Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking to revamp my parents internet as they are on OLD school Linkysis routers and they recently had Comcast (ISP) come out and said they should update as their wireless router is a bottle neck. But I also want to set it up so they can print from any computer (Some printers have old com ports) and I want to set up a server so they can save stuff on one computer and access it from any computer in the house.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
If the server is going to be always on, then connect the printer to it and share it with the other computers.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by losttsol View Post

If the server is going to be always on, then connect the printer to it and share it with the other computers.
I was thinking of doing that as well, but they have 3-4 different printers that they use. some are usb and some are com ports.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Connect all of them. You might need an extra PCI card or two in order to have enough ports.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Other thing is setting up Google Cloud Print.
I'm using it myself and it works pretty well. Need a always on machine though which serves the same purpose as sharing the printer on the network.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, so the computer that will host the printers and act as backup is now set. So time to see if the gear needs to be replaced.

The hook ups goes as followed.... From the Modem, it goes to a Netgear Router (RP614v2), then it goes to a Linksys AP WAP54G (V3.1) and Linksys Router WRT54Gs (V5) that just has the printers connected to it. So wireless access is through the Linksys AP.

Here's a picture of their current layout.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Looks simple enough. Just turn off DHCP and NAT on the others, and considering they are probably Networked just add them using the Add device on Windows.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts