Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll just make this short and sweet.

My CPU - Pentium dual core E6500 2.93 OC to 3.77

Okay. I'm liquid cooled with the rasa, aftermarket NBrdige cooler, and I just recently lapped my cpu.

I'm hitting 50C under full load, and I'm not happy with this at all. Is this typical? I feel like I could be running 50C under a load with the stock fan and no mods at all.

Advice please. Am I overreacting?

Edit: Oh, my TIM is IC7 Diamond

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
I'd remount with a different TIM. A lot of people love IC7 but I never managed a good mount with it and prefer MX-2. Skinnee tested Prolimatech PK-1 and found it to be one of the best TIMs.

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
I'd say 50c under load is not that bad. try dropping your vcore a notch and test.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Your temps are great. Do Not drop your v-core, if you OC'd it well, your voltage should be keeping you stable and your temps are well within operating parameters, you would only lose stability and degrade your chip faster.

Also, on stock cooling, I think you would be looking at some very high temps for an OC that large. Ofc you're not as high powered as some of the modern chips, but personally, assuming you aren't about to go over the voltage recommended limits, I would keep pushing the OC up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Elf
View Post

I'd remount with a different TIM. A lot of people love IC7 but I never managed a good mount with it and prefer MX-2. Skinnee tested Prolimatech PK-1 and found it to be one of the best TIMs.

I was worried about that. I think you're right, I might try something else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FREELINE57
View Post

I'd say 50c under load is not that bad. try dropping your vcore a notch and test.

Okay, I'll try this as well. Hopefully I don't sacrifice any stability :x

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
I forgot to ask, what are your ambient temps?

I was judging the load temps compared to my Q9650 at 4GHz on air cooling which were 58ºC in an ambient of 20ºC with a TRUE (46ºC with water). A 30% overclock isn't that high.

·
Reject the system
1,555 Posts
The temp on your cpu doesn't seem TERRIBLE by any means. Especially if you have a bit higher ambient temp.

I'm running a q9450 @ 4.0 and it hits at around 50C under load. Ambient temps are around 22c-25c.

Also using the rasa kit. I think your temps are acceptable

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Good enough, though seems a little high. Check for a concave on your CPU and replace TIM, also maybe some better fans? kind of left out quite a few important details (ambient temp, tim used, fans used,etc).

·
Reject the system
1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adzsask;14157799
Good enough, though seems a little high. Check for a concave on your CPU and replace TIM, also maybe some better fans? kind of left out quite a few important details (ambient temp, tim used, fans used,etc).
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeD419;14155988

Edit: Oh, my TIM is IC7 Diamond
4char

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by adzsask;14157799
Like I said, my cpu is lapped - therefore flat, and I'm using IC7 diamond which I applied yesterday evening.

I have 2 fans on the radiator, a case fan in, and a case fan out.

Ambient temps are 29C.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SeeD419
View Post

Ambient temps are 29C.

20oC above ambient on load with a decent overclock....

You frankly wont do much better on water IMO maybe a couple of degrees here and there.

If you want more there's always water chillers, TEC cooling or phase change.

Personally I believe those chips can go up to around 60-70oC before any issues arise, so I would be looking to get as much speed out before it got above that (or the recommended max voltage of the chip).

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Ah there we are, ambients are pretty high and water cooling is very sensitive to high ambients, more fans and a reseat of the waterblock would be the cure (if already full of fans on rad then fan shrouds).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts