Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 333 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

Some of you may remember i made my own waterblock a while back out of an old intel heatsink (here it is). Well I'm back at it again, but this time I'm making it truly from scratch using copper.

I am not a professional photographer but i will do my best to make the thing look good, i have made my own soft box out of a bed sheet but if you have any suggestions to make my pictures look better please tell me.

Updates:
Pictures of raw copper.
Cutting the base plate Part 1.
Cutting the base part 2 and edge cleaning.
Barb
Water contact surface.
Mid plate.
First day progression.
Day two progression.
Water channel ideas.
Water channel progression.
Mid plate water channels almost complete.
Finished mid plate.
Pictures of mid and bottom plate.
Top plate cut and general progress.
Mock up.
Mid plate and top plate together.
Barb holes drilled.
All plates soldered together.
Completed waterblock.
Engraving.
Lapping pictures.
Testing results.
Installed pictures.
Homemade fan controller
Radiator installed and running.

My favourite picture of the whole build.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pictures of raw copper.
This has the big base and some copper tubing which i may or may not use for another project.

The huge piece of copper plate is for sidewalls.

The copper in all ways a bit more than 2Kg and cost me $15 AUD at a local scrapper.

More to come soon.

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
I want to see the results of this
. I've always thought about the same concept as you, running water through a regular heatsink, but never had the tools to do so

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cutting the base plate Part 1

I have started cutting the baseplate.

I started with a hacksaw but that was taking way to long and too much effort so i swapped over to the jigsaw.

This is all the bits.

And just the baseplate, i still have to cut off a little piece yet.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Actually, all my pictures are like yours or worse, but if I can provide any advice, it would be that you could make the center of the image the thing you want to show, hold it there for a second, and slowly take a picture (if you have such a shutter). Also, tie a string around the camera and step on it, then pull against the string to get a good, clean shot. Lastly, take a picture from further away so that it's not as blurry without macro (probably not available on yours?) and then zoom in digitally on your PC before uploading the photo.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cutting the base part 2 and edge cleaning

I cut the last edge with a hacksaw because i didnt have enough room to clamp and use the jigsaw.

The surface is very flat, it looks slightyl rough due to tiny scratches and dirt.

Gonna be having some lunch now so no update for a bit.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
MC for photos, try to use a longer exposure as a way to not use the flash. Composition will help too, think of the rule of thirds.

here's a great example of the rule of thirds. Lighting will help the shot too, but I suck at that. Looking good so far.

1 - 20 of 333 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.