Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I recently built a computer for my buddy and noticed it was getting a little hot. Under prime95 full load it got to 64c with it hovering around 44 idle

I made a few changes in the bios to try and got the 3 pin case fans to run at a full 1000rpm through some bios butchery, I also reapplied the paste from stock to a70 paste.

After the changes the temps are now hovering idle at 39-40 and prime95 load at 53-56

I guess my main question is, IS THIS OKAY? It is the middle of winter and I'm worried it will get past 60c in the hot summer days as his room is south facing the sun. Any suggestions on cooling it further WITHOUT spending anymore money.

Current setup is:

Stock Heatsink with A70 paste
2x Stock case fans, 1 140mm and 1 120mm (nzxt) (3 pins)
1x 1000rpm fan. (3 pins)

2 exhaust (1 back 1 top)
1 intake (1000rpm fan front)

Really looking for anything I can do here, the bios is ASUS, the build is:

ASUS M5A97
Mushkin Silverline stiletto 8gb
AMD Phenom II 955 x4 (BE)
GTX 560 Evga
NZXT Source elite 210
Coolermaster 550W extreme power plus

·
Registered
5,447 Posts

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrEaK(TM) View Post

2 lines about 1/3 of the processor in length and less than a bb in width/depth
I tried disabling cool'n'quiet but it seemed to make no difference. It is now enabled at the best temps ive had.
Try just a small bb in the middle, nothing else, and report back. Other than that, maybe low airflow or needs a bios update.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Doesn't really surprise me. My 965 BE would run about the same at stock. More airflow would help, but a heatsink is cheaper than a case..

• Rep+
Reactions: Skagi

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mine was hot as well around those temps, im not sure if you can install the heatsink in 2 positions and only 1 is correct or both are the same.

You should check on the bios, on monitoring or somewhere i don`t remember right now, to increase or check the heatsink rpm profile.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by pursuinginsanity View Post

Doesn't really surprise me. My 965 BE would run about the same at stock. More airflow would help, but a heatsink is cheaper than a case..
Thanks, that makes me a lot more comfortable. We're past his budget right now, maybe in the summer he'll pony up 30$ for a heatsink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boinz View Post

Try just a small bb in the middle, nothing else, and report back. Other than that, maybe low airflow or needs a bios update.
This guide was posted by someone on the forums http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=150&Itemid=62 (down right now). it clearly shows that 2 lines is significantly better than 1 dot. I've noticed similar results, and I can't see myself hoping to gain more than 4-5c in temps from a paste change (which I've done).
Quote:
Originally Posted by pel View Post

Mine was hot as well around those temps, im not sure if you can install the heatsink in 2 positions and only 1 is correct or both are the same.
You should check on the bios, on monitoring or somewhere i don`t remember right now, to increase or check the heatsink rpm profile.
Thanks, makes me a bit more comfortable.

The RPM's for the heatsink hover around 2200, its profile is "Turbo" but I might set it to something custom later.

Thanks for the attempts to help so far guys, I'm a bit more comfortable with the temp, but would still love to see 3-4c less.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts