Overclock.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have a hijacked Steam account before? I got hijacked on Tuesday by a movie file that ended in .exe and I was a dumb*** and opened it anyways knowing better. I submitted to Steam support on Wednesday and haven't received a reply yet. How long am I looking at to get my account back? I don't really have a bad opinion of Steam it is just crappy that I have to wait till it gets fixed to play games that I own.

·
Premium Member
4,011 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tool98 View Post
Anyone here have a hijacked Steam account before? I got hijacked on Tuesday by a movie file that ended in .exe and I was a dumb*** and opened it anyways knowing better. I submitted to Steam support on Wednesday and haven't received a reply yet. How long am I looking at to get my account back? I don't really have a bad opinion of Steam it is just crappy that I have to wait till it gets fixed to play games that I own.
Caught up in the heat of the moment, eh?

Not sure if they respond on weekends, but it takes a few days then you just provide them with proof of ownership (CD keys do the trick). Of course, things are further complicated if the guy gets your account VAC banned.

·
Premium Member
8,017 Posts
My real question is why would you open a movie file that ended in .exe?

Also, I was wondering what exactly happened when you open it.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Liability View Post
Caught up in the heat of the moment, eh?

Not sure if they respond on weekends, but it takes a few days then you just provide them with proof of ownership (CD keys do the trick). Of course, things are further complicated if the guy gets your account VAC banned.
This is great advise.
I would also try calling them on Monday because I found that talking with someone is person is always more effective than email, just because of the number of them they get each day.

Good luck getting your account back!
~Gray~

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Must... compromise...computer... safety...for.. this...adult...video!!!

Some members here have had their steam hijacked and I am pretty sure they got it back.
Steam is usually pretty good. If you can prove you own it I am sure they will help you get it back. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxicrimsonixx
View Post

My real question is why would you open a movie file that ended in .exe?

Seriously. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER open .exe files that you're unsure about. You just don't do it. There are a handful of file extensions for video files, if the file doesn't end in one of those, its not a video. Anything with an .exe extension is an executable that will run some type of code. If any file ending in exe claims to be a some type of media file then chances are its most likely malicious.

Anyways, where did the .exe file come from? If I were you I'd either run a crapload of antivirus software or maybe even reformat cause now that you've opened that you have a virus or trojan or something, and if it got your Steam password than its most likely gonna get all your other passwords too. I hope you can get all your stuff back but before getting Steam to change your password for ya I'd make sure that trojan is totally gone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, I know I shouldn't of opened it. It wasn't one of my best judgement calls. I do know what the normal video file extensions are but I still opened it anyways.

I have done full system scans and checked all my start-up items and all my processes running are fine. I still might reformat anyways.

When I opened the file it launched Steam and I didn't think anything of it. The next day when I wanted to play TF2 It would not let me log on to Steam.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tool98 View Post
Yea, I know I shouldn't of opened it. It wasn't one of my best judgement calls. I do know what the normal video file extensions are but I still opened it anyways.

I have done full system scans and checked all my start-up items and all my processes running are fine. I still might reformat anyways.

When I opened the file it launched Steam and I didn't think anything of it. The next day when I wanted to play TF2 It would not let me log on to Steam.
Cant you just use the retrieve lost account feature. It will ask you what email you used to sign up with. Dude who hijacked probably just changed your password.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My steam acc got hijacked last summer :S
It took about a week to guys at Steam support to answer and reset password.
I provided them with a digital photo of my CD-key and date when I had noticed the account had been hijacked.
VAC ban will not be removed if the hijacker has been cheating on your account, though..
I wasn't lucky because the hijacker was cheating.. So few weeks later account get VAC banned :<

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sukach View Post
Cant you just use the retrieve lost account feature. It will ask you what email you used to sign up with. Dude who hijacked probably just changed your password.
Did that, they must of changed the email also.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sparklin View Post
My steam acc got hijacked last summer :S
It took about a week to guys at Steam support to answer and reset password.
I provided them with a digital photo of my CD-key and date when I had noticed the account had been hijacked.
VAC ban will not be removed if the hijacker has been cheating on your account, though..
I wasn't lucky because the hijacker was cheating.. So few weeks later account get VAC banned :<
What happens when you get VAC banned? So I can know what to expect.

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
Another score for DRM!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tool98
View Post

What happens when you get VAC banned? So I can know what to expect.

VAC bans are completely irreversible regardless of who cheats on your account and you will not be able to play on VAC secure servers; other than that, nothing else.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tool98
View Post

Anyone here have a hijacked Steam account before?

Can't even get into my Steam account because an update reset all the saved passwords. Wrote Steam for help, after I told them I'm tired of not being able to even get a password reset despite the billing info and all hasn't changed. Went back to D2D and never looked behind.

BTW, they finally answered my email -- 3 months later. Steam's loss, not mine.

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
I'm soo glad I never bothered with steam.

I have always boycotted all forms of drm. And never been sorry I did.

·
Premium Member
6,174 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by noobpower2
View Post

almost all steam account hackers try to get the account banned

What a thrill ride that must be for them, doing that all day and night.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, just in case anyone gets hijacked, I have my account back in 3 days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGrayNobleman
View Post

This is great advise.
I would also try calling them on Monday because I found that talking with someone is person is always more effective than email, just because of the number of them they get each day.

Good luck getting your account back!
~Gray~

As far as calling, I was going to do that but I could not find any number for Steam Support. I'm sure they want it that way.

As for a VAC ban, it say's my account is in good standing. But it sounds like that could change according to Sparklin.

I have since reformatted and won't be opening any .exe movie files.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts