Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For now, I wont be able to overclock, because of my stupid H67 board, but that is besides the point. This holiday season, I want to jump ship onto the I5 2500K or some form of I5 Sandy Bridge. Reason? I do a lot of gaming, and recording with FRAPS. Since I record with FRAPS, I have to render the files if I want them to be small.

With all this rendering I do (which is like 3, 20 minute videos every day, and possibly more), would switching to really any Quad-Core lower my rendering times significantly?

I haven't had my I5 rig in a long time and the I3 is just starting to not cut it.

thumb.gif

·
Storage Nut
21,113 Posts
You will see ~ 50% faster render times. I have both. An i5 is about equal to my i7 930 as well lol. If you want get the 2600k. The more the threads the better.
wink.gif

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
If you want speedy rendering, an i7 would be a better choice. I don't think the i3 to i5 transition would make much of a difference, as they both have four threads, assuming similar clocks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWebster;15216825
NICE DIFFERENCE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtHop;15216833
REALLY NO DIFFERENCE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cee;15216839
I7 IS PRETTY, BUT THE I5 WILL BE GOOD
Quite. And this i7... Really worth it? Like, the i7 2600k is another $100 more than the i5. I know I do a ton of rendering, but is it really worth that extra moolah?

·
Storage Nut
21,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xBxJxPx;15216864
Quite. And this i7... Really worth it? Like, the i7 2600k is another $100 more than the i5. I know I do a ton of rendering, but is it really worth that extra moolah?
Well, the i7 would roughly make your renders 2x faster while the i5 will make them 1.5x faster. It's up to you. It helps having 8 threads when live streaming live gameplay and heavy multitasking too.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
If you can afford it and put the chip to good use, I really see no reason not to get the 2600. For just gaming, the 2500 would get you by, but gaming and FRAPS, I think the i7 would be the better option.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see. I'll definitely look into saving that "little extra" to get it! I don't think Intel is releasing anything that will blow many of the Sandy Bridges out of the water yet so I would be safe with buying an i7...

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtHop;15216833
I don't think the i3 to i5 transition would make much of a difference, as they both have four threads, assuming similar clocks.
I don't think you quite understand how much more powerful real threads are than hyperthreaded threads.

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
wait for bulldozer....8 real cores might be better at encoding and stuff like that.

or not, and then you can just get an i7

·
Registered
60 Posts
2600K is maximum about ten percent faster than 2500K, so I recommend i5. It would be nice if you could sell i3 and Mobo, and buy something better, like ASUS P8P67, or P8Z68-V.

·
Storage Nut
21,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluephoenix;15217179
2600K is maximum about ten percent faster than 2500K, so I recommend i5. It would be nice if you could sell i3 and Mobo, and buy something better, like ASUS P8P67, or P8Z68-V.
:lachen:Hahahahahahahahaha...no. Although I agree with the mobo.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilmaypoop;15217073
I don't think you quite understand how much more powerful real threads are than hyperthreaded threads.
Agree with you there. An i3 isn't going to touch an i5 in rendering... 4 threads or not. Especially since the SB i3s can't even overclock.

·
Storage Nut
21,113 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts