Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Just hangin' out
1,581 Posts
2V VCore?

I wonder why your temps are so high ...

At 3600 MHz you should be under 1V.

Also, 4V DIMM voltage? Is that even possible?

EDIT:

I know we have different motherboards, but this is my Z390 Dark and 9900K at 3600MHz, AUTO VCore

Font Screenshot Technology Software Science

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
9900k z390-a pro msi board.
Just did a full cmos clear no power not battery 10min or more with cmos jumper on it.
"Overclockers hate him, learn how to push 2v into the cpu, using this one simple trick!"

Holy silicon hell, did it reads 2v on HWInfo or you only booted into the bios?
Dram and PCH voltage at 4v, lol wtheck?!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Pretty sure the BIOS is just busted. Try a different version.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Definitely wrong readouts, that DRAM would go poof long ago at 4V.

·
Registered
5900X, RTX 3080
854 Posts
2V VCore?

I wonder why your temps are so high ...

At 3600 MHz you should be under 1V.

Also, 4V DIMM voltage? Is that even possible?
I was going to say the same thing. It's been many years since I've seen a CPU with 2V going into it, and I don't believe I've ever seen RAM with 4V going into it, only 1.8-1.9V (DDR2).

As others have pointed out, your CPU would likely be damaged (although possibly functioning) running with that sort of voltage, and your RAM definitely would be.
  1. Reflash the BIOS
  2. Once it's finished flashing, load optimised defaults and reboot.
  3. Clear CMOS
  4. Try booting again and see if you get the same values.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I was going to say the same thing. It's been many years since I've seen a CPU with 2V going into it, and I don't believe I've ever seen RAM with 4V going into it, only 1.8-1.9V (DDR2).
DDR was 2.5V (I had some DDR-500 that used 2.8V, and there was a crazy OCZ kit that could take 3.2V) and SDRAM was 3.3V... can't remember off the top of my head what 30-pin SIMMs took, although I expect it was 5V...

·
Registered
5900X, RTX 3080
854 Posts
DDR was 2.5V (I had some DDR-500 that used 2.8V, and there was a crazy OCZ kit that could take 3.2V) and SDRAM was 3.3V... can't remember off the top of my head what 30-pin SIMMs took, although I expect it was 5V...
I was only around 10 when the sub-2V DDR2 was released. I still have an OCZ SSD (480GB Arc 100) that, after six years, still shows 100% life remaining. I miss OCZ.

All this talk of RAM makes me want to lower my DDR4 to 800 (I believe that's the lowest clock my motherboard supports) and see how tight I can make the timings. Would be interesting (at least to me).

·
Still kinda lost
3,697 Posts
It's obviously a bugged BIOS, evident by the numbers 2046x2 is 4092 and those are the only numbers showing.

Reflash another bios and see what happens.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
lol i got a kit of the ddr 400 ocz platinums ;)

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
lol i got a kit of the ddr 400 ocz platinums ;)
I'd love to see if I could find my old DDR-500 kit, and the Athlon XP I had it paired with. That box went through about six GPUs (not one of which cost me more than £250) before I finally decommissioned it for a socket 939 Opteron 170.

That Corsair kit was the only RGB I ever actually liked - didn't need any drivers or other nonsense, and I could see at a glance whether or not an apparent freeze was actually frozen or whether it was just maxing the CPU so hard the cursor had locked up temporarily (which Flash video really liked to do, and remains the primary reason why I loathe Adobe in general and Flash in particular...)

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I was only around 10 when the sub-2V DDR2 was released. I still have an OCZ SSD (480GB Arc 100) that, after six years, still shows 100% life remaining. I miss OCZ.

All this talk of RAM makes me want to lower my DDR4 to 800 (I believe that's the lowest clock my motherboard supports) and see how tight I can make the timings. Would be interesting (at least to me).
DDR4 can only be set to CL9 at the lowest. It physically cannot be set lower.

It's a limit of DDR4.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Did not know that. It should still be fun to play with.
I'm fairly sure it's a hard imposed limit, meaning if you could run CL8 or less you could NEVER get it stable.

I found out the hard way awhile ago that CL9 was the lowest. Back when DDR4 was maxing out at around 3000mhz, I had some 2666mhz sticks with unbelievably tight timings set, was trying for under CL9 and learned that was the lower limit.

Oh absolutely, should definitely still be fun to mess about with that in mind.

·
Registered
5900X, RTX 3080
854 Posts
I'm fairly sure it's a hard imposed limit, meaning if you could run CL8 or less you could NEVER get it stable.

I found out the hard way awhile ago that CL9 was the lowest. Back when DDR4 was maxing out at around 3000mhz, I had some 2666mhz sticks with unbelievably tight timings set, was trying for under CL9 and learned that was the lower limit.

Oh absolutely, should definitely still be fun to mess about with that in mind.
I had (still have somewhere) another great kit of 2*8GB HyperX with its XMP being 2667 CL16. Using The Stilt's profiles (and additional tweaking) on a Z170 motherboard, I managed to get that to 3000 CL12.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The owner of this gem did say "i did see smoke coming off the ram followed by the smell of burn electronics".

I really cant say if those readings are correct or not but definitely adding way more volts than it should regardless. Anyone know what the absolute maximum bios Vdimm voltages are, at least in your experiences?

As for Bios flashing thats a big negative it wont work. Board needs a bios chip. That or possibly the cpu has a bad contact with the board and the auto sense is way off or something weird (no idea if that is even a thing). This just started happening on its own. Quite possibly while the machine was running. He had intermediate over temp issues to start. I had thought his AIO had stopped pumping water. This was not the case!
We had checked voltages in windows prior to this and they had been normal. I can not say if the voltages changed this drastically while his over temps were happing sadly, but my guess is yes absolutely. i did not even know the bios was able to change settings while in operation XD

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
The owner of this gem did say "i did see smoke coming off the ram followed by the smell of burn electronics".

I really cant say if those readings are correct or not but definitely adding way more volts than it should regardless. Anyone know what the absolute maximum bios Vdimm voltages are, at least in your experiences?

As for Bios flashing thats a big negative it wont work. Board needs a bios chip. That or possibly the cpu has a bad contact with the board and the auto sense is way off or something weird (no idea if that is even a thing). This just started happening on its own. Quite possibly while the machine was running. He had intermediate over temp issues to start. I had thought his AIO had stopped pumping water. This was not the case!
We had checked voltages in windows prior to this and they had been normal. I can not say if the voltages changed this drastically while his over temps were happing sadly, but my guess is yes absolutely. i did not even know the bios was able to change settings while in operation XD
There's no way that's right. 4v ram voltage would literally fry it on boot.
4v isn't safe for ddr1 much less 4

1 - 20 of 21 Posts