Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, would really like your opinion on my corsair h60 cooling. Currently running a 4.4ghz oc with an i5-3570k on an asus p8z77-v lx and 1.120vcore. As I've googled around other results for overclocking this cpu I feel my temps are really bad compared to other who have a much higher vcore.
Using Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste(applied with "pea"-method)

Picture

Is my temps high considering I'm only at 1.120vcore(4.4GHz) with and corsair h60(push/pull)?

two front intakes(140mm), 3 exhaust in top(2x140mm 1x120mm) and rear intake in pushpull through h60 radiator.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Its quite a tiny radiator, so the cooling performance is not thát great.
In your pic I only see your idle temps, or am I missing something?

Furthermore there's a 12 degree difference between your hottest and coldest core.
This can basically, in my opnion, mean 2 things:

1. Your waterblock is mounted incorrectly and/or the corsair bracket is installed improperly
2. Intel screwed up Ivy Bridge and Haswell and you need to delid it to achieve better cooling and less difference between the cores.

How does it perform under full load, using something like Prime95 V27 to V27.7 (Dont use V28 please, it causes insane loads)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coretemp, realtemp and hwmonitor all show the maxtemperature that was achived during a ~20 min prime95 test

·
Registered
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaanuts View Post

Coretemp, realtemp and hwmonitor all show the maxtemperature that was achived during a ~20 min prime95 test
Ah silly of me, sorry!
With which version of prime95 was this tested?

Also I'm not sure what precise bracket the H60 uses and how it's mounted, but I once didnt install the backplate of a H110i GT properly on an 1150 socket.
The bracket should be alligned perfectly in accordance to the motherboards backplate layout:

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Quote:

Prime 95 version 28.7.1.0
Well the bracket on the back is mounted incorrectly. On one side of the bracket (right on your picture) there is cutout. They need to be aligned at top or stock backplate will interfere.
I used to have an H60 some time ago and did the same mistake at first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to move the bracket to lower position? Or am I misinterpreting what you are saying?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Saw what you meant now, gonna rotate the back bracket 90 degrees counter-clockwise and see how that helps. Thanks for that info. I'll come back with some more pictures/temps later

·
Registered
263 Posts
Quote:

Saw what you meant now, gonna rotate the back bracket 90 degrees counter-clockwise and see how that helps. Thanks for that info. I'll come back with some more pictures/temps later
Yeah it's what I expected, its the exact same mistake I made with my Corsair H110i GT back at the time
thumb.gif

As you can see in the pic, the bracket has 2 cutouts that need to allign with the 2 socket bolts on the top.

This would explain the semi-high idle temps and also slightly less-than-expected load temps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by orvils View Post

Well the bracket on the back is mounted incorrectly. On one side of the bracket (right on your picture) there is cutout. They need to be aligned at top or stock backplate will interfere.
I used to have an H60 some time ago and did the same mistake at first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stin0 View Post

Yeah it's what I expected, its the exact same mistake I made with my Corsair H110i GT back at the time
thumb.gif

As you can see in the pic, the bracket has 2 cutouts that need to allign with the 2 socket bolts on the top.

This would explain the semi-high idle temps and also slightly less-than-expected load temps.

Mounted the back-bracket again, correctly this time (line method for thermal paste) and these are the temps I've gotten now. Done 2 intel burn tests "standard" as of now.

TEMPS

Thank you both for your help, think I might be able to push another 100mhz and maybe 200mhz now before I enter the 80C now.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Quote:

Mounted the back-bracket again, correctly this time (line method for thermal paste) and these are the temps I've gotten now. Done 2 intel burn tests "standard" as of now.

TEMPS

Thank you both for your help, think I might be able to push another 100mhz and maybe 200mhz now before I enter the 80C now.
No problem, always happy to help! It's an annoying thing to spot and something you wouldn't think off, that's why I had the same problem.
Have fun overclocking some more
thumb.gif

I would btw advice on using Prime95 V27,7 as latest version; the v28.X are a bit too much.. especially with an i7.
Your temps will also be slightly lower and v27,7 STILL shows insane high loads you would normally never reach!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts