Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am looking for the best/highest end AGP card for overclocking? Any suggestions?

I was also looking at an ATI x850xt Platinum Edition, but have heard you can buy a lower card and overclock it to run just as fast.

I also heard the x800 GTO2 was a good one , but cant find it anywhere in AGP.

Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
5,145 Posts
There are no high-end agp cards.
Only the x850xtpe...which isn't high end.

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
The best would be the x850xtpe. I was looking at the same thing yesterday. Although, with sm3 in full swing now, I wouldnt buy an x800/x850 series card. I'd find one of the 6800Ultra Extremes, theyre very close to the x850xtpe if not better, and they have sm3.

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigval

The best would be the x850xtpe. I was looking at the same thing yesterday. Although, with sm3 in full swing now, I wouldnt buy an x800/x850 series card. I'd find one of the 6800Ultra Extremes, theyre very close to the x850xtpe if not better, and they have sm3.

The Ultra Etremes are very rare and cost a fortune nowadays. Best to go with the X850XT/PE, or if youre looking for a bargain, go with the 6800GS AGP and unlock it to a 6800GT, although I am unsure of the success rate on unlocking those cards.

nVidia is also planning to release the 7800GS on AGP, so you could wait for that, if youre willing.

·
Premium Member
5,145 Posts
You're probably better off waiting and upgrading to pci-express. Any agp card will be too slow in six months.

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HrnyGoat

The Ultra Etremes are very rare and cost a fortune nowadays. Best to go with the X850XT/PE, or if youre looking for a bargain, go with the 6800GS AGP and unlock it to a 6800GT, although I am unsure of the success rate on unlocking those cards.

nVidia is also planning to release the 7800GS on AGP, so you could wait for that, if youre willing.

The success rate is 0% lol. The pipes are destroyed from the factory.

I wouldnt buy a card without sm3. Look into the 6800ultras then, they will overclock to ultra extreme and past most of the time.

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
Quote:

I wouldnt buy a card without sm3. Look into the 6800ultras then, they will overclock to ultra extreme and past most of the time.

Ive heard of people unlocking the 6800GS AGP, since it uses an NV40 core, unlike the the 6800GS PCIe.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Quote:

some_idiot2 has reported that his agp 6800 gs unlocked... and Ive seen people reporting complete success with their agp 6800 gs on other oc forums

regardless, I wouldnt recommend a 6800 gs anyway... I wouldnt get less than a 6800 ultra... I dont think the agp cards will be "too slow," its just that they wont be as strong as they were with new games... saying "any" agp card will be too slow in 6 months is just wrong

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall82

Ok he wants gaming not rendering. And PNY has a quatro fx4000 that would pwn that ati.

Woah, that is an expensive one....

Im looking for just a gaming card.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by HrnyGoat

Looks like the 7800gs is released early February. I may just wait for that. Where would this card fall in the rankings of cards (what card does it beat and what card does it not beat)?

·
Registered
897 Posts
I may have gotten the information from a faulty source, but the 7800 GS looks like crap. From what I read, it uses TC technology, same as the 6200 TC, which means it uses RAM along with 64 or 128 MB of dedicated memory. I believe the clock rates weren't very impressive either, but I can't say what they were exactly off the top of my head. Lastly, didn't it only have 4 or 8 pipelines? Again, this may not be from a reputable source, as I don't even recall where I got it, but that's just what I know about the 7800 GS. If you want the very best, go with the 6800GT or the X850XT, one of my friend has those and he likes it very well.

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
You're thinking of the 7300. The 7800GS is pretty much equivilent to a 6800GT/Ultra.

·
Banned
5,423 Posts
Quote:

It looks like the X800XTPE beats the 6800Ultra Extreme in most things once the eye candy is turned on http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2113&p=1

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
The 7800GS won't use TC technology, thats old skool
I don't think nvidia would realease a worse card if they are trying to inprove on their line. I would get a 6800GS, the best bang for your buck period, plus they can unlock with a decent success rate (75% I heard with the older ones, newer ones, ehh..) Heck unless you play games on a 1600x1200 screen, you won't need anything else..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.