Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
AMD s939 LVL 99+
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, when I say "direct reflection" I'm not in ANY WAY referring to Bose products with this name. My interest is in the idea, and how I've used it in my setup. I got the idea from Bose 901 speakers Ive seen and heard, and was like WOW.
thumb.gif

I'm interested in other peoples opinion on this...

Plain and simple, I'm a stereo guy (2 channel). I'm not down on all this gimmicky 5.1, 7.1 stuff, having what seems like 30ga. speaker wires running all over the living room, speakers hanging off walls, etc. Its garbage, looks dumb, and what experience Ive had of it in the past, it just doesn't work... No one realizes the speakers should all be aiming certain directions at the audience, at ear level, balanced, blah blah...

ANYWAY...

I'm running a 52" Sony Bravia, and a 5.1 Sony receiver that's only in 2 channel mode (2.1 with active sub), it's all I got right now... HTPC setup, the whole shabang... I've been using the jenky satellite speakers that come with the unit for too long now, but noticed about 6 months back, that when I put them BEHIND the TV, at approx. 45 degrees to the wall behind it, the sound and environment it creates is amazing. I can't say "surround sound" like, but the stereo imaging is very wide and lifelike. A good example was playing the new RE0 and RE1 remakes on PS4 in the past few months, and it literally sounded like zombies walking out in my hallway or out in the kitchen way to the left and right of the TV when it panned. VERY AWESOME! My living room is built for this... lol

I just acquired some good ole Cerwin Vega D1s yesterday (oh yeah) with fresh re-foam / surrounds. I BARELY got them behind the TV, balanced at 45 degrees or so, and its just CRAZY. With the speakers not being in your field of vision, the sound feels like its coming from the imagery on the set, and the actions happening on the set... not from speakers you see beside or around the set. Just WAY more natural feeling. Highs get softened, and lows come through a bit stronger, but some EQ fixes that.

Has anyone ever done a reflect setup? Should I swap polarity, so the reflected sound is in normal phase? Is 45 degrees too much, or should I widen it more, or shorten the gap? I'm going to be doing some experimentation with this now that I have good full range speakers. Just curious of others input.

Some may think this is just the dumbest thing they've read, seen or heard of, but man, it's amazing. Like I said, having the speakers NOT in your field of vision / conscience, makes it feel like the sound is coming from the actions of the image on screen. The Vega's are OBVIOUSLY way better and more full range than the satellites, which just tops it off that much more.

I'll try to add some pics once I get the chance, but really curious what others think about the reflect idea, or any downfalls I'm not thinking of. Like the polarity issue. Technically, the drivers are facing away from the audience, so the sound would be out of phase once it reflects off the wall and back since I have them wired for normal phase.

·
Premium Member
8,233 Posts
If you have only heard 5.1/7.1 HTIB systems using stuff like small crappy satellites and 22awg wire. Then you have never heard a even decent 5.1 system. As it is no gimmick. By far the best way to pretty much watch anything on TV or Movies, it is a massive difference.

Though I get that not everyone has the money for such things, but never a good idea to get sound equipment that comes in a bundle with the amp.

My Polk 5.1 is better than a movie theater, makes watching something like the new starwars movie a blast.

Gotta say I love me some old Cerwin Vega's. Used to use some old Pioneer tower speakers with 12" woofers as my fronts way back in the day, and while it was great. Those old speakers just are not built for TV. Great for music, meh for TV. Mainly because they just are too quiet when people are talking, and becomes way to loud when the action hits. They simply don't handle TV Well, which is why you should think about adding in a center channel. You can still use the big vega's as your fronts, but get a nice big center speakers to deal with all the speech. 3.1 is the way to go for you my friend. As you don't seem to enjoy the idea of speakers being placed behind you or on your wall.

Though I'm in the process of installing a home audio system with speakers placed all over the house. The Polk Ceiling speakers sound great, and would work well in a 5.1 system. I have mine setup for music in the kitchen, they do well with music too.

Personally I think you would have a better setup if you moved the vega's to the far left and right, and used a center. As those old Vega's will not be able to do what a proper center channel speaker will do.

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Center-Channel-Speaker/dp/B0018QROM2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461468990&sr=8-1&keywords=polk+center

http://www.amazon.com/Fluance-XL7C-Performance-Two-way-Channel/dp/B00AQL9B2G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461469031&sr=8-1&keywords=fluance+center

I run Stereo on my office TV, but added in a center channel. Makes a pretty decent difference even in that setup.

http://www.circuitsstream.com/2013/06/build-derived-center-channel-stereo.html

Wired up like that, if you didn't know you could do so. But with a 5.1 amp, it is pointless for you. Plus you get DD and DTS support, for better usage of 3.1. Ran my Living room TV on 3.1 for an entire year, loved it. Worked great.

·
AMD s939 LVL 99+
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DzillaXx View Post

If you have only heard 5.1/7.1 HTIB systems using stuff like small crappy satellites and 22awg wire. Then you have never heard a even decent 5.1 system. As it is no gimmick. By far the best way to pretty much watch anything on TV or Movies, it is a massive difference.

Though I get that not everyone has the money for such things, but never a good idea to get sound equipment that comes in a bundle with the amp.

My Polk 5.1 is better than a movie theater, makes watching something like the new starwars movie a blast.

Gotta say I love me some old Cerwin Vega's. Used to use some old Pioneer tower speakers with 12" woofers as my fronts way back in the day, and while it was great. Those old speakers just are not built for TV. Great for music, meh for TV. Mainly because they just are too quiet when people are talking, and becomes way to loud when the action hits. They simply don't handle TV Well, which is why you should think about adding in a center channel. You can still use the big vega's as your fronts, but get a nice big center speakers to deal with all the speech. 3.1 is the way to go for you my friend. As you don't seem to enjoy the idea of speakers being placed behind you or on your wall.

Though I'm in the process of installing a home audio system with speakers placed all over the house. The Polk Ceiling speakers sound great, and would work well in a 5.1 system. I have mine setup for music in the kitchen, they do well with music too.

Personally I think you would have a better setup if you moved the vega's to the far left and right, and used a center. As those old Vega's will not be able to do what a proper center channel speaker will do.

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Center-Channel-Speaker/dp/B0018QROM2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461468990&sr=8-1&keywords=polk+center

http://www.amazon.com/Fluance-XL7C-Performance-Two-way-Channel/dp/B00AQL9B2G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461469031&sr=8-1&keywords=fluance+center

I run Stereo on my office TV, but added in a center channel. Makes a pretty decent difference even in that setup.

http://www.circuitsstream.com/2013/06/build-derived-center-channel-stereo.html

Wired up like that, if you didn't know you could do so. But with a 5.1 amp, it is pointless for you. Plus you get DD and DTS support, for better usage of 3.1. Ran my Living room TV on 3.1 for an entire year, loved it. Worked great.
Hmm, the 3.1 sounds interesting. TV sounds pretty normal to me, not noticing a dynamic change in speech. Will look into tho as Im curious.

And yeah, systems in a box is my only experience. I can bet a pieced together setup with high end gear, placed right, would sound amazing. I just dont need it and cant afford it.

Edit: I think Im going to emulate a center channel and use the small speakers to try this.

·
AMD s939 LVL 99+
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I decided to recycle a couple of the Sony speakers to emulate a center channel. They are 8ohms each, so I ran two in parallel to adopt a 4ohm load, since the new Vega's are 4ohm each, and I had to flip the 4ohm - 8ohm selector switch on the rear of my unit.

For now, I just have the Sony's facing straight up on top of each Vega's cabinet as close to center as I can get. JUST TO TEST!

I ALSO noticed awhile ago, my TV doesn't support surround technologies, so the audio output from it, analog OR optical, doesn't trigger my surround receiver's AFD to switch to Dolby or DTS automatically. So to test the 3.1 idea, I hooked up the PS4 via optical to my DVD IN on the receiver. Once setup, the receiver is going into DTS automatically, and the display shows DTS 3/2. So I'm undoubtedly in 3.1 now, at least for the PS4.

It is definitely neat, but not quite sure what I think just yet... I'm noticing the center channel isn't VOICE only, its like a mono left and right blend that audio just pans through before it gets to either channel its going to. Hard to explain... I was hoping only voice would come through. I'll try an actual movie instead of games. Not throwing the idea out, just want to see what I can do to dial it in. I already had to set center channel to -2 just to get the volume level to match the Vega's. They must not be as sensitive as the Sony speakers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts