Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gurus of HT setup!

I am trying to figure this out but there seems to be missing part in most information I found online so I was wondering if there were any experts that can help me out.

This is my setup.

1. Macbook
2. Desktop PC
3. PS4/Xbox one
4. TV
5. PC Laptop.
6. apple tv 3rd gen =(
7. airport express router.

I currently have a Laptop connected to my tv as HTPC but would like to get rid of it.

The goal is to have a clean setup where devices connected to the TV will be able to stream movies in a media storage device.

I would like to setup something in the living room where it can just store all music/movies. And I would like this be able to accessible by all my computer devices and be able to upload with all the devices as well.

Can anyone help me setting this up? I am ready to buy whats needed to make this happen. Ideally it would be best to stream through ps4 and xbox one. I have also seen tablet being used as a device to shuffle through library of movies via XMBC. Is this the best way?

Thanks for all your help!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Just get a DNLA server for $100 plus the cost of 1-2 HDDs.

You could you use desktop as a server but it will always have to be on for other devices to use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Two ideas for media streaming.

Option 1: Plex

This is what I use. It's on a separate PC that I use as a server but still just a standard desktop. You can set up a Plex Media Server on any PC to stream videos to pretty much any where. With Plex you even use their web streaming service to stream from your server to any pretty much any web connected device, PC, Mac, iOS, Android, for $4 a month. Plex does not directly stream to the AppleTV though, but I think Plex can mirror from iPhones and Macs to the AppleTV with the sharing turned on, you'd have to make sure you have enough bandwidth for this though since it basically doubles the data rate required for streaming. If you aren't an iPhone user you would still need a separate HTPC or Smart TV to stream to a TV.

Option 2: iTunes

I used iTunes for local streaming to my network before I switched to Plex so I know iTunes can stream to the AppleTV and Macs through the home sharing feature. This is severely limited though and not the best option in my opinion because it can only be used for local streaming and requires iTunes account and home sharing to be turned on. iTunes also limits the file formats that you can use, I've found that h.264 or x.264 encoded MP4's work the best.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
501 Posts
Depends what TV you have - i.e. a networked one would do, but you can buy a networked (preferably Gigabit Ethernet if you stream BR files... takes about 300MB/s) BR Player at around $70 (just a guess) to stream to TV whatever Media Folders on your devices you want to share. The main advantage would be ease of setup.

Could be done on PS3/4 or AppleTV, Roku as well.

For me, most convenient is Samsung Smart Hub TV with AllShare because once the devices are on, I can browse and play through the shared media folders straight from TV (or BRPlayer) with the TV remote controller. ... except for some subtitles but I also have a 25ft HDMI cable to my main PC (good for gaming, too).

Others swear on Roku, or AppleTv, SSD attached to router USB port and so on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by morago View Post

yes. prefer not to have a server.
so you want something to be serving files but not a server?

is this just a language barrier where you by "server" understand a rackmountable one or just do not want to have a dedicated machine for this in general?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyk0 View Post

so you want something to be serving files but not a server?

is this just a language barrier where you by "server" understand a rackmountable one or just do not want to have a dedicated machine for this in general?
I wanted a hdd storage device attached to my router, and have my xbox or ps4 or apple tv access it, and not have my computer turned on all the time for file sharing.

Right now I have an extra laptop being used as server but would love to not have a dedicated machine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
i think what your looking for is a router with usb port where in you can plug your harddisk (w/ usb enclosure)
check out asus ac66u or asus n66u
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rock View Post

i think what your looking for is a router with usb port where in you can plug your harddisk (w/ usb enclosure)
check out asus ac66u or asus n66u
Fair warning, USB on those are slow (~10MB/s or ~80Mbps). Fast enough for most content but not if you're streaming full Blu-ray quality rips to multiple devices at the same time.

Personally, I think the low-power, headless x86 server route provides greatest flexibility particularly if you need to stream to multiple types of devices which may require transcoding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rui-no-onna View Post

Fair warning, USB on those are slow (~10MB/s or ~80Mbps). Fast enough for most content but not if you're streaming full Blu-ray quality rips to multiple devices at the same time.

Personally, I think the low-power, headless x86 server route provides greatest flexibility particularly if you need to stream to multiple types of devices which may require transcoding.
the most ive seen out the back of a router (admittedly a few years old now) was about 3.4 - 5megabytes per sec when streaming so only just about enough for 1 blueray but with some overhead and from time to time some stutter. So yea, avoid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rui-no-onna View Post

Fair warning, USB on those are slow (~10MB/s or ~80Mbps). Fast enough for most content but not if you're streaming full Blu-ray quality rips to multiple devices at the same time.

Personally, I think the low-power, headless x86 server route provides greatest flexibility particularly if you need to stream to multiple types of devices which may require transcoding.
@rui please check the request of the thread starter.
i agree with you that it is more flexible and convenient to have a server dedicated for storage or a NAS. but the requirement of the thread starter is the ff:
Quote:
Originally Posted by morago View Post

I wanted a hdd storage device attached to my router, and have my xbox or ps4 or apple tv access it, and not have my computer turned on all the time for file sharing.

Right now I have an extra laptop being used as server but would love to not have a dedicated machine.
this is why i proposed a router with usb port to server the purpose of the thread starter.

cheers
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rock View Post

@rui please check the request of the thread starter.
i agree with you that it is more flexible and convenient to have a server dedicated for storage or a NAS. but the requirement of the thread starter is the ff:
this is why i proposed a router with usb port to server the purpose of the thread starter.
I know the OP's preferences. However, I also think he should be made aware of the downsides to his preferred route. Sure, he can just serve files from the router. However, in case he has files that don't play nice with any of his client devices, he'd have to transcode those on a computer. There's also the issue if he's got multiple clients accessing the HDD at the same time. He can probably forget about having a nice XBMC or Plex interface on the tablet, too.

I guess it's akin to this, if someone asks me what's the best knife to remove/install screws, I'd just tell that person to get a screwdriver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rui-no-onna View Post

I know the OP's preferences. However, I also think he should be made aware of the downsides to his preferred route. Sure, he can just serve files from the router. However, in case he has files that don't play nice with any of his client devices, he'd have to transcode those on a computer. There's also the issue if he's got multiple clients accessing the HDD at the same time. He can probably forget about having a nice XBMC or Plex interface on the tablet, too.

I guess it's akin to this, if someone asks me what's the best knife to remove/install screws, I'd just tell that person to get a screwdriver.
i hope he realize your point. i agree having a dedicated server for specific task would be much better. but the objective of the thread starter is to lessen the use of electricity. yes you can have a low powered server that can server its purpose but the problem is you will use a router to connect all devices (that consume electricity) then set up a server (that consume electricity again)double jeopardy. if he wants to save electricity the router with usb support the immediate needs but have limitations.

my point is if he wants a router with usb then lets give him brands/model that will do task.

in the corporate world, if clients what this product then give him the product that he wants, you can give advice to a much preferred product but at the end of the day, you provide what the clients wants not what you want.

anyways it looks like the OP has already made a decision because he/she is not replying anymore.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top