Overclock.net banner

Hooray for first OC!

705 views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  Kopi 
#1 ·
Well, I decided I wanted to get some more life out of my 2.5 GHz Celeron (Northwood core) before I dumped it for an Athlon 64 3700+ Sandy, and decided to OC it. I've got it at 2.75 GHz, with a 110MHz FSB and a 25x Multiplier (!). I think I'm gonna up the FSB to 120, giving me 3 GHz flat, and see if it's stable... I know it's not anything major, but it did raise my 3DMark03 score by 270 marks.
I'll post CPUZ verification in a little bit, gotta get the internet working on it again... I'm on the laptop right now.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah, I saw my FBS and thought it was really low for 2.5GHz...

It's at 2.85 (115 x 25) currently, crunching some numbers to check for stability.

Internet's still not working.

#4 ·
Darn. Windows wouldn't load at 3 GHz (120 x 25), so I lowered the FSB to 117, but still no luck. Brought it back to 115 x 25, Working all right. My BIOS has crap for options, so it looks like I'm stuck here.

#5 ·
Well I dont know anything about celly's, but hey you OC'd, and thats all that matters. Right now im only running stock which is 133x18, locked multiplier aswell. I don't think you can unlock your multiplier but if you could that would be make a huge impact on your OC.

#6 ·
I dont know the stock speeds of your videocard, but 1.1GhZ looks pretty awesome. If that isn't OC'd you should give that a shot? Its uber easy!

[EDIT] Just made 2 posts one after the other for no reason, and I dont know why

#8 ·
Sorry about double posting (again
), but I ran 3DMark03 last night right before going to bed, and got a 7849 with my CPU at 2.875 and my 6600GT at 575/1.15. That killed my previous score (7542) by more than 300!

I also ran through the Prime95 Benchmarks, but I don't really know what all the scores mean, so...

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Namrac

got a 7849 with my CPU at 2.875 and my 6600GT at 575/1.15. That killed my previous score (7542) by more than 300!

That's the way.
That's what this is all about.

Quote:

I also ran through the Prime95 Benchmarks, but I don't really know what all the scores mean, so...

Prime95 is used in the overclocking community for testing system stability. If you can run your system for 24 hours on blend then you are running a very stable system and overclock.

#11 ·
Quote:

Alright... I ran it for about 3 hours, but my temps worried me (56* C) So I shut it off.

Your Celeron "D" is a Prescott Processor. Download:

CPU-Z
http://www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php

and run it. What is the Processor Stepping? Three hours running prime95 and 56C is not a bad showing for a Prescott and I would think that you are using the D(0) stepping which is a cooler stepping than the C(0) stepping.

Prescott processors dissapate more than 50 Watts above a Northwood processor so one expects a higher thermal envelope. As a matter of a fact, Intel uses a technique called "Strained Silicon Process" which not only improves the transistor performance but also allows a higher thermal envelope. You have no worry running that processor at 56C full load.

As a matter of a fact, Pentium 4E (Prescott) processors run close to that level on idle (stock heatsink/fan) due to their four times larger cache.

R

#16 ·
Alright, sorry to keep dragging this topic up, but I ran Prime95's Torture Test from 6 PM last night to 6:45 this morning. Everything looked alright. Oddly, though, temps never got above 51* C... even though I've got a slightly higher OC than I did when I got 56* after just a few hours. Anyone know why this is? My case is open, so I guess its possible that the colder night air affected it... oh well. It's at 27* now, according to SpeedFan, with just it and FireFox open.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.