Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I would like to hook up an Xbox to a monitor, however a few problems arise.

1) Does the xbox require HDCP? If it does, is it best to just buy a monitor with a HDMI slot and HDCP compatability?

2) Sound! If i get a monitor with an audio in or audio out jack (3.5mm) can i plug my speakers in without fooling around with wiring it through my PC?

3) I really dont want to have to leave my PC on while gaming to get sound - ways round this guys?

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinaazaka View Post
Hello,

I would like to hook up an Xbox to a monitor, however a few problems arise.

1) Does the xbox require HDCP? If it does, is it best to just buy a monitor with a HDMI slot and HDCP compatability?

2) Sound! If i get a monitor with an audio in or audio out jack (3.5mm) can i plug my speakers in without fooling around with wiring it through my PC?

3) I really dont want to have to leave my PC on while gaming to get sound - ways round this guys?
1) I'm almost certain it doesn't require HDCP
2) The '360 only has optical out, so I guess you need some device which splits the sound from your HDMI cable so that you can plug it into the 3.5mm input on your monitor.
3) As above I guess.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, one of those monitors with freeview built in would work well, cause the speakers on the monitor wouldnt suck complete <insert questionable language here> I believe? Then I could just whack in the hdmi and fire away, right?

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Quote:

So, one of those monitors with freeview built in would work well, cause the speakers on the monitor wouldnt suck complete <insert questionable language here> I believe? Then I could just whack in the hdmi and fire away, right?
I see no reason why not. Seeing as they're basically TVs, you should have no problem with one. They're designed for devices such as games consoles, DVD/Blu-ray players etc. to be plugged in to them and have audio coming through the HDMI

·
Introibo Ad Altar Dei
2,064 Posts
You need to get the VGA+RCA Xbox 360 adapter, which is what I have.

Then you need an RCA to Stereo Female converter, which will enable you to plug in your speakers to the xbox and play on the monitor by way of VGA, it's what I do, and it works perfectly.

HDMI through your monitor will suck, you don't want to use that because you can't get the sound onto your speaker setup.

Just get this stuff. That's what I, and a lot of friends do.

Links:

Amazon.com: Global Game Gear Brand VGA Cable for Xbox 360 with stereo audio and 2.5mm adapter: Video Games Amazon.com: Global Game Gear Brand VGA Cable for Xbox 360 with stereo audio and 2.5mm adapter: Video Games

Amazon.com: RiteAV - 3.5mm to RCA Stereo Female Cable - 6 inch: Musical Instruments Amazon.com: RiteAV - 3.5mm to RCA Stereo Female Cable - 6 inch: Musical Instruments

·
In a van...DOWNBYTHERIVER
3,589 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atomagenesis View Post
You need to get the VGA+RCA Xbox 360 adapter, which is what I have.

Then you need an RCA to Stereo Female converter, which will enable you to plug in your speakers to the xbox and play on the monitor by way of VGA, it's what I do, and it works perfectly.

HDMI through your monitor will suck, you don't want to use that because you can't get the sound onto your speaker setup.

Just get this stuff. That's what I, and a lot of friends do.

Links:
Amazon.com: Global Game Gear Brand VGA Cable for Xbox 360 with stereo audio and 2.5mm adapter: Video Games

Amazon.com: RiteAV - 3.5mm to RCA Stereo Female Cable - 6 inch: Musical Instruments
HDMI > VGA. I use the VGA setup but if I had an HDMI output I'd be using that.

·
Introibo Ad Altar Dei
2,064 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madman340 View Post
HDMI > VGA. I use the VGA setup but if I had an HDMI output I'd be using that.
I never said it wasn't, and if I could afford to drop that much cash I would as well, HDMI to DVI + Optical splitters cost a lot, not to mention you have to buy another converter to convert the optical to RCA, then ANOTHER splitter to RCA to Stereo Female, lol, it's not worth it.

You could use what SkyLit proposed, but on older xboxs, not the slim, its hard to plug in the Xbox jack and an HDMI cable, but it looks small enough that it wouldn't get in the way of plugging in the HDMI in the non-slim versions of the 360.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Judging by the fact that the OP talked about hooking up his 360 to the monitor speakers, I'd say he doesn't have a speaker setup. Could be wrong though...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How's the picture quality at 1080p with that VGA cable?

Oh. And one second.

My Speakers have a green 3.5mm cable that's male..as in, it uh its long and pokey out, it cant have stuff plugged into it. It does, however have a little headset port on its volume control..do i plug this in there? I have Logitech LS21 speakers (they were cheap
)

·
In a van...DOWNBYTHERIVER
3,589 Posts
It's good, but it's better with HDMI.

As for audio, just get what one of the higher posts said, http://www.overstock.com/Books-Movie...i_sku=12913011

and then an RCA to 3.5mm adapter...
http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10218

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atomagenesis View Post
I never said it wasn't, and if I could afford to drop that much cash I would as well, HDMI to DVI + Optical splitters cost a lot, not to mention you have to buy another converter to convert the optical to RCA, then ANOTHER splitter to RCA to Stereo Female, lol, it's not worth it.

You could use what SkyLit proposed, but on older xboxs, not the slim, its hard to plug in the Xbox jack and an HDMI cable, but it looks small enough that it wouldn't get in the way of plugging in the HDMI in the non-slim versions of the 360.
You don't HAVE to use optical.

·
Introibo Ad Altar Dei
2,064 Posts
VGA can do as high as 1920x1080 at 60hz, I believe, but may be wrong. And you won't notice any difference in video quality unless you're pushing 120hz (which HDMI can do), there are numerous threads and websites explaining that the video quality is pretty much the same for HDMI and VGA at [email protected], most of them actually say VGA looks slightly better.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Quote:

How's the picture quality at 1080p with that VGA cable?

Oh. And one second.

My Speakers have a green 3.5mm cable that's male..as in, it uh its long and pokey out, it cant have stuff plugged into it. It does, however have a little headset port on its volume control..do i plug this in there? I have Logitech LS21 speakers (they were cheap
)

i have used the VGA HD cable that people mentioned, as well as the HDMI from the xbox, and theres little to no quality difference. it can handle 1080p with ZERO issues.

For the speakers, use a RCA to headphone jack, then a male to male (its actually a female-female) audio jack. like 3 bucks at radio shack. i do this for my setup, works wonderfully.

See images for reference:

This one converts the red/white RCA to a normal headphone jack.

This one connects to the above headphone jack, and allows you to plug anything that is a 3.5mm jack into it. (speakers, headphones, ect...)

There is no noticable quality loss too, if you were wondering.

Quote:

Where does the wide end of the first cable plug in?
That first plug he listed is actually pretty cool. The wide end plugs in where the normal video connection is on the 360, and that just gives audio, then the HDMI provides video/audio, but if the device its connected to doesnt have speakers for the HDMI to pass audio to, then you use the optical/RCA for audio. And thats an awesome price too, and depending on what cables you could find at a radioshack or something could do the same thing as the pictures i listed above, but you would need a male to male RCA too, unless you just found a male RCA to 3.5mm then used the female-female coupler.

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts

·
Introibo Ad Altar Dei
2,064 Posts
Yeah, I get all my cables from monoprice.com fast shipping and they are cheaper than anywhere else. Great company. I don't know if they ship to the UK though.

·
MEGABYTE ME
2,765 Posts
I have my 360 hooked to my PC monitor via HDMI and I use my monitor's Headphone jack to run to my Receiver

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wait.

If my monitor has a headphone jack.. I can just whack the speakers 3.5mm green cable thingy into it..and it will work?

Damn, I'm confused again now..so many ways to do this.

Monitor of choice is LG W2261VP, it has a 3.5mm headphone jack and a HDMI port. If i stick the speakers into the 3.5mm jack and the xbox into the HDMI port, will i get sound?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts