Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my second rig in my sig I have a Intel Dual core HS/F on it... But the temps are outrageous. Idle in the high 40's-50's and load in the low 70's. I am not much into air cooling since I mainly started out on water. I have a bunch of case fans.. here is my case setup..Notice the #'s refer to the fans..

Fan 1 = 120mm exaust case fan
Fan 2 = 120mm PSU intake fan
Fan 3 = 80mm PSU exaust fan
Fan 4 and 5 = 2 80mm intake fans
Fan 6 = Intel stock HS/F for 920.

Now, How can I improve these temps? I was thinking of making fan #1 an intake fan, so cold air would flow over my Intel HS/F and then be removed by the PSU's fans.. According to my PSU readouts, my Ambient temps are around 33c and down..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,006 Posts
if u wouldnt mind me saying it...change the 2x80mm fans with another 120mm fan of at least 90cfm flow if not change the fan 1 into that location and then install the 80mm into the exhaust....remember that hot air rises and cold air settles to the bottom, this would greatly reduce ur casing temps and therefore also ur cpu temp...right now ur exhaust fan is sucking air off the cpu fan so u need to complement that with some other equal flow and thats why i am suggesting the 120mm 90cfm fan in front..

another thing u can do if u r able to get the 120mm is to install the 2x80mm fans on the top of the casing after drilling holes into them...expect a further 5°C temp drop from this...its from my past experience...and finally another thing the intel dual cores are made to work at that temps....

i think with proper management of cabling and air flow u can get the temp down and stable at about 50°C but to be safe just do some water cooling and u r looking at temps about 30 to 35°C at load
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by cyrixMII300

if u wouldnt mind me saying it...change the 2x80mm fans with another 120mm fan of at least 90cfm flow if not change the fan 1 into that location and then install the 80mm into the exhaust....remember that hot air rises and cold air settles to the bottom, this would greatly reduce ur casing temps and therefore also ur cpu temp...right now ur exhaust fan is sucking air off the cpu fan so u need to complement that with some other equal flow and thats why i am suggesting the 120mm 90cfm fan in front..

another thing u can do if u r able to get the 120mm is to install the 2x80mm fans on the top of the casing after drilling holes into them...expect a further 5°C temp drop from this...its from my past experience...and finally another thing the intel dual cores are made to work at that temps....

i think with proper management of cabling and air flow u can get the temp down and stable at about 50°C but to be safe just do some water cooling and u r looking at temps about 30 to 35°C at load

I can't change the front 80mm intake fans because there no room for a 120mm fan. I would If I could but that wouldn't work


Another question, is my intel HS/F going 100%? because according to the software that came with my motherboard, it is only reading that fan spinning at 2500RPM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,006 Posts
sorry for the delay in replying...was out a while.....anyways, if u cant put in a 120mm there at least try to get 2X80 or 2x92 (make sure they both produce in total the equivalent or more cfm than the exhaust fan) and install them there or check ur existing ones on whether the total cfm is more than the exhaust fan...and do take on my idea on the top exhaust...the rest u can follow the idea of the flows, i am pretty much sure the temps will drop by about 10 to 15°C if u did all of that

as for the fan i wouldnt be able to say completely unless u have ur fan rating but the figure of 2500 seems about right for intel stock hsf rpm...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by cyrixMII300

sorry for the delay in replying...was out a while.....anyways, if u cant put in a 120mm there at least try to get 2X80 or 2x92 (make sure they both produce in total the equivalent or more cfm than the exhaust fan) and install them there or check ur existing ones on whether the total cfm is more than the exhaust fan...and do take on my idea on the top exhaust...the rest u can follow the idea of the flows, i am pretty much sure the temps will drop by about 10 to 15°C if u did all of that

as for the fan i wouldnt be able to say completely unless u have ur fan rating but the figure of 2500 seems about right for intel stock hsf rpm...

ok, this is my 120mm exaust fan, and these are my intake fans 80mm. (they didn't work for an old dual socket motherboard so i used the fans for this case) The CMF is rated at 96 for the 120mm and 52 for the 80mm's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,006 Posts
they look about right.....and in terms of cfm the total of the 2x80 should outdo the 120 so u should be getting enough flow into and out of the casing, but are the fans on top of each other or side by side? coz if they are side they are more effective in producing a convective flow of air thru the bottom which will when met with a restriction rise together to the top...if they are stacked vertically the fans would just cancel out each other somewhat and lose power...this is because of the behaviour of force circulation. the air from the bottom fan will try to rise while the top will either keep blowing straight or after some distance curve slightly lower. so try to get them next to each other
btw sorry to say this but u can do with a bit of improvement in terms of cabling in there...

i actually have all this info in my latest info which sadly is not yet approved otherwise u could save lots time just by reading it... :d
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
update... I reversed the 120mm exaust fan to make it an intake fan. It seems to be working a little better, by about 8c off idle and load temps.. any more suggestions are welcome, because I don't need this thing to burn up
 

·
I remember when......
Joined
·
3,812 Posts
wowza, it's not just you.

I have the same CPU and the same problems. idles at 55c, at 30% CPU load it hits 70-72c, the fan runs at 2500-2700RPM. I think there must be something not right about the heatsinks for these 9xx chips, my old Prescott idled lower than this thing with it's stock heatsink and it was in the same case.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Thumper

wowza, it's not just you.

I have the same CPU and the same problems. idles at 55c, at 30% CPU load it hits 70-72c, the fan runs at 2500-2700RPM. I think there must be something not right about the heatsinks for these 9xx chips, my old Prescott idled lower than this thing with it's stock heatsink and it was in the same case.

But, I am using a 640 with a presler 920 heatsink.. On my 920, I have watercooling.

ok, I see what your saying, should I use the stock HSF for the 640? Because I thought the 920 HSF would be more powerful
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top