Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted in the XSPC club thread but I wanted to make my own thread to try and get more help.

lapped 2600k @ 5ghz no HT @ 1.488v

lapped Raystorm with X20 750 pump and RX240 rad with 2 1650rpm fans

Ambient: 22c

Okay so not even 15 minutes into prime95 blend I'm seeing temps of 85c. There are no kinks, the flow seems good based on how fast the bubbles flowed through. I've done my best to purge the system of air so I can only assume there is no air in it. I've remounted the block several times and every time the TIM spread looked good.

At this point I'm lost, only thing I can think is that I need a better pump but does a small CPU only loop really need more than the X20 750 to achieve good temps? Will a D5 pump really help that much?

It seems people on OCN are achieving better temps with air cooling (NH-D14) even.

I'd really appreciate some help figuring out why my temps are as high as they are.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Did you lap the block with it assembled? If so you've probably lapped the bow out of it, you need to lap the baseplate only. After saying that it wouldn't fully explain the high temps.

I doubt a D5 would make a noticeable difference unless the pump is defective.

You could be unlucky and have a 'hot' CPU.

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Few stupid questions to rule out the obvious:

If you took your block apart to lap it. When you put it back together are you sure you put the jet plate in the right way round? In the past someone put theirs in at 90° to where it should be.

Did you put the small o-ring back in?

Are you using the correct "in" and "out" port on the block?

What orientation is your rad in? If it is vertical with the ports are at the bottom there may well be air trapped in the top plenum.

Do the tubes round your block get warm?

• Rep+
Reactions: DBEAU

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
If you disassemble the block and lap just the baseplate it'll fix it. I made the same mistake a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Even lapping it again is unlikely to give vastly improved temps. What are the load temps like at stock and at a lower overclock with a lower voltage, are they also very high?

Is the Raystorm the only block in the loop?

·
Registered
796 Posts
I had very high temps with my rastorm. I had disassembled it and i rotated the base so the jet plate was parallel to the fins, they should be perpendicular

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Elf View Post

Even lapping it again is unlikely to give vastly improved temps. What are the load temps like at stock and at a lower overclock with a lower voltage, are they also very high?
Is the Raystorm the only block in the loop?
Yeah the raystorm is the only block in the loop. Stock load temps are around 45c

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglatins View Post

Are you sure you didn't rotate the base like i said?
I just got finished putting it all back together and I read your post along the way. I'm positive I put the base on right. There was even a faint outline on the inside of the base to confirm which way it went.

I'm actually quite surprised at the simplicity of the inner block.

Anyway.. i'm starting to think I just have a really hot chip. I guess I should be happy that I can get 5ghz stable.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
I'd still disassemble the loop and block and check everything again when reassembling.

If possible and just in case your pump is defective can you try another one, maybe borrow one. Unless it is defective though then a D5 wouldn't really help other than provide a spare for when the XSPC fails (and from what I've read it probably will).

Same for the CPU, can borrow one and see whether that also suffers high temps with the same setup.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
what happens to the temp if you decrease vcore voltage to 1.35v and back your multi down.
temps should fall as well. if so, your chip just isn't one of the "special" to hold high vcore.
did you have this same issue with an air heat-sink?

airdeano

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm using a 2500k and I get roughly around 53 degrees @ 1.3v and 4.6 gHz. Also, I'm using the same block as you.

Like someone already said, I would lower the voltage and the multiplier down just a bit to see if the temperatures are still "high" at around those levels. I'd suspect that 1.488v would dump quite a bit of heat.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts