Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K, well everyone has read about "oil cooling" about a million times, and I know it's an old subject. Anyway, I have an old mini-fridge/freezer to mess around with. Is there anything I could do with this to maybe cool the oil down? I can take it apart, but I don't really know a whole lot about refridgeration. What about keeping the cd, hdd, psu outside the fridge, and putting the rest of the pc which would be submerged in oil right into the fridge or freezer. The oil would prevent condensation from reaching the components, would it not? Maybe not, if moisture got into the oil it would sink to the bottom where the mobo and all would be sitting. Maybe seal the computer case completly, around wires and all. I don't know. Just bored and thinking about some ghetto ways to super chill my rig.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the idea, it's looks like I'll do something quite similiar. Another idea I had is the take the actual metal peice (don't know what it's called) that does the cooling in this older mini-fridge I have and attach it inside a reservoir for the oil. Then have a pump feeding the cooled oil into the pc case. We'll see what happens. The plus side of that is that I can dispose of the actual fridge case, and just use the guts.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
I did the oil thing with an old P3. The oil gets real nasty real fast. You need to seal the container holding the oil and purge all air from it. Plus, the computers temps were not amazing. Same as a watercooling setup.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
can someone (without a large debate) give me some idea's for a practical (meaning fairly cheap, attractive, DIELECTRIC, and hopefully something which will not break down as fast as organic cooking oil) oil type substance to use in such a setup. What about baby oil? I don't know. Oh, and, since there will be a reservoir, I will attempt to put a "switch" that will replace the warm case oil with the oil in the reservoir (which would be chilled to around 7 degrees celsius I'm guessing) on the fly. Does anyone get what I mean? So your playing some Call of Duty, your hardware eventually (how long?) warms up the oil inside the case. Well, flip the switch, have oil pumped out of case and into reservoir (to be cooled) while chilled reservoir oil is pumped into the case. This way would make it very easy to replace any degraded oil by simple means of a plug in the bottom of the reservoir that you could just pull and have all the oil run out, so you can add the new. Again, just looking for some critisism really guys, so don't be shy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
also, just to add, I heard that a mini fridge "?element?" (that's what I'll call it, I'm sure you all know what I mean) could not compete with the heat all the hardware will put out, so I figured the switch idea would fix such a problem as I only game for a max of 2 hours at a time, and i mean max.

·
Registered
51 Posts
my test subject was submerged in transmission fluid .its kinda funny to think these oil cooled machines need an oil change once in awhile lol but the trans fluid didnt break down or get gummy. worked very well

·
Registered
240 Posts
Ive read that mineral oil works well. There are also coolents intended for immersion-cooling electronics that should work perfectly, but those are very expensive.

Immersion cooling has only one use - extreme overclockers. When you have to cool CPU, GPU, northbridge, southbridge, memory, regulators, and board-designers-know how many other chips its perhaps easier than attaching all those tiny non-standard heatsinks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.