Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Excel Guru
12,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When this happened, I was extremely puzzled. I was playing HL2 on maximum graphics, which is entirely possible on my system while still obtaining 30+ fps, and all of the sudden I start to get periodic lag. I looked at my performance monitor on my keyboard and noted that whenever the lag happened, my CPU usage was not at 100%, but actually under 5%! (Usually during gameplay, I get usage of a little over 50%.)

After several lag incidents, I got a message from the ATI CCC that the Command Line Interface (CLI) failed, so I was not able to load up CCC and determine what my GPU temperature was (yes, my drivers are up to date). I also notice that my CPU usage drops drastically when loading the next level in HL2 as well, almost like my computer isn't loading it, so I am curious if that helps you all in helping me diagnos the issue.

I know it is not that my CPU is overheating because I have a lapped Tuniq Tower 120 on it, and CPU usage goes to 100% when it overheats, not 5% (my load temps are about 38 degrees C). Thus, I believe it is that my graphics card is overheating. I do not understand why, though, as I have beaten F.E.A.R. on maximum graphics with no problems at all with overheating. So, I am writing this thread in hopes of getting ideas from you all, based upon the following questions:

- Is HL2 more intensive than F.E.A.R. as far as a graphics card is concerned?

- Assuming my graphics card is actually overheating, what options do I have that do not involve replacing the heatsink altogether? I would prefer not to have to use something such as with a Zalman VF900, so I was wondering if there are any PCI slot coolers or other options that would work well in lowering the graphics card temperature 5 degrees C or so.

- If it is not my graphics card that is overheating, then ***?! What does the CLI failure mean?

·
Premium Member
10,490 Posts
You definitely need a driver reinstall. Make sure you use driver cleaner and follow the instructions they include thoroughly.

If that doesn't cure you then you can always find a way to strap a 120mm fan beneath your graphics card, that will improve the temps bucket loads. Also your CPU not being taxed while loading a level? Don't worry about it, it's really the harddrive that's doing all the work there, CPU usage with harddrives at full tilt is barely above 5% most of the time.

·
Excel Guru
12,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, thanks for the link. Any recommendations on slot coolers that would help reduce temperatures? That would allow for a more stable overclock at least!

·
Excel Guru
12,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just my luck! Now the Microsoft .NET framework crap hangs up during installation and I can't get it to finish! It always stops on the following step:

Registering ASP.NET
Executing: C:\\WINDOWS\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v2.0.50727\ \aspnet_regiis.exe -iru

Any clue on *** is going on?

·
Premium Member
5,145 Posts
Defrag your hard drive. Slow loading textures files can result in performance hit as well, as specially HL2 files are in a chunk GCF files, can be very fragmented over time

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
To me this sounds like a thermal throttling, cool & quietesque problems.

In your bios, what do you have enabled as far as optimizing CPU. Becuase if you've got that thermal throttling stuff on you should turn it off. It sounds like your Mobo is limiting the power of the cpu for temperature's sake.

·
Excel Guru
12,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lightsource, my load temperature is 40 degrees C. Why would the CPU throtelling option limit it at such a low temperature?

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stargate125645

Lightsource, my load temperature is 40 degrees C. Why would the CPU throtelling option limit it at such a low temperature?

I'm not sure...

Just a guess.

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
Quote:

I think it is. HL2 and the source engine in general offload a lot of CPU work onto the GPU.

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Quote:

Hell No

·
Excel Guru
12,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it! I reinstalled the ATI drivers and it worked find, barring one incident in which it failed to load a level. But, I eventually beat HL2, was disappointed at the lack-luster ending, and just now reformatted because there were other issues such as my computer not booting until the fifth try, etc.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ouch, always sorry to hear of fellow peeps having PC problems. Definitely fresh install time.

HL2 vs. F.E.A.R. - IMO the latter is far more likely likely to pull your PCs pants down.

RE: the ending, I thought it was pretty good, especially sitting there with headphones on while the closing tune pumps out over the credits. The ending is better if you load up Episode One straight after

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
F.E.A.R. is above HL2 with graphics, but when Episode 2 comes out it has new features on the graphics part, i think it would probably be better and intenser then F.E.A.R. then.... (wasn't it coming out with DX10 or HD ?)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blowie

...when Episode 2 comes out it has new features on the graphics part

Do you have any links to read mate? What new features are going to be added? Sounds interesting

1 - 20 of 23 Posts