Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

What may be the experience of folks here?

Have 4+ year old self build with a eVGA 560 ti, Recently it developed serrated horizontal white lines on the screen and lost the usual resolution of 1080. It now only offers a limited selection of resolutions. The lines are present in start up in the BIOS and under all conditions (net surf, streaming TV, game play). In fact in game it mouse stutters and moves slow. Ruled out the monitor cuz hooked up laptop and it is fine. Run pretty clean but dusted any way and reset all cord/wiring. Also deleted all old drivers, then reinstalled on clean install. Is this little doggie done for or might this "baking" deal work ?

Thanks for any ideas.

I am okay if it is gone and if so what might be a good card nowadays for around the $300 to$400 range?

Bunny Slippers

·
Old to Overclock.net
4,088 Posts

·
Old to Overclock.net
4,088 Posts

·
Old to Overclock.net
4,088 Posts
I would personally wait for the 1070 to come out though or maybe even Polaris from the red camp! They're supposed to be 980Ti performance around the $350 price range!

·
Old to Overclock.net
4,088 Posts

·
New001
2,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_thaddeus View Post

If you want something cheaper (since your card is dying) right now, someone just posted this!

http://www.overclock.net/t/1600025/fs-evga-960-gtx-ftw-4gb-acx-2-0/0_20#post_25155680

That would be a good jump from your 560Ti and only at $180, I'm sure you can haggle him down some!
Or even just get a card like the AMD HD5450, can pick one up for around $20 new from most shops, use that till the 1070/1080 drops, pick one of those up, and have a cheaper card that can sit in a box without worry for next time you have graphics issues and need a spare card to keep a machine running
smile.gif

Unless you have onboard video, then just use that till the 1070 comes out.
biggrin.gif

Also, I would try baking it, just for fun. It's an old card with no warranty, you have nothing to lose and some to gain.
tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
I had this problem with my GTX 960. It was a bum card that developed white lines and stopped showing up in device manager after about one day of use. I left it in the box intending to RMA for a good 8 months and tried it again, where it worked for a day, and then bit the dust.

Today I stripped the damn thing and baked it in the oven for ten minutes. Runs like a champ now. Not sure about longevity, but from my experience and what I keep reading, GPU baking has a pretty high success rate. I recommend giving it a go. Word of advice if you do: turn on a fan or open a window. It makes a bit of a weird smell.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts