Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Senior OCN Member
41,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been a while since my last info thread the reason for this is there has not been much to cover that has not already been

Moving on with background info HighPower also better known as Sirtec both make and sell their own units under their own name HighPower

Now HighPower is not that well known they are better known as Sirtec the OEM that makes units for OCZ and Rosewill among many others

The Rosewill Hive is a Sirtec made unit
It was in 1991 when Sirtec Electronics department was established and in 1996 SIRFA Electronics Co., Ltd established factory in Dongguan, China.

In 2008 High Power Electronic Co. was established and over the years, High Power has developed a broad range of solutions to meet the needs various customer type including element PC users to high-end system builders through its line of OEM and retail products.

In 2010 High Power was "First" in industry to achieve 80Plus 1000 and 1200W "Platinum" certification and in 2009 they were "First" in industry to achieve 80plus 1350, 1200, and 1000W "Gold" certification.

First off we have the semi modular Astro PT series

Alright moving on to the to the fully modular Astro Gold series unfortunately there are no reviews or any info at this point in time sory

Moving on to the fully modular Astro GD (F) seriers these there is more info on

Next one is the Plus Gold series these are only semi modular

Next is the Overclocking Evo series which is a fully modular 80 plus platinum rated series.
Wattage is 750 / 850 / 1050 and 1200 watts

No reviews yet.

Next one is the Astro Lite series which is a smei modular 80 plus gold rated series
Wattage is 550 / 650 and 750 watts.

No reviews yet.

Now to finish this thread off what are my toughts

Lets start with the Astro PT this is a pretty good PSU and there is no excuse not to buy one if you see it on sale

Next is the Astro GD and just wow it has very good voltage regulation ripple is also good its not the lowest ripple ever but its pretty good

Last is my toughts on the Plus Gold

And really i would not say this is a very good PSU sory HighPower but what the hell is going on with that 12v ripple

Voltage regulation is nothing special either

• Rep+
Reactions: ronnin426850

·
Senior OCN Member
41,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Senior OCN Member
41,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Wow those are not bad prices on good psu's. Thanks man!

·
Senior OCN Member
41,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDadditiv View Post

Wow those are not bad prices on good psu's. Thanks man!
It even has a LED light bar on the back that will light up in colors to show you how much load you are putting on it

Something i have never seen on a PSU before

And did i say it is digtal?

·
Premium Member
3,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

One thing i want to say about the HighPower Astro PT

If anyone will ever read this?

The Astro PT its a digtal PSU like the Corsair AX i series

But without the stupid broken control software
Wait, I missed this earlier. Is that right?

Seems like possibly something in the VRMs has some digital IC involved? It still has a traditional APFC controller, LLC resonant controller, and even a normal PWM controller used in the DC-DC. Whatever is actually digitally controlled (for what that's worth, which is not much, really), seems to be much more limited in scope than on the Corsair AXi units.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeaj View Post

Wait, I missed this earlier. Is that right?

Seems like possibly something in the VRMs has some digital IC involved? It still has a traditional APFC controller, LLC resonant controller, and even a normal PWM controller used in the DC-DC. Whatever is actually digitally controlled (for what that's worth, which is not much, really), seems to be much more limited in scope than on the Corsair AXi units.
I am pretty sure i read somewhere its digtal or part digtal but i really cant recall where i read that

I could havde mixed it up with that new Thermaltake series thats digtal

This from techpower up

PSU maker High Power unveiled the Astro PT line of premium PSUs, which as the name might suggest, are 80 Plus Platinum certified. Astro PT is a "smart" PSU, which comes in 600W and 700W capacities, features a single +12V rail design, and a few impressive innovations, such as a WiFi-based connection to your PC, using which it interfaces with a monitoring and fan-control software.

Why WiFi and why not USB, you ask? Because WiFi allows overclockers to use an external device, such as a notebook, to monitor the PSU, so the bench machine the PSU is powering isn't affected by monitoring software. This software lets you monitor the various power domains, and tinker with the unit's fan-curve. The Astro PT also features an in-built power load meter that works like Kill-a-Watt, and measures power consumption at the AC receptacle. The Astro PT also features a digital VRM design, partially modular cabling with flat modular cables, and a 135 mm fan. The PSU supports low-power C-states of the new Core "Haswell" processors.

That could be what they mean by digtal

And sure hope this is not another Corsair Link epic fail

·
Premium Member
16,521 Posts
The Astro PT is not digital. A digital switch mode power supply (DSMPS) replaces the analog PWM controller of a traditional SMPS with an analog-digital converter (ADC) and custom firmware running on a microcontroller (MCU). This can allow for control algorithms to be customized and optimized for a particular design, rather than relying on the catch-all design of most analog controllers. It is also possible to achieve higher precision voltage regulation with a high-end ADC than you can with the voltage dividers needed for analog controllers. It's also easier to calibrate a power supply to tighter voltage tolerances using software than it is to do it with trimpots and the like. Finally, the MCU can usually interface with the device the DSMPS is powering (like a PC) to provide information on power output quality, power draw, and other information.

This is all done at the cost of a higher BOM cost due to the expensive MCU and ADC chips (a DSP may be used; that's a specialized MCU with a built-in high performance ADC), and more costly and complicated R&D, compared to using off-the-shelf analog parts.

The Astro PT, on the other hand, uses industry standard analog controllers and is therefore not a DSMPS. Adding a built-in power meter that can communicate with the PC doesn't make it digital. It makes it a traditional SMPS with a built-in power meter that can communicate with a PC.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tought it was the Astro PT but i must have mixed it up with the Tough Power DSP series

Or is that not digtal either?

·
Premium Member
16,521 Posts
John Gerow claims it isn't, but I haven't investigated the design myself so I can't say at the moment.

·
Old dog, old tricks
9,756 Posts
Is Sirtec ECO II HPC-550-H12S, 550W a good PSU for 60$?

System is Athlon x4 750K @4Ghz, Radeon HD7770, 1xHDD, 1xDVD

My beCool 300W can't handle it in BF4 and Crysis 3.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnin426850 View Post

Is Sirtec ECO II HPC-550-H12S, 550W a good PSU for 60$?

System is Athlon x4 750K @4Ghz, Radeon HD7770, 1xHDD, 1xDVD

My beCool 300W can't handle it in BF4 and Crysis 3.
Never heard of it you sure its a HighPower PSU?

·
Old dog, old tricks
9,756 Posts
Quote:

Never heard of it you sure its a HighPower PSU?
You tell me:

·
Senior OCN Member
41,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Old dog, old tricks
9,756 Posts
Quote:

Now this is strange it is not listed on realhardtechx

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page31233.htm

Maybe its called something else or something

Since i dont know what it is like i wont recommend it

Could be great or could be a turd i have no idea sory
That's ok, mate, my alternatives are Thermaltake Litepower LT-500P or Nox Urano SX 500. Know something about those? I've never heard of Nox Urano before... But I also hadn't heard of Sirtech until tonight
smile.gif

·
Senior OCN Member
41,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

That's ok, mate, my alternatives are Thermaltake Litepower LT-500P or Nox Urano SX 500. Know something about those? I've never heard of Nox Urano before... But I also hadn't heard of Sirtech until tonight
smile.gif
I would not touch those two either

At least the reason for the Litepower is i know its not very good

The Nox Urano SX 500 pretty sure thats a no name

A funny thing i noticed about that HighPower Eco II is it has two 12v rail but only 20 amps on each rail

Why in gods name would you make a 550 watts PSU multi rail makes zero sense with only 20 amps on each rail

Would make it useless with a high end video card as the PSU would shut off when OCP kicks in

·
Old dog, old tricks
9,756 Posts
It has to be one of those 3, mate. I found some good opinions about the Nox in Google... And since you say the TT is crap, I'm leaning towards the Nox...

·
Senior OCN Member
41,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sory to say but all 3 of them are units i would never touch

Cant you find the EVGA 500B the XFX Core Edtion the OCZ ZS or even the Corsair CX?

·
Old dog, old tricks
9,756 Posts
Quote:

Sory to say but all 3 of them are units i would never touch

Cant you find the EVGA 500B the XFX Core Edtion the OCZ ZS or even the Corsair CX?
Only a Corsair CP 550W, but it's 40% more expensive. Any info about CWT (I think that's a manufacturer, no?), reputation maybe?

·
Senior OCN Member
41,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Only a Corsair CP 550W, but it's 40% more expensive. Any info about CWT (I think that's a manufacturer, no?), reputation maybe?
CP???

CWT is like every other major OEM they can make good stuff but they sure can make bad stuff as well

Depends on what they asked to make for the brand in question

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.