Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering..I am planning to build a new pc within a month or 2.

Should I purchase a Cedar Mill being its extremly fast or just go buy a presler?

I want it to be able to eat away games in Vista and multitask in vista very well. For Vista, It'll also have a 2 10,000 RPM SATA hds, 2 gigs of DDR 677 RAM ( eventually sometime throw in 4 gigs when i get the money), a 975X Chipset, and probably a x1900XT.

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
For that kind of money I would await the Conroe. There is no way I will make any move until then.

I currently run an ASUS P5AD2-E Premium 630 3.0GHz @ 4.02GHz on my Intel machine and will make no move until I see and test the Conroe. You still have a decent machine and are working with Netburst. The Cedar Mill is still Netburst.

R

·
I remember when......
3,812 Posts
I gotta agree.....wait for Conroe. It's due out in July, prices will be about the same as Preslers now.........

I bought my Presler about 2 months ago when i thought Conroe was still due out near the end of the year, then they moved it up to July on me.......Not that I regrest my purchase, Presler's are great.......but if you're already looking at building in April........it's best just to wait for Conroe........

·
Registered
269 Posts
If you wanna build the fastest and most powerful machine that you can for the money go with the a Conroe processor and scratch the X1900, wait for the new DirectX 10 gpu's to come out if you're planning your build around Vista.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper

I gotta agree.....wait for Conroe. It's due out in July, prices will be about the same as Preslers now.........

I bought my Presler about 2 months ago when i thought Conroe was still due out near the end of the year, then they moved it up to July on me.......Not that I regrest my purchase, Presler's are great.......but if you're already looking at building in April........it's best just to wait for Conroe........

Conroe won't be here in July, it'll be released in the fall.

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 6600Gt1047

What makes Conroe so much better?

Conroe is the first new architecture since Intel created the Pentium 4 (Netburst) architecture. It is significant in that it follows an entirely new method of data translation than the Pentium 4. I am not saying it is so much better as I don't know yet if it is, however I will not purchase a new Netburst when there is a new architecture around the corner just to find that I bought old technology that has been easily superceded by the new technology.

On March 7 2006, during the Spring IDF 2006, we are going to finally find out a more full trademark for the upcoming Conroe processors.

That being said, here is what we deduce:

Power requirements are significanly lower with Conroe. With Conroe, the reduction will be from about 95W for a fast Pentium 4, to ~65W with a drastically enhanced Performance per Watt (PPW) This will make a huge difference with dual/quad core architectures both at the workstation and server level.

Research:

http://tinyurl.com/m4udr

Conroe, will support SSE4 instructions, which will be optimized for work with video and graphics.

There is a lot of rumor out right now but this is what is thought to be reality and the rest will soon be forthcoming. I await this forthcoming reality to base a decision on whether to upgrade or not. I would like to be able to have a single machine. One for both gaming and productivity and at the moment (since I appreciate both AMD and Intel's abilities for their given arena) I have two machines.

R

·
I remember when......
3,812 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472
Conroe won't be here in July, it'll be released in the fall.

All reports state it will be sold starting Q3, that is July-Sept. I can't seem to find it now, but last month I saw a report that specifically stated July as the first sale time.

I did find this which is close to what I saw before....the fact that they delayed the 965 chipset which is the chipset custom made for the Conroe.......originally the Conroe was a Q4 release and now it's listed as a Q3...........

The Register

I am sure the timetable will be firmed up more in the next month, but I would be suprised if Conroe was delayed until the end of Q3 almost Q4.

·
Registered
363 Posts
NO they are not the same ,Core duo is ment for mobile use it is sckt 478 and
has 667mhz fsb instead of 1066mhz of the conroe wich is sckt 775 and it will do 12 operations per clock (unsure about the last one )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts