Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there.

I just installed HL2 on my computer at school, but I have a problem. I cannot autheticate on Steam because the school's so uptight about the network that it just doesn't go.

Is there a way to do the authentication? Or am I screwed?

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KillerFry

Hey there.

I just installed HL2 on my computer at school, but I have a problem. I cannot autheticate on Steam because the school's so uptight about the network that it just doesn't go.

Is there a way to do the authentication? Or am I screwed?

I'm sorry to say..... You're screwed. Unless there's a hack for no steam validation... I had one for CS1.6 with no steam.

Google, you should come up with something.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sent them this email:

================
Hello.

I am a very dissapointed costumer. First of all, I bought your Collector's Edition at Best Buy for $79.99. Let me tell you something, I alsow bought the World of WarCraft Collector's Edition that Blizzard offers for the same price. It comes with a plastic box that mimics a big book with inscriptions on it, very very fancy. Inside, the box has a cover that tries to simulate fur, it includes a map of the game world, a DVD version of the game as well as the CD version and the soundtrack, a collector's edition manual, a DVD including the making of the game and a hardcover book with the art of the game. All in all, it is a very good deal.

In contrast, your "Collector's Edition" is simply a bigger carton box just as any other game, with the DVD jewel case thrown in, a quickstart sheet of paper, a little "walkthrough" and the shirt. Let me tell you, it's the worst $79.99 I've wasted in a "Collector's Edition." I felt robbed of my money. I suggest that if you are intending to sell Collector's Edition, you should make the costumers really feel they're getting something extra that other games do not offer, just look at Blizzard's WarCraft 3 Collector's Edition and World of WarCraft Collector's Edition, which I must say really made me feel it was worth every damn penny and even more.

To add insult to injury, now I can't play the game. My computer is located within the school campus since I live in the residences. As I imagine you all know, Universities generally have most traffic somewhat restricted. This means that after I "install" the game, I cannot connect to Steam to authenticate the game. As far as I've seen on your site, the only "solution" you can offer is for me to move my computer somewhere with a network connection and authenticate there, and then set it to remember my user so it works "offline." Well, I can't do that since I'm using a desktop, and I'm in no position to carry my computer somewhere else just to do that. Where it a small form factor machine, I probably wouldn't mind much. But I have a full machine with many things inside, as well as a watercooling system that I must disconnect in order to carry it; I guess you can imagine how much I do not like the idea of having to disconnect, connect, then disconnect again and connect the watercooling inside the machine increasing each time the possibility of a water spill.

Acording to some people, I can install the game in a laptop somewhere else, authenticate there and then copy everything under the steamapps folder to my desktop machine. Let me ask you this: Will you provideme the laptop to do this please?

Oh yeah, and about your costumer support, where is the Contact link in your SteamPowered page? If you have it, let me tell you it is well hidden. Talk about costumer support.

I guess people pay to be able to play their games. Not only play them, but to feel good about their purchase. I feel cheated both in every way: the presentation was not worth my 80 bucks, I cannot play the game which means I paid 80 dollars for a pretty fancy cupholder and don't get me started on your "costumer support."

Thanks for your time. I will go back to playing Doom 3, at least I can play something that was well worth my money.

Sincerely,
Jorge Sanchez
=========================

If they consider themselves a serious company, they should provide some answers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL!!!

I just re-read my e-mail. I made the greatest typo ever!!!

"I'm a very dissapointed costumer"

HAHAHAHA! I have very bad costumes. That's why I got so little candy on Halloween, hahahahaha! The worst part is that it is a recurrent typo all over the email! Hahahaha.

Oh well, brings tears to my eyes just by thinking about it!

I'm from Mexico, so even though I consider my english to be very good, I still make my typos now and then.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
You could also just hook up to the phone line (no firewall, or restrictions), borrow someone's aol account for a sec and validate like that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, someone over at the Steam forums mentioned that. Still I have to ask if I can do so because the telephones have to go through a... commuter...? So I have to put some personal codes before the call can pass through. But I guess it can work, I will ask tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
You just get their account name and user password and you should be able to set up dial up on your computer to validate.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
i am having prolem that the NPC are talking to me then they just stop and look at me and i cant contuie in the game becase of this . i did download a cracked copy 1st and it done this.. so i bought the retail copy a week later it does the same thing to ahhHHHHHHHHH!!! any 1 got any ideas????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts