Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, as Some know.. I started folding 5 days ago, with 1 260 and 1 8800gt working hard, already 1,212 place!

Anways, seeing some threads, How do I get my CPU a higher PPD? Right now I only get 291PPD for the CPU, and close to 7.5kPPD with the 260.

When I see people get like 2k PPD with their CPU, why mine low? I'm I not using the right program?

Thanks! cheers

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by waverider599 View Post
They are using the SMP client.
SMP..Hm.. Whats the difference, between the stock [email protected] CPU and SMP? What I need to do, to get this SMP?

edit; nvm u updated it.. let me do a quickread

eidt2; wow, thats very advanced, maybe ill print that and read it tomorrow.

Hm, thank you

·
Registered
862 Posts
the stock [email protected] client doesn't use all cores...if you want to run SMP it utilizes all cores.

personally on a dual core just run what you have its not worth the hassle and full usage of cores to get a few more pts.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by maddux View Post
the stock [email protected] client doesn't use all cores...if you want to run SMP it utilizes all cores.

personally on a dual core just run what you have its not worth the hassle and full usage of cores to get a few more pts.
Hm, thanks for the bit of info, reading that guide quickly, seems very confusing at first glance

Once I get my 2nd 260 online, I'm sure it be enough points!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
You would get substantially more than with regular cpu :/ prob 2k a day at least. Especially at those clocks. But 2 260s will get you a lot as well.

·
Premium Member
10,917 Posts
SMP is very benificial as long as you know how to prioritize and divide tasks between cores... I SMP on every dual core I come into contact with
generally adds about 1.5kppd per dual core client to my folding stats
which is great
I suggest looking into it

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Yeah depending one how you set it up I would say you'd net an extra 2000 ppd. My dual does 4000ppd at 4.1 right running native Linux. If you ran a VMWare SMP client you would get better ppd than just the regular Windows SMP client.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FieryCoD
View Post

SMP is part of the high-performance clients, just like the GPU2 client you use for folding with your GTX 260's.

I am using SMP myself with my Q6600, which is racking up 3500PPD.

I wish I got 3500ppd with my Q6600. I have it @ 3.4 and only getting 2500PPD.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
quick question, as Im setting up SMP

it wants to know how much memory to use, im following the guide, on this step

Memory, in MB, to indicate (1013 available) [1013]?

i have 4093 to use, but guide says lower if want to, if use programs that need it.. i just use firefox and xfire mostly when folding, what should I set it to?

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for a double post, but Isn't SMP suppose to run dual cores? Its only working Core 1, at 90% to where I set it, core 2 is just sitting idle..

Shows I'm getting 3.9k PPD off the SMP
and 13k off the 260

Did I set it up right?

Also says deadline is in 10min, my ETA from FahMon is 1hr and 19mins...? I think I did something wrong.. what happens if I dont meet the deadline?

·
Senior Overclocker
5,064 Posts
sry for thread hijack ... but currently im getting 1500ppd on my quad folding 80% at 3.52ghz ... that doesnt seem right ... im folding SMP ... 1760 pt

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kilrbe3
View Post

Sorry for a double post, but Isn't SMP suppose to run dual cores? Its only working Core 1, at 90% to where I set it, core 2 is just sitting idle..

and 13k off the 260

Did I set it up right?

Also says deadline is in 10min, my ETA from FahMon is 1hr and 19mins...? I think I did something wrong.. what happens if I dont meet the deadline?

sounds right use set affinty 2 or prifinnity then look at the core usage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cryptedvick
View Post

sry for thread hijack ... but currently im getting 1500ppd on my quad folding 80% at 3.52ghz ... that doesnt seem right ... im folding SMP ... 1760 pt

somethings not right i get 2900-3100 at 3.5 maybe a bad WU?

·
Premium Member
5,069 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kilrbe3 View Post

and 13k off the 260

Did I set it up right?

did you create a shortcut and put -smp at the end?

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by {core2duo}werd View Post
did you create a shortcut and put -smp at the end?
Guide did not mention this at all.... will do when I get home.

I did set this, -smp -verbosity 9

Think that guide is outdated......hope I didnt screw up too much

edit; set affinty? no clue what that means, sorry.. this guide is bogus

·
Registered
487 Posts
Nope, GPU2 and SMP are totally different clients afaik. You also have the choice to take small or big worklogs. Seeing as I am only home for 6 hrs of the day and on my PC for 2 of that, I take bigger ones, more PPD, longer run times though. If you set it to 100% useage it will use only 1 full core (usually 75% of one and 25% of the other), you will have a full core of your CPU left over for w/e you need to do.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts