Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as title says, rim is bent, was really wobbly driving, fixed it at school by putting my spair rim on, exact same type, and put back on the same tire.

balanced the tire perfectly put it back on, however improved i think i still feel a wobble....

is it all in my head? or could i have bent something further back?

i was going 30km/h or 18mph tops and drifted into the curb. when i took the wheel off i examined the suspension components and axle and as far as i could tell there was no bends or cracks....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFB View Post
Front wheels? Check your alignment.
This... you most likely set off your alignment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
If the rim is bent, you may still feel a wobble and you may not be able to see the bend yourself. If you have alloy wheels, you will need a new one. You can't fix them. If it's a steel rim, usually they can be bent back out at an alignment shop.

You should probably go to an alignment shop anyway. They can see if you have knocked or bent something buy looking at your alignment specs. EX: On a solid axle, if the camber is off, you either have bad ball joints or a bent C, and both require much more work then a simple alignment. If castor is off, your control arms are bent, and if toe is off, your tie rod is bent or was knocked out of alignment.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,786 Posts
Yup my mate has a video actually (he is pretty much an idiot with cars) of him drifting straight into a curb. Bent the tie rod and had to have it replaced, luckily his alloy survived.

May I ask how this happened?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,534 Posts
Yeah you're likely not going to see bent suspension pieces. Since its in the rear there isn't as much stuff to bend but you still should take it to a shop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dronac View Post
If the rim is bent, you may still feel a wobble and you may not be able to see the bend yourself. If you have alloy wheels, you will need a new one. You can't fix them. If it's a steel rim, usually they can be bent back out at an alignment shop.

You should probably go to an alignment shop anyway. They can see if you have knocked or bent something buy looking at your alignment specs. EX: On a solid axle, if the camber is off, you either have bad ball joints or a bent C, and both require much more work then a simple alignment. If castor is off, your control arms are bent, and if toe is off, your tie rod is bent or was knocked out of alignment.
I have the spair rim on there, as far as i know it should not be bent at all.. nor does it look bent.

on monday maybe ill bring it into the shop at school again and have the teacher look at the alignment.

The front end hasnt been touched as far as visuals the front looks great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IcedEarth View Post
Yup my mate has a video actually (he is pretty much an idiot with cars) of him drifting straight into a curb. Bent the tie rod and had to have it replaced, luckily his alloy survived.

May I ask how this happened?
was purposely trying to drift, and i can usually handle the car pretty well in the circumstances, but had allot of extra weight in the rear, and could quite handle it and boom right into the curb.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,786 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zelix View Post
was purposely trying to drift, and i can usually handle the car pretty well in the circumstances, but had allot of extra weight in the rear, and could quite handle it and boom right into the curb.
Next time save it for an empty car park


I hope it's just the rim.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #15


here is the spair rim with the old tire mounted on the rear axle

^^ concrete dust is the whitish stuff on the tire, tire doesnt look in to bad of shape tbh.

spair tire on bent rim thats now on my tire carrier on back.



grinded on the inner chrome part of the rim, can see it grinded and bent the top part of the rim



and here is a picture of just behind the wheel, best i could get, and holy crap this picture makes it look incredibly rusted, but its much better condition in real life. (mostly just dirt actually from when i went mudding a few weeks back)


looks fine to me, straight etc.

any input?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,591 Posts
Sorry, when you said alloy, I thought we were talking cool racing alloys... not hick bling
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,786 Posts
Jesus, I thought you were talking about low profile tires on an alloy.

How big was the damn curb!? It must have been bloody massive to hit that alloy.

Also, judging by the size of the damn tire you may just have deformed the tire wall. Which is entirely possible. This is why you may still be feeling a slight wobble, try the spare tire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by IcedEarth View Post
Jesus, I thought you were talking about low profile tires on an alloy.

How big was the damn curb!? It must have been bloody massive to hit that alloy.

Also, judging by the size of the damn tire you may just have deformed the tire wall. Which is entirely possible. This is why you may still be feeling a slight wobble, try the spare tire.
haha i never said alloy in any of my posts >.>

i think my rims are steel anyhow, chrome plated maybe, because alloy usually cracks before it bends i thought?

tire may be deformed, wouldn't that cause off balance on the balancing machine though? when we balanced it the machine said it was perfect.

EDIT: lol if im not lazy in a bit i may take a walk to the end of the street where this mishap occured, and take a pic for you.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,534 Posts
Again, you're not going to necessarily be able to see bent suspension components just by looking at them. Especially when its all still assembled.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top