Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am looking to build a low-power home server that will be used to capture tv on a tuner card, stream 1080p high-bit rate MKV movies, and Uncompressed FLAC audio across the network. I have a Areca 1880xi-12 and am working on populating the hard drive cages.. just at this point they're all so over priced.

Here are the components for the rest of the machine that I am considering:

SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold

SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O

Intel Core i3-2100T

Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) KVR1333D3E9SK2

Please post suggestions for better parts or additions to the parts on this list you think I might need and am not considering.

Thanks all!!!
thumb.gif

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabytes View Post

Looks good to me.
What type of case are you planning on using?
I am using a lian li pc80 with three iStarUSA SAS/SATA cages. Given how big everything is... it sure generates little noise. I have this in a small closet and when the door is shut it is like it isn't even there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evermooingcow View Post

Just FYI the i3-2100 won't use ECC.
Edit: to clarify the CPU will still work with the board.
I believe you're wrong. They aren't going to change the core memory controller physically for consumer vs server product. It all comes down to micro code. AMD allows ECC on just about everything, Intel only does for Xeon and the lower end i3 processors (recently). You just need the C202, C204, or C206 chipset.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinchell View Post

I am using a lian li pc80 with three iStarUSA SAS/SATA cages. Given how big everything is... it sure generates little noise. I have this in a small closet and when the door is shut it is like it isn't even there.
Did you already buy the cages? You may want to consider a cheaper, less feature friendly option. How often do you really think you're going to remove drives? I have this particular iStar USA HD cage and it works wonders. I know it's not as cool, but it gets the job done. Even works with the no screw mounting sled system in my case.

Not sure what your income level is, but in my job, I rotate tapes out of our tape library much more frequently than bad hard drives. In fact I've worked there almost a year, and just replaced my 1st bad one reported in a Raid 1. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Quote:

I believe you're wrong. They aren't going to change the core memory controller physically for consumer vs server product. It all comes down to micro code. AMD allows ECC on just about everything, Intel only does for Xeon and the lower end i3 processors (recently). You just need the C202, C204, or C206 chipset.
According to ark the 2100T does not support ECC.
http://ark.intel.com/compare/52269,53423

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by herkalurk View Post

Did you already buy the cages? You may want to consider a cheaper, less feature friendly option. How often do you really think you're going to remove drives? I have this particular iStar USA HD cage and it works wonders. I know it's not as cool, but it gets the job done. Even works with the no screw mounting sled system in my case.
Not sure what your income level is, but in my job, I rotate tapes out of our tape library much more frequently than bad hard drives. In fact I've worked there almost a year, and just replaced my 1st bad one reported in a Raid 1. Just food for thought.
I wasn't worried about budget for this server. Also, the link you posted was for a 2x5.25" to 3x3.5" whereas the bays I purchased allow another 3.5" drive in the same space. I have an Areca 1880xi-12 so I needed to fit a total of 12 drives in this machine.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Quote:

It doesn't say "No" either... I guess we will know for sure in about a week. If leaving the area blank meant no then the i3-2100T would also not support any pcie ports.
I'd be curious too. I went through a similar build a while back (home server, same board) and perhaps I spent extra on a Xeon that I didn't really need. Then again I guess most would argue that ECC isn't needed for home anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herkalurk View Post

This is the one I use...

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119130

Even cheaper!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.