Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

While Installing my new 2080 Ti, the first screw started to reach a point where I can tighten it a little bit before it turns lose again. Is that a safety issue or shouldn't I worry that the first screw doesn't tighten as tight anymore?

Are there solutions to get it right again?

·
Senior OCN Member
39,421 Posts
Did you try another screw? if not try that and if there is no problem with the second screw throw the first one away and use the second one

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
To which screw are you referring exactly?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you try another screw? if not try that and if there is no problem with the second screw throw the first one away and use the second one
Yeah, it is the winding if the hole which is not allowing the screw to tighten up again, it tightens up a little bit and then when you turn it further it gets loose again, typcial wear problem.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Yeah, it is the winding if the hole which is not allowing the screw to tighten up again, it tightens up a little bit and then when you turn it further it gets loose again, typcial wear problem.
As long as it's solidly anchored to the case you have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Sounds like you stripped your case's screw 'hole.' I wouldn't worry too much about only using one screw (unless you move/abuse your computer a lot); no issues using only one with my 1080 TI Gaming X Trio (I assume it is similar in size/weight to the 2080 Ti Trio). If you are worried about it, you could look for an even larger (diameter, not length) screw (don't over tighten it or you'll have the same issue again).

Just out of curiosity, what case is this?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like you stripped your case's screw 'hole.' I wouldn't worry too much about only using one screw (unless you move/abuse your computer a lot); no issues using only one with my 1080 TI Gaming X Trio (I assume it is similar in size/weight to the 2080 Ti Trio). If you are worried about it, you could look for an even larger (diameter, not length) screw (don't over tighten it or you'll have the same issue again).

Just out of curiosity, what case is this?
Enthoo Evolve at****

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I don't know about only one screw, X Trio is a very heavy card and if that one screw were to fail your PCIE is holding all that weight.

·
Programmer
28,675 Posts
Use a wider screw.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I would grab a generic anti sag kit, it looks like you can mount it on the right side of the card to make it less visible.
Even without using the anti sag kit and if a case screw holding the gpu comes lose, it shouldn't damage the PCI-E slot or the GPU - the card will probably hang on the HDMI/DP plug of the monitor cable against the case.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You stripped one screw or hole. try a different wider screw or a screw that goes through the hole and put a nut on it.
How the **** didn't I think of that XDD Man, I built audio equipment with heavy transformers and I couldn't think of that, thank you so much.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
However, another issue was the sag, I mean, I've had a 1080 Ti before from MSI, Gaming X but this takes the cake. The provided holding arm does NOTHING.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I can tell you it does work but has a catch - place the PC horizontaly, then make sure the bracket firmly touches the card and fasten the bracket.
You can also push the bracket against the card so it moves a bit upwards and then fasten the bracket and the card.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts