thermal paste of your choice.

Also what i meant with the heat inside the loop your vrms and chokes heat would be inside the block not only the cpu. So probably your cpu would go up as well. Its a variable and depends setup to setup. Can improve or can make it worst.

Look at this way you are trying to cool 350w+ only the cpu watts wise.

Think like it's a high end gpu for example in that perspective but with a smaller die which equals more heat.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I don't think gpu is a good comparison. I can keep my 1080ti with 290W usage under 50 degrees Celsius
And me 30c avg using a koolance 220 block see theres a variant and using a full EK block 35-40c
those little puppy's give me better temps on the die than a full block. Its a placebo effect as the full block is cooling the gpu plus all the mayor components of the pcb. The little block is only cooling the gpu die it looks kind of weird going from that to a full block as ur temps would be higher on the software readings.

But the full block is doing a better job than the little block even if ur gpu temps are higher according to software reading. I mean i would not cry between both the founders cooler would do a awesome job cooling vrms and mem..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I find a bit high those temperatures, but depends on the radiators u are using and the condition of that delid since sometimes it is needed to delid and relid again to make a good job.

This was my 7900x at 4.9-4.9avx:

If we talk about the 18 cores, things get hotter (4.7-4.7avx):

My Custom LC consists of simple watercooling by radiators (UT60's) without a chiller. A chiller would help for sure to reduce temps.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
You might wanna redue the liquid metal. The amount of glue can effect temps.if there to much. I would also test pump flow and fan rpm and see if there temp differences. Your cooling set up might be only good enough for 200 to 300.watts and can't get rid off the.heat fast enough. If that's the case you might need more rads or better fans or higher flow or better liquid metal application.
I redid mine about 4 time before I got the.best temps. My h100i can handle 8700k at 5.3ghz only getting max 57c in stress testing.
The perfect delidd is key. After that most cooling should work. My bets on a bad delid job with to much or to little liquid metal or way to much.glue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts