Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK im thinking about going completely fanless!

I had this nutty idea (Im sure my wife will have a fit if she knew what I was thinking) to just stick the entire radiator in a bucket of water.

Ok thats the basic premise.

I have a autotop off system I used to use with a reef tank (that I no longer keep) so I could easily replace the water automatically when it evaps.

I MIGHT have to run a fan over the bucket (most likely it wont be a bucket, but something with alot of surface area.) and keep it in a seperate room. Keeping the noise away from me.

Has anyone done something similar ? Could I expect lower temps than I do with fans on the radiator?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Go with normal watercooling and a silent case w/ a lot of noise dampening materials

·
Opinion8r
1,129 Posts
the problem is not that the water would evaporate. It would be that the water in the tank would eventually reach the same temp as the water in the radiator.

What kind of fans are you running now?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroNarcosis;12996440
the problem is not that the water would evaporate. It would be that the water in the tank would eventually reach the same temp as the water in the radiator.

What kind of fans are you running now?
Actualy water evaporation would be whats keeping the water temp down, so my goal would be to encourage evaporation by having a large surface area and possibly running a fan over the surface of the water. I figure I could evaporate a good 8 gallons a day if I used one of those kiddy pools.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Low RPM fans with a Low RPM radiator. My near-silent A/C in my house is louder than my build and my case sits 6 inches from me.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by beers;12996447
Just go to submersion.
Or evaporative cooling if you want a project.
Submersion... as in submersing the radiator in the water? If so , then yes thats my plan.

As for evaporative cooling , Ive seen some pretty well laid out plans for that, but again it would involve sumberging the radiator, right?

·
Opinion8r
1,129 Posts
Have you ever tried GTs?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmanvmi;12996526
Low RPM fans with a Low RPM radiator. My near-silent A/C in my house is louder than my build and my case sits 6 inches from me.
Thats an option, but I dont think it would cool my pc enough. Right now I have

cpu, mobo and 3x gtx280s in the loop. As you can imagine it requires alot of fan power. I have some pretty powerful fans as well, 8 of them. But when I run them at 100% its as loud as the vacuum cleaner.

·
Opinion8r
1,129 Posts
you could always add another radiator with low RPM fans to balance the heat if it does become an issue, I assume you have room in that big case.

Do you use a controller on all of your fans?

GTs

Gentle Typhoons

very quiet fans with great Static Pressure and CFM to db Ratio.

ehume is also very picky about sound

GT Club

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by beers;12996563
Submersion to the effect of the 'oil cooled pc' and such where all components are submerged.
Ow.. not looking for that large a project. Sounds like you would have to coat everthing with silicone?

Im guessing that would do in the waranty hehe.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroNarcosis;12996620
you could always add another radiator, I assume you have room in that big case.

With the low RPM fans, do you use a controller on all of your fans?

GTs

Gentle Typhoons

very quiet fans with great Static Pressure and CFM to db Ratio.
Yup I have a controller for all 8, 2 per knob. So I manage noise level via controller, however if theyre not spinning fast enough temps climb.

My q9650 is hitting 60+ at load and high 30s on idle. Thats pretty high.

As far as buying another radiator I can do that, but theres not alot of room there. I would have to take out the roof fan probably and put a small radiator there. Again that involves buying more stuff .

Im looking at ways to make the water evaporate even more. I would place the pool outside, under the deck (so it will always be in shadow).

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
GT's will solve your problem, they are very quiet, I have 2 on my rad and at 1850rpm I dont even know I have em on...

·
Stealin Yer Sammich!
9,882 Posts
Actually he was talking about doing something like THIS

·
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁
8,395 Posts
480 + 360 rad with push/pull very quiet fans?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts