Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I'm building a computer and would like some input. This isn't my first, but it's the first one I've made with OC'ing in mind. I'd appreciate any input, but especially in regard to cooling and OC'ing.

Build Needs: Needs to be, well, economic (well, bang for your buck, anyways). Would like to OC the cpu to at least 4Ghz. I plan on doing a lot of 3D modeling and image editing, but I'd like to be able to play graphical games as well. Having an upgradeable build is very important to me (That said, I have no interest in having the potential to crossfire in the future). Plan on using the IGP until Christmas, when I'll hopefully be able to get a good deal on a video card like the 5870. I tried to pick out a motherboard I read could OC. Everything else seems to check out, at least. That is, the MB has built in graphics, upgrade potential (USB 3.0 and sata), and doesn't cost too much.

Parts I already have:
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147148
PSU: XION PowerReal AXP-850R14N 850W ATX 12V v2.2 / EPS 12V v2.91
Hard Drive: SAMSUNG EcoGreen F2 HD154UI 1.5TB SATA 3.0Gb
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

Going to get:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T (the 1055t is very tempting, though, but the 1090t OC's a lot better, right? I'm pretty much positive I want one of the two, anyways)
Motherboard :ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0

I'm having a really hard time deciding on the cooling and where to place it. Should I go with water cooling for the processor, like Corsair CWCH50-1 120mm, or should I go with something like the Tuniq 120mm Magnetic Fluid Dynamic Heatsink? Or ZALMAN CNPS10X FLEX?

Watercooling kind of confuses me. I keep hearing that it's really good, but I keep getting the feeling that there must be something bad about it since it doesn't seem to be too common. I'm always getting this vibe that it's only for hardcore OC'ers. Is this true? At 74 dollars the water-cooling model doesn't cost much more then a good heatsink, but will a cheaper water cooling unit compare well against a good heatsink?

Fan placement. There's a spot for a fan in the back and front of the case, as well as spots for two on the side. Is it worthwhile to stick a fan on each of these spots? Which should be facing which way? I'm pretty lost on this. I was thinking the one on the front would draw air into it as well as the bottom fan on the side, while the top fan on the side would draw air out along with the one in the back, but I don't really know too much about this.
Any advice appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
I would get the 1055. You can OC it just as well as the 1090. You just have to do it the hard way, since the multiplier is locked.
If you get an air cooler, there are better choices than the Tuniq or Zalman, especially for those prices. The Noctua NH-D14 and the Thermalright Venomous-X are OCN favorites. The Thermaltake Frio and CM V6 are also good choices. Honestly, the market offers plenty of choices at many different price points.
If you go liquid, the H5O is a solid choice. The H70 performs even better, but costs over $100.
Some air coolers are known to beat the H5O in performance. Not sure how much better the H7O holds up. I haven't kept up with reviews.

• Rep+
Reactions: YourCyborg

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
H70 is unpassable by air coolers.

As for the H50, it's a very good performer against the air coolers. It's not really a true liquid cooling system, it's a sealed loop. But the thing is, it's very dependant on fans. The H50 wiith good quality fans will normally outperform other coolers. That's with the i7 though, not the 1050t. But i'm sure it'll be just as good.

C

• Rep+
Reactions: YourCyborg

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
If you're going to properly overclock a Thuban and are a gamer, you might as well save some money and get the 1055t. Anandtech showed large gains in fps by overclocking the cpu-nb, so using a high cpu multiplier wouldn't be the way to go.

The Noctua is a great air cooler if you're not slapping a limit on the cooler's price. If you're looking for the best deal, I'd have to say CM Hyper 212.

As far as airflow, you want to create a wind tunnel drawing in cool, ambient air and exhausting it out the back. Front fans should be intake as well as the side fans, but the rear fans should be exhausting.

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
Just to add to the good advice above , make sure you get some high cfm fans.
Something like the gentle typhoons , they push a lot of air while still remaining fairly quiet. Also the SAMSUNG EcoGreen is better used as a storage drive rather than an OS drive as it´s a lot slower.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice, everyone!
I guess I'll go with the 1055t instead of the 1090t for the cpu. Still arguing with myself about how I'm going to cool it, but I think I'm going to go with the Noctua NH-D14. It's a little on the expensive side, but I feel richer now that I'm getting the 1055t instead of the 1090t.

@sccr64472
I would click the 'rep +' button along with everyone else, but I'm afraid I'll change your unique rep. 666
is much cooler then 667, right?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts