Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from me.First I wanna say that I'm really glad that I'm here
smile.gif

So,I overclocked my 2500k ,following this guide.My mobo is Asus P8P67-M PRO,so that's the right guide. Everything was ok,but when i turned on Prime95,i saw that cpu voltage is over 1,512...The CPU cooler is good (Noctua NH-D 14).

I just can't make the voltage lower.After 10 min running Prime95,temperatures was something like 75-8.I didn't get any crash,or blue screen,but I really want to get lower voltage!

Thanks for the attention!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The Sandybridge processors were notorious for high clocks but most needed higher voltage than some people were comfortable with. My own 2500K only needed 1.42v to hit 5GHz. As long as the chip is cooled properly under full load and you can accept there may be some voltage degradation with 1.51v on the cores, then you're probably fine with running at 5GHz. I ran 5.2GHz for nearly a year with watercooling.

I would personally drop the voltage to a more reasonable 1.4v or so and see what your chip can hit. You'll get nearly the same performance in games and applications and you'll prolong the processors life with a decrease in heat output.

·
Registered
661 Posts
That is a bit too high. Is it not stable with ,say, 1.48V ? Just lower the voltage in small increments until it`s not stable anymore and see what you get.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last time my CPU was incredible and max stable at 4,6 at 1.40V. I know that is little too high for 4,6.But I remember that i ran Prime 95 for around 20 hours with no problems.I think that just my CPU is bad for OC.

And btw,I'm planing to get 1080,or at least 980 ti.So is it will be ok at 4,6? I want to push my old sandy to 5 ghz only because of the new 1080.I think that at 4,6 or lower it will has bottleneck.

I'm with Tri-x 290x ,and I have no problems with bottleneck.But those Nvidia flagmans are really powerful
smile.gif

·
Registered
661 Posts
Mine is not so good either I need almost 1.45 for 4.8 GHZ. And never ran prime 95 for more than an hour, the hyper 212 can`t handle the heat. I got temps over 90°C.
I am exactly in your situation. I will upgrade my GPU but i`m afraid it the CPU will drag it down a bit. I don`t want to pay so much for a new GPU and not benefit from all the performance it can offer. We should wait for the new cards to be released and see how they run on older generation CPU`s.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I never had over 75 at prime95 when it was at 1.4 (4.6).I can also go for 2600k,but I don't know is it good profit.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Considering that those cpus are on their way to the junkyard soon anyway Id use as much volt wd it takes for that frequency and if temps are reasonable, why not?

·
Premium Member
6,747 Posts
Wow bummer on the voltage. Guess I'm spoiled. I've never gone past 4.6GHz but my 2500k manages 4.5GHz @ 1.286v and 4.6GHz @ 1.323v I'd imagine I'd be somewhere around 1.34-1.35v for 4.7GHz, 1.37-1.38 for 4.8 and 1.4 for 4.9, maybe 1.42-1.45v for 5GHz

1 - 8 of 8 Posts