Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since CAD programs are becoming more common here in the modding community; I figured we should start up an archive of hosted CAD models of various PC components. I've already posted several Pro-E models that I made a while back to get things going. If you have any models you'd like to submit, please let me know and we'll get them hosted as well. Also, if you would like to port any of the existing models into a different format, please submit the new file and we will add that to the list as well.

A categorized list of all the available models (including thumbnailed screenshots) is provided in the second post of this thread.

I'd like to add that for Pro-E models that are created in the commercial version cannot be opened in the educational version and vice versa; similar restrictions may exist in other CADD packages as well. I have found out that there are several sites that sell downloadable versions of professional software packages at lower cost than the retail; so be sure to look around
Also, Autodesk offers a free educational copy of Inventor to anyone with an *.edu email address through the Autodesk Student Community; and as far as I know there are no limitations in terms of file compatibility between the educational and professional versions, though the files created in the education version will contain a stamp indicating that when printing.

For those interested in Google Sketchup, please visit this thread.

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Super Moderator
23,750 Posts
This makes designing so much easier

Any chance you could make the following too:

- Fan Controller
- DVD Drive
- HDD

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mega_option101 View Post
This makes designing so much easier

Any chance you could make the following too:

- Fan Controller
- DVD Drive
- HDD

Thanks

I should be able to get to doing a HDD and a DVD Drive; but alas I do not have a fan controller to use as a reference for a model.

·
Super Moderator
23,750 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by radodrill View Post
I should be able to get to doing a HDD and a DVD Drive; but alas I do not have a fan controller to use as a reference for a model.
No worries

Look forward to it.

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deism View Post
I could do a sunbeam rheobus fan controller in Inventor, if it'd be a help, or some other things if requested.
If you would like to make some models as well; that would be appreciated. just LMK, and we will get them hosted as well.

I should be able to get all the models into Solidworks, Inventor, and Pro-E formats; the only thing I haven't figured out is how to get them into Sketchup.

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deism View Post
maybe a CCFL tube for reference or something.
That's easy; I already have one done in Pro-E so I'll just redefine it parametrically then upload, I also have one of the blue logisys inverters modeled

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
What app are you using, I have been tinkering with Rhino 4.0 but am not sure if I like it. I am looking for a program that is very easy to learn but more powerful than sketch-up. If I get the same app as you use do you think you can help in my learning?

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Villainstone View Post
What app are you using, I have been tinkering with Rhino 4.0 but am not sure if I like it. I am looking for a program that is very easy to learn but more powerful than sketch-up. If I get the same app as you use do you think you can help in my learning?
I personally use Pro-E Wildfire 4; of all the CAD programs I've used thus far it's my favorite. There's actually a good series of instructional books by SDC Publications.

And Yes I'd be glad to help you learn how to use it. The good thing is that for the most part the major differences between various CAD packages come down to differences in the user interface.

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've added the CCFL tube and CCFL inverter in Pro-E WF4 format; will have the Inventor versions up shortly.

·
Registered
520 Posts
It's a good program, however the full version is pretty costly, AutoCAD LT being $450+ alone.

Are you a student, and do you have a .edu email address? You can then get copies that expire after 1 year for free, and you can simply renew to the newest version every year as long as you have your .edu email address.

oh btw Radodrill i'm having problems with Inventor on vista 64 so once I get that chocked out i'll work on the fan controller some more. My last 2 exams tomorrow so I didn't have the time to tinker with it a lot today.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm new to cadd, but i have a 13-month license of Inventor through this class i'm in, so if there's any part i can help out with, just let me know : )

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Feel free to model any PC components that would be useful to modders (i.e. PSUs, Pumps, Cases, etc). The only request I have is that you try to be as exact as possible.

I'm currently redoing the models for the fan, fan grill, and radiator to be defined parametrically with a family table so I'll be able a range of different sizes of those parts without having to completely redo the model for each instance.

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Armadi110 View Post
Nice idea, i personally use SW2k7 (check sig for work), what format are you after?
You've done some nice work

I'd like to offer the models in as many formats as possible (at least the most widely used formats). It shouldn't be much of an issue to convert models between most professional CADD packages; I'll try converting my Pro-E models to Solidworks format over the weekend.

The only problem so far is I have not been able to get them into a format that's readable by sketchup; as I would like to offer them in that format as well since a lot of modders tend to use Sketchup.

One minor issue I came across when converting to Inventor [art file format is that Inventor does not read the part files from Pro-E WF4 so I had to export as a neutral file then import that, so the inventor models do not have all the individual features, just the completed geometry.

I'll report how I fare in converting to Solidworks once I have that installed.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.