Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, some of you may have heard of my custom made waterblocks (see sig), I have now made a fan controller

Mounted

So far its only 1 channel but i will put another 1 or 2 in. Theoretically i could get 100W per channel out of it.

Schematics.

(sorry if pics are bad, just took them really quickly on my phone)

I am also making a 5.25" bay holder for it with a shiny black faceplate. Thats drying at the moment and i will need to do another coat of paint still.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wow, that looks like a ton of work for something as simple as a fan controller.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CODENAME: KILO View Post
Why not just a potentiometer? Simple knob in the side of the case? or on top?
It wouldn't be able to handle enough power for a single fan, let alone 3.

This design has a potentiometer in it as well.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,099 Posts
Have you tested this and listened to your fans? If I am understanding your controller, you are interrupting the 12v current to control your fans. This may lead to some unpleasant sounds coming from your fans.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ehume View Post
Have you tested this and listened to your fans? If I am understanding your controller, you are interrupting the 12v current to control your fans. This may lead to some unpleasant sounds coming from your fans.
Yes i am using PWM, it is the same technique used by most fan controllers.

For my big fans they make a slight ticking noise so i will add an extra capacitor on the fan output.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by T3h_Ch33z_Muncha View Post
Pro.
Proffesional: A person who is paid for what they do.

I don't think he is being paid for this, but it is quiet awesome!

+rep for the OP!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by WTHbot
View Post

+rep for the OP!

Well i am doing this so i dont have to pay someone else to make it, therefore i am sort of paying myself to do it.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,099 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcpetrolhead
View Post

Yes i am using PWM, it is the same technique used by most fan controllers.

For my big fans they make a slight ticking noise so i will add an extra capacitor on the fan output.

Most fan controllers. The pwm controllers send a periodic signal on a special 5v line, which fan circuitry interprets as a speed signal. Other posters have said that most fan controllers operate by using cicuitry to vary voltage output. If some fan controllers use interrupted 12v current, it would explain why they make some fans sound so crappy.

I will be very interested to learn that your capacitor fixes the switching noise (ticking problem). If so, it would solve problems for many fans.

·
Banned
11,112 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WTHbot View Post

+rep for the OP!
...or it could mean that his work is to the quality of a professional*. Also, who says he wouldn't be paid for selling these

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ehume
View Post

Most fan controllers. The pwm controllers send a periodic signal on a special 5v line, which fan circuitry interprets as a speed signal. Other posters have said that most fan controllers operate by using cicuitry to vary voltage output. If some fan controllers use interrupted 12v current, it would explain why they make some fans sound so crappy.

I will be very interested to learn that your capacitor fixes the switching noise (ticking problem). If so, it would solve problems for many fans.

My power has been off for the whole day until now, I will put on a capacitor asap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by T3h_Ch33z_Muncha
View Post

...or it could mean that his work is to the quality of a professional*. Also, who says he wouldn't be paid for selling these

I'm not sure about selling. If I was to sell i would need to make up proper boards which will cost a fair bit and which i cant really be bothered doing. But if there are any special requests for high powered fan controllers I would happily make a one off controller if the price is right.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well its in the case.

I put a second potentiometer in but i haven't wired it up yet because i need some more components.

The fan above is running off of it.

There is still a gap between the knobs and the faceplate which i will probably get rid of later.

The whole front of my case. I modded in some blue LEDs down the bottom to make it look better (its only an $80 case and it came with a psu).

Sorry for bad pics but its getting late and i had my phone on me.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by custommadename View Post
This is great! You finished this mod pretty quickly. I'm glad to see it's done and working.
Well i have stretched it over 3 days, I could have gotten it done in 1 but i had a huge hangover on sunday and the power was out for most of today.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.